Car Coming Any Day Now UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/04, 11:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Yep, I got it at the price I wanted!
So let me give you the low-down here.
I show up at the dealership and the Sales Manager Ed says my car came in two days early. Just got off the truck an hour ago. So me, my g/f, and my salesmen Bob go to see the car in the back. It was a little dusty and had that blue mustache on the front. I immediately cross-checked the VIN # with my records and saw (thankfully) that they matched. The car appeared to have everything I ordered it with. Black paint, dark charcoal leather interior, anti-theft, optional wheels, IUP, Shaker 500, manual tranny.
Then we went back in to talk price. At first they wouldn't budge. Sticker all the way, and Ed came out with this horrified/shocked look on his face (the sort of face one would make if one asked to have intimate relations with one's mother, lol), and said: "We can't discount this car! I have other people in the order banks waiting! No way!"
So I tell him of my referrals that he'll be missing out on, and that a competing dealer down the road offered me 1k over invoice for an order. I said if they could match it they could have my order and my referrals.
After much, much bickering and me walking out to my car with an appointment to pick up my $500 deposit check tomorrow, and after a loooonnngggg discussion in the middle of parking lot (while my g/f shivered her hiney off, lol) with Bob/Ed who chased after me when I walked out, we finally came to an agreement of $1,750 under MSRP.It came to about $1,650 over invoice. Not too shabby for a hot car and no purchase agreement, if I do say so myself. Now all I have to do is wait for the credit approval call tomorrow. If I get a good interest rate, I'll be happy.
I'm going to straighten out my insurance tomorrow. If all goes well, I will be picking up my Mustang GT Friday. Of course, I will be going over the body/engine compartment with a fine tooth comb and test driving it (definitely listening for that wailing noise from the rear end) before signing on the dotted line. B)
My g/f will take digital pics of me and her with the car Friday and I should be able to post them Saturday or Sunday.
I'll let you guys know if anything goes awry! (crosses fingers) Here's hoping!

Slider to Ice: Launch that stinker yeah!
Old 11/16/04, 11:21 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Congrats, Charlie!!!
Old 11/16/04, 11:40 PM
FR500 Member

Wow, I wouldn't have the patience to wait till Friday, I've got all my ducks in a row ahead of time. The call comes and it's mine! I'll bet you'll have sleepless nights until then.
Old 11/16/04, 11:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh, I WANTED to pick it up on Wednesday - my insurance appointment is early in the morning, and I've got my downpayment sitting in my account waiting. BUT, I couldn't do it because their business manager is off that daya nd my salesman is off on Thursdays. So Friday it is. That's okay, I can wait.
Old 11/16/04, 11:52 PM
Cobra R Member

1,650.00 over invoice seems a bit high too me.Seen lots of other getting anywhere between 500 and 1,000 over invoice.Im kinda curious as too why you didnt also order the side air bags?
Old 11/17/04, 12:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not a big fan of airbags. I have many friends who've had ribs/arms/noses broken by them in minor accidents. Just a personal preference, I suppose. As a secondary factor, it wouldn't take anything extra off my insurance - they go with either the alarm discount or the airbag discount, both are the same amount of money, and they only take one.
Yeah, it is a little high, but that's what I get for not hashing out a price before the hype kicked in, you know? I'm only 21. Live and learn. Could have been worse - I almost had to cancel my order. Well, I did cancel, technically, when they wouldn't budge from sticker... but, as Michael Corleone would say: "They pulled me back in."
Old 11/17/04, 12:12 AM
FR500 Member

I always get a kick out of people who say "you paid too much" or "I've seen people get xxx over invoice".

Bottom line is: if you're happy with it, it's a good deal. With some dealers trying to do markups and the like, you did just fine!
Old 11/17/04, 06:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@November 17, 2004, 1:15 AM
I always get a kick out of people who say "you paid too much" or "I've seen people get xxx over invoice".

Bottom line is: if you're happy with it, it's a good deal. With some dealers trying to do markups and the like, you did just fine!
I agree. Anything under invoice with no pre-hashed price agreement is an outstanding deal at this point in the game.

Though I must say with your bargaining skills and ability to walk away when you don't get close to what you want could have landed you at or below invoice in the spring when all the hype is on the verts.
Old 11/17/04, 06:45 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats but I have to assume the story of another dealer offering it to you for only $1,000.00 has to be just that, a story or you would have gone to him to save another $650.00. Right?
Old 11/17/04, 07:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

wow.

good deal.

Old 11/17/04, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, it was a bit of a lie... they offered $1,500 over invoice, not 1k.
I just didn't feel totally comfortable with the other dealership because they wouldn't put it down in writing. They said they were honest and to "trust" them. Rrrriiiggghhtt.
Anyway, it's off to fix my insurance.