2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Car Smoking badly! Looking for a good dealer in Central VA

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/06, 11:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Smoking badly!

Hello All,

My 06 GT has occasionally smoked a little on cold start-up since new. I researched it and got some opinions saying it was not that uncommon with the 4.6's when they are new and breaking in. My car is now 10 months old with 3900 miles and over the past several weeks it has now gotten much worse. A large blue-ish white cloud bellows out of the exhaust almost everytime I start the car. It now even does it when the engine is warm. (Sitting for as little a 45 minutes after running) I am thinking valve seal since it does appear to be oil smoke. Yesterday, I was at a car show, and it smoked so bad the guy parked behind me with a gorgeous 70 Boss 302, thought his car had caught on fire! I am looking for a dealer in the central Virginia area that is not going to give me some b.s. about my powder coated cam covers or suspension mods voiding my warranty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 9/24/06, 12:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you noticed the car using any oil when you check the dipstick?
Old 9/24/06, 03:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by theedge67
Have you noticed the car using any oil when you check the dipstick?
I have not noticed any oil consumption yet. I just changed the oil and filter again last week (Mobil 1 5w-20) just to rule out any chance of oil contamination. That was really stretching I know but figured it couldn't hurt.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 9/25/06, 11:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Definitely need to get that checked out by the dealer, a little bit of oil makes a LOT of smoke, but it should never be burning enough to be smoking. The longer you wait the more chance of damage to the emissions system too...sensors can get fouled, cats can get clogged...etc.
Old 9/25/06, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

check your plugs if its wet
Old 10/9/06, 02:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Update on Smoking 06 GT

Well, last week I took the car in for the smoking issue. (See my first post above) They have had the car since last Wednesday and called once last week to say they could duplicate the smoke, could not figure it out, so they called their Tech Line. Today, the Ford Tech line response was that this is normal! It is just water vapor burning off. THE WHOLE BACK END OF THE CAR DISAPPEARS IN BLUISH WHITE SMOKE ON AN 80 PLUS DEGREE DAY, ONE HOUR AFTER SHUTDOWN, AND THIS IS NORMAL??. The service manager was very reasonable but claims his hands are tied by Ford. I guess it is time to call the customer service number (which I have very little faith in) Again this car is not yet a year old with 4000 miles on it.
Old 10/9/06, 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
That answer is bull crap. Water vapor burning off is MUCH different than blue smoke (oil burning).

Do NOT take that answer lying down. I think you are right about a bad valve seal(s). Did you pull the plugs to see if they have residue? Maybe that might help your case.
Old 10/9/06, 02:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Haven't pulled the plugs yet. Trying to sort this out with Ford first. I am convinced that is not condensation. I am really dreading opening this can of worms.
Old 10/9/06, 03:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

If your car has mobil one in it their a good chance the smoke is not oil. An old used car thick if a car burns oil put mobil one in it and it won"t smoke? mobil one will not burn to past 800 degree. If you have a tune you might be running to rich cold? Call your tuner first . This happen to me after I installed a tune!! just a thought?
Old 10/9/06, 04:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by boss429man
An old used car thick if a car burns oil put mobil one in it and it won"t smoke?
Old 10/9/06, 05:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by creggleton
Well, last week I took the car in for the smoking issue. (See my first post above) They have had the car since last Wednesday and called once last week to say they could duplicate the smoke, could not figure it out, so they called their Tech Line. Today, the Ford Tech line response was that this is normal! It is just water vapor burning off. THE WHOLE BACK END OF THE CAR DISAPPEARS IN BLUISH WHITE SMOKE ON AN 80 PLUS DEGREE DAY, ONE HOUR AFTER SHUTDOWN, AND THIS IS NORMAL??. The service manager was very reasonable but claims his hands are tied by Ford. I guess it is time to call the customer service number (which I have very little faith in) Again this car is not yet a year old with 4000 miles on it.
Ive noticed some blue smoke on my cold start-ups too! I have only 1200 mile on my GT. Changed oil at 48 miles to Royal purple and a ford racing filter, I to have a performance tune, from Brenspeed.com maybe I had better call them!
Old 10/9/06, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by creggleton
Haven't pulled the plugs yet. Trying to sort this out with Ford first. I am convinced that is not condensation. I am really dreading opening this can of worms.
E-mail me with your phone # and I'll call and tell you the best place to take the car to get you problems fixed.

Earl
Old 10/9/06, 11:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
E-mail me with your phone # and I'll call and tell you the best place to take the car to get you problems fixed.

Earl
Email sent.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 10/10/06, 04:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am in Maine and it is alot colder here right now than where you are and in the morning all I get is light smoke, which is normal as its been cold in the high 30's and low 40's here now for a week or two. You are getting the BS job but sounds like you already know that. If you get the normal load of sh*t from the Ford helpline from the person in India who is going to answert to help you then Id call your state agency that handls lemon law stuff. Sucks but you dont have alot of recourse for fast action.
Old 10/10/06, 07:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sounds like BS to me. Rich mixture usually results in black smoke, not blue or white. Sounds like a problem to me. If the car has a tune, you may want to contact the tuner just to see, but I'm betting they're going to say no way to the white or blue smoke.
Old 10/10/06, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Did Earl help you out Craig?
Old 10/10/06, 03:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 95SVTCobraVA
Did Earl help you out Craig?

Yes he did. I will be calling Jeff in the morning. I just got off the phone with the Ford Customer Service line with their "solution". Same deal, tech line says condensation. In short, I told them this was unacceptable. BTW Tony, Did you happen to see my car smoke at your show on the 23rd? It was a beauty!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Craig
Old 10/11/06, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nah I didn't get to see your smokefest Craig

I hope you had fun at the show
Old 10/11/06, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

The '06 I traded did the exact same thing at cold startup with 3000m miles. I never noticed it when I first got it. Big bluish cloud for the first few seconds then nothing after that until the car sat for a few days. Mobil 1 oil at the 1000mi oil change.
Old 10/11/06, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe we should have waited a little longer to switch synthetic.???

Quick Reply: Car Smoking badly! Looking for a good dealer in Central VA