2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Canton overflow tank question

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/06, 09:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Canton overflow tank question

I just pulled the trigger on the Canton overflow tank. Who all has one and will any aftermarket 16psi radiator cap fit this tank??????? I really didn't want to deal w/ rpm outlet for the cap after seeing some posts about their serrvice. I went to Summit's web site and they had several to choose form ranging in price from $17.95 for a CSR cap up to 39.95 for a "Be Cool" brand cap. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 8/7/06, 10:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the canton tank ......looks REAL good!
I bought mine early on and had to make adjustments on the bolt holes.
Maybe the adjusted in newer models?
I drilled each hole abut an 1/8" to the right and left to get it to fit.
Make sure you seal the brass treads with some teflon tape and do not over tighten them. Brass to aluminum is not the best match.
Pretty much any 16# cap will fit. I say as long as you spent the money so far go all out and get the chrome cap. And as long as you are at it...
polish the tank untill it shines toss on a coat or two of car wax and enjoy.
Old 8/8/06, 10:18 AM
V6 Member

I have the Canton tank, fit perfect, I got the cap from RPM and had no problem getting it. Any standard 16psi cap will fit

Old 8/9/06, 05:46 AM
V6 Member

I installed the Canton Tank with the same 16 lb cap from RPM no problems with either of them.I spent about 4 hours hand buffing the tank to get it to look like a mirror finish.
Attached Thumbnails Canton overflow tank question-dscf0116.jpg  
Old 8/9/06, 07:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dumb question, but other than looking totally cool, are there any cooling advantages to putting one of these in?
Old 8/9/06, 08:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MTAS
Dumb question, but other than looking totally cool, are there any cooling advantages to putting one of these in?
I don't think so.........I think it's all about looks. The reason I purchased one is because I painted the black part of my stock tank silver. It looked really good, but the heat under the hood wrinkled the finish. I even used high temp paint. It was nice and glossy at first and each time I drove the car the finish became more and more dull and now has what I'd call a wrinkled finish.
Old 8/28/06, 06:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the look of the Canton and for around 150 bucks it is not a bad dress up item. I am going to get one soon!
Old 10/3/06, 04:15 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I am getting one of these too. My dad just installed one on his 02 and had it polished shiny and it looks sweet.
Anyone know who has the best price and will the MGW radiator cap fit?
Old 10/3/06, 06:13 PM
Cobra R Member

IT's on my list as well, Just need to make a list of what I really need to be done and when......I really need some gauges first. My engine bay is getting along pretty fair right now.
Old 10/3/06, 06:43 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I ordered it from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Still wondering if my MGW cap will fit.
Old 10/3/06, 08:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Donna
I ordered it from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Still wondering if my MGW cap will fit.

I am pretty sure that is the same seller I got mine from a few months ago.
As for the MGW cap, basically if it fits the stock tank, it won't fit the Canton. The Canton tank uses an old style half turn type cap. Not a screw on one.
Attached Thumbnails Canton overflow tank question-picture-007-medium-.jpg   Canton overflow tank question-picture-008-medium-.jpg  
Old 10/4/06, 05:12 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Originally Posted by hawgman
As for the MGW cap, basically if it fits the stock tank, it won't fit the Canton. The Canton tank uses an old style half turn type cap. Not a screw on one.
Thanks for the info. Where did you get your cap from?
Old 10/4/06, 09:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

A little OT, but did you move the PS reservoir yourself? Without too much inspection, it looks like you'd only have to put longer hoses on and bolt it in. Is it that simple? I've been thinking about relocating mine to clear the JLT w/TB spacer. Thanks for any info.
Old 10/5/06, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Donna
Thanks for the info. Where did you get your cap from?
Got it from RPM outlet simply because I travel quite a bit for work, and had ordered the tank while on the road. So I was surfing and saw the cap on RPM and bought it. Was easier than waiting until I got home and chasing one down locally ( I'm lazy like that... ). I am sure I could have gotten a cap at Autozone or Pep Boys or any of those places, just didn't.
Old 10/5/06, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
A little OT, but did you move the PS reservoir yourself? Without too much inspection, it looks like you'd only have to put longer hoses on and bolt it in. Is it that simple? I've been thinking about relocating mine to clear the JLT w/TB spacer. Thanks for any info.
Yup, relocated it to where the Saleen coolant reservoir was and replaced the coolant reservoir with one from a Shelby. I wanted the increased capacity for the intercooler but didn't want to spend >$600 on a larger intercooler. Was the easiest compromise.

Moving the P/S reservoir is no big deal. Five feet of 3/4" hose and five feet of 3/8" hose, couple of brass barbs, couple of hose clamps, jug of fluid, rath of a woman for the stain in the driveway, and it was done. Just make sure you get hose that won't break down with power steering fluid. I got my hoses from a hydraulic shop. Most autoparts stores don't carry 3/4" hose that will work. They carry heater hose and that will swell and get spongy. As for the 3/8" hose, fuel line will work fine.
Old 10/5/06, 10:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thumbs up

Yup, relocated it to where the Saleen coolant reservoir was and replaced the coolant reservoir with one from a Shelby. I wanted the increased capacity for the intercooler but didn't want to spend >$600 on a larger intercooler. Was the easiest compromise.

Moving the P/S reservoir is no big deal. Five feet of 3/4" hose and five feet of 3/8" hose, couple of brass barbs, couple of hose clamps, jug of fluid, rath of a woman for the stain in the driveway, and it was done. Just make sure you get hose that won't break down with power steering fluid. I got my hoses from a hydraulic shop. Most autoparts stores don't carry 3/4" hose that will work. They carry heater hose and that will swell and get spongy. As for the 3/8" hose, fuel line will work fine.
Excellent! Thanks for the tips. And I know all about that wrath My driveway is so messed up from tire foam I should just buy a case of it and do the whole thing