2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Car and Driver does comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/06, 05:38 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Ok, wow. Good on road coarse does not equal good on road. I don't know how you got that. I bet if you drove around a real track car on the streets you would rethink what you have just said. Suspensions that are set up for road racing and perform best on a race track are HORRIBLE for daily driving. Have fun getting your teeth rattled out driving everywhere. And oh yeah, going over speed bumps? Hahah have fun. Go read the Top Gear review on the C6 Z06. Jeremy Clarkson LOVES the car but he said under no circumstances would he want to drive one. This is because the car is set up for the race course and not for normal road driving. You have to suffer in traffic every day just to enjoy the weekend drives.
Well, duh, a race car set up for maximum speed on a road course is not going to be a comfortable street car. But a drag car that is set up lowest et on the 1/4 mile is going to be, by far, worse on the street. That is unless you think driving on the street with 10" wide slicks on the rear and 2" wide tires on the front with 6.30 gears so you're turning 4,000 RPM @ 70 MPH is the optimal setup for comfort and safety on the street.
Old 10/5/06, 05:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, wow. Good on road coarse does not equal good on road. I don't know how you got that. I bet if you drove around a real track car on the streets you would rethink what you have just said. Suspensions that are set up for road racing and perform best on a race track are HORRIBLE for daily driving. Have fun getting your teeth rattled out driving everywhere. And oh yeah, going over speed bumps? Hahah have fun. Go read the Top Gear review on the C6 Z06. Jeremy Clarkson LOVES the car but he said under no circumstances would he want to drive one.
Guess you've never driven a Z06 Vette, Viper, or any Porsche? I know plenty of people whom daily drive all of those models here in pot hole ridden Chicago.
Old 10/6/06, 10:44 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10/6/06, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok, wow. Good on road coarse does not equal good on road. I don't know how you got that. I bet if you drove around a real track car on the streets you would rethink what you have just said.
My $0.02:
a regular production car that was developed with road course and/or rally racing in mind, will be a better performer in all situations than another car developed with drag racing as its #1 priority.
I personally will always prefer a car that had its suspension tune/setup done on the Nuerburgring for example, rather than another one made only to be the best in a straight line, because as many people pointed out, not all roads are straight...
The Ford Mustang is a great car, but much more could have been done by Ford to improve on its handling in all other situations than a nice, straight road...
Old 10/6/06, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Maybe the Mustang isn't for you then. Hardcore Mustang enthusiasts have historically been "hands-on" people who aren't afraid to modify/customize their cars to their liking, whether it be for drag racing, road racing, or just looking cool.

Ford provides the basics (good horsepower, good styling, good ride/handling) and the Mustang enthusiast adds the rest to customize the car to his/her liking.

Not all (mustang) enthusiasts need to modify/customize their vehicles in order to be called "enthusiasts".
I had several cars in my life and only two were modded and for one of them its turbocharger blew and it costed me a LOT of money to get a new unit to put in there. Now, I like to have a car that suits my needs straight out of the box because a) if anything goes wrong, everything can be repaired under warranty and b) I don't have the time and will to mod my car again.
But I still consider myself an enthusiast: I read about all sorts of vehicles (mainly sport/sporty cars) on a daily basis and cars are a very important part of my life and the fact that I don't dabble with my own vehicle doesn't honestly mean a thing.

PS: my Mustang GT is stock and I love its performance, I have no need to mod it.
Old 10/6/06, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Dude, take a deep breath, wipe the foam from your mouth and step away from the window.

Wrong coast, grew up in suburban/rural Maryland. Started driving tractors at 7 years old -- sliding off the seat to work the clutch/brake and barely staring through the top half of the steering wheel -- and worked up from there. Got to shift it into third (top) gear when 10, a seminal life moment if ever there was one!

No racing replicates precisely what a street car encounters on the street. Guess my gist is that road racing comes much closer to that, and thus is a better overall measure of a car's capabilities, than drag racing, which basically tests just one narrow aspect of a cars performance envelope and drivers skill set.

My ideal might be something more along the lines of some combination road racing and rallying on production street cars (with necessary safety mods and bare minimal performance mods only) that are street-legally licensed. Basically the ideal of race it on Sunday, drive it on Monday.

Stang's have the straight ahead and style down pat whereas the turn, stop and other aspects of its dynamic envelope range from adequate to pretty good but really seem to be second tier concerns. While the motor is quite capable of generating great speed, the chassis and brakes are obviously quite a bit less adept at utilizing that speed.

I'd just like to see the Stang flesh out these weaker point, well demonstrated by the C&D article, so that they aren't the Stang's Achille's Heel(s) allowing a FWD 2-liter Chevy econocar have its way with it on anything other than a drag race. The potential is certainly there, what with a great motor and general chassis -- it wouldn't take Ford that much to really take it up a notch or two and turn the tables.
You know what? I've got an idea. Instead of trying to compare STREET cars on a RACE track, lets compare STREET cars on the STREET. Where you yourself said they are meant to perform.