2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cam Cover Question In Regards To Powder Coat

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/06, 01:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cam Cover Question In Regards To Powder Coat

I know there has been a lot of discussion about powder coating cam covers, but I need some help. My covers are at my local powder coating shop and they just called and said there is a soft plastic/rubber tube up inside one or both of the covers. They told me it doesn't appear to be able to come out without damaging it. They also said the tube will never survive the 400-500 degree heat used to bake the finish. What did the rest of you do about this???????? I told my powder coat guy to hold off until I found something out. Please chime in. Thanks.
Old 6/26/06, 04:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you take a pic of what you are talking about? None of the ones I have seen or Kevin has done have a plastic tube inside. Maybe they changed them for the '06 so we can't powder coat them and force you to buy the FRPP covers.
Old 6/26/06, 04:45 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hatchman
Can you take a pic of what you are talking about? None of the ones I have seen or Kevin has done have a plastic tube inside. Maybe they changed them for the '06 so we can't powder coat them and force you to buy the FRPP covers.

The ones I sent you are 06..
Old 6/26/06, 06:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

cam covers

Ok sorry for the confusion, it's not a tube, it's a green triangle that holds the metal tube in place. It is very soft rubber and I can't get it to pull out, and if it did pull out, I'd have to cut it away. Here are pics
Attached Thumbnails Cam Cover Question In Regards To Powder Coat-camcvr-001.jpg   Cam Cover Question In Regards To Powder Coat-camcvr-002.jpg   Cam Cover Question In Regards To Powder Coat-camcvr-003.jpg  
Old 6/26/06, 06:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Any ideas guys and gals.......My powder coat guy says he won't do it with the rubber gasket/seal (whatever it's called) in there. UPDATE: 6-27-06 10:10AM I finally got the piece to pull out. It doesn't hold the tube in place. The tube is still solid without it. I used an exacto and cut one side to get it off the tube. I then replaced it and it appeared to fit just as tight as it did before. I pulled it back out and off to the powder coat shop I go.