2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Call me crazy. Fine, I'm crazy.

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/04, 12:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I was sitting in class today...dreaming of my mustang to be, and I realized something. Why do I want a mustang? I really have always wanted one because they are a great american muscle car, but other cars would fit my needs just as well. Then I wondered, why do I need a fast car, I then realized that I am a VERY conservative driver, rarely exceeding 5 mph over the speed limit. I realized that anything Ford makes would suit me well enough. Now I can't stop thinking that maybe I should get another explorer, a nice black one 02/03. I just don't know, I love the mustangs, but for some reason I have become passive about the whole situation. I am confused, I mean my dorm room is littered with mustang stuff, tin signs, posters, a clock. But I feel that since I do now reside in Colorado a nice explorer might be good. I just am so confused, its driving me nuts. I don't know what to do anymore. If I get a mustang I can have a 5-speed, possibly a V8 04 or a V6 05. That would be a lot of fun. However, I do not have much room to put stuff and I need room for the cross country drives. However, I have had a explorer for about 5 years now and I am perfectly happy, but some times while driving it I pretend it has a manual transmission and that really makes me want a mustang. But since I have an old body style explorer in a crimson red that I am not too fond of maybe that is the reason. I am just so mad at all the vehicular chaos in my head. Does anyone have any advice or encouragement for me?
Old 9/15/04, 12:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

:crazy:
Old 9/15/04, 12:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, thats what I thought. However, I just saw the pic of the 05 with the dark charcol interior. That is quite sweet.
Old 9/15/04, 12:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

lol. That is a sweeeeet interior. I want that in mine. Not a big fan of the cheapy cloth interior. It kinda looks worse than the cheap cloth seats in my 03 v6.
Old 9/15/04, 12:58 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm much of the same way ,I don't really need the 05, I live in Canada and the summer months are short and a good truck or suv would do me just fine so here's my plan .I figure I should have everything ready to buy a 05 in the early spring but a good look over and test drive will tell me for sure this is the one .If I do get one ( and I probably will ) I will upgrade my truck and drive it in the winter to last me till the 05 mustang is payed off then get another new truck and use the mustang in the summer only .If I were you and you want an v8 wait till you have the money for one ....remember it's your paycheck in the driveway and when you buy it ,it's going to be there for a while so it had better be everything that you want .Nothing is more disapointing that buying something that you feel will just do and not being everything that you wanted .....you will grow tired of it real quick and wonder ...gee I should of waited untill I got what I want. B)
Old 9/15/04, 01:28 AM
Cobra Member

I think a lot, too...

Like... what would my dream job be? Oh, I know... Manager of a chocolate factory run by extremely hot brunettes. Nah... I ain't got the schoolin' for that.

:crazy:

Well, as to your question, I'd say follow your heart and not your head. Use your head a little bit, because it's there for a reason. But, if you can afford it, get what you WANT. If it's something you'd aspire to have and it is within your means to get it, GET IT. You only live once. You can control your dreams, or have them control you. If you want a Mustang, get one, because you'll always be looking up to that level. I say aim high. The beautiful girls are always the ones who don't ever go out because guys are too afraid to ask them out. OK, bad metaphor, but follow your heart, nonetheless.
Old 9/15/04, 02:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Your nic name alone should answer your question.
Old 9/15/04, 03:44 AM

I hear ya... I'm thinking the same thing. I probably won't buy the '05 Mustang. My '98 is cool and all, but if I'm dumping that kind of money the car should better-suit my needs. There are plenty of quick cars that get better mileage and are pretty quick and handle well nowadays. Huh... maybe I am getting old, if all that makes sense to me. :P
Old 9/15/04, 05:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
V8.
Manual Trans.
Top goes down.

I have wanted these three ingredients in on car since I was 15. I've had them all, but not together.

This spring, that will change.

I do not think practical thoughts and Mustang thoughts at the same time. They don't go together. Mustangs are not about cargo-carriage, fuel efficiency, or practicality in getting from A to B.

Mustangs are about how you feel getting from A to B.

I am looking forward to that again. I have owned four Mustangs, and haven't had one now for three years; the only time in my life I have not had one.

Time to bring that to an end!
Old 9/15/04, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey man...don't let all of the SUV's in Boulder bring you down (I live in Littleton, and am taking masters classes through CU). I think part of it is that when you've been so excited for something for so long, you start to feel a little foolish.

Well don't! I can't wait for my Stang! Don't give up hope!
Old 9/15/04, 06:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I had a '66 Mustang I restomodded. It was a 6 cyl. Won a couple of trophys here and there, but I sold it. I got paranoid about wreckin' it.

I miss that car soooo much. I really wish I'd never let go of it.

To me, your dilemma is similar to mine. I need my car to do things, but a Mustang is not about doing things, it's about having a good time driving your car.

While my '66 didn't have all the fancy gizmos and whatchits that my Mark VII and Mark VIII had/have, that car was a LOT more fun to drive. Even without a/c (never got around to doing that.) in the summer.

So when (not if) I get my new Mustang, it's to finally fulfill a desire I've been missing since '96. The year I sold my '66.

And I'll be keeping the Mark for a while too, because it's now a work truck. (with a kickin' stereo in it, of course.) :P
Old 9/15/04, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks steve. I think you are right, I see so many SUVs around here, it starts to get inside my head. I do really feel that I would enjoy a mustang more, and you know, I only live once.
Old 9/15/04, 08:48 AM
GT Member

I have also wanted a Mustang since I can remember I have had a station wagon 2 mini vans & currently an Explorer ,all which have fits my needs & I have loved .Now my boys are all driving ,2 of 3 have there own trucks ,my husband has a truck & I"M GETTING MY MUSTANG! (you can always borrow something or rent something for occasional trips if needed!)
Old 9/15/04, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I have been around Fords all my life having a father who worked for Ford for 33 years. My brother and father have been Mustang owners for a long time and myself growing up have always been a big fan of trucks. The Mustang has always been my second favorite among vehicles, but I especially liked the old 60's style over the 80's style. As Ford brought back a retro style Mustang in the 90's and now with the 05 model looking more and more like the 60's models I am really liking the new Mustang. I drove Mustangs before and the best thing is when you pull into a gas station or wherever you get stares and people come up to talk to you about the car and that is really cool. When you are driving a Mustang you are driving an American icon and besides everybody looks cool in a Mustang . I was going to get a V6 05 because I have waited so long to get one and now that I can afford one I am going to wait and pay off my car now and in 2 years or so I will get what I really want which is the rumble of the V8. Either a GT or maybe a mach 1, shelby or boss model that is rumored to come out and keep my current car as a winter vehicle . The Mustang is not only used to go fast it is a cruising vehicle that has style, if the american muscle car was all about speed then the Comaro would still be arounfd but we all know it was axed. People keep there Mustangs for a long time and store them in the winter, so you can keep the Explorer for the Colorado winters and drive the Stang in the Spring/Summer. My advice sit in the 05 Mustang and I guarantee you will get the Stang.
Old 9/15/04, 09:18 AM

Definitely go with the Mustang. I had a '95 Mustang and then got rid of it for an SUV because I live in Michigan and obviously we don't have the greatest winters here, it was not even worth it though, the Mustang was soo much better, which is why I went ahead and ordered an '05.
Old 9/15/04, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Paris MkVI@September 15, 2004, 5:54 AM
I am looking forward to that again. I have owned four Mustangs, and haven't had one now for three years; t
Same here. I have owned two (the 05 will be my third). And it has been three long years since I owned my last Stang.

I am itching to get back in one I own.
Old 9/15/04, 10:07 AM
GT Member

Back in 1989, my junior year of high school, I wanted a 5.0 sooooo bad (and this was even before 5.0 was mentioned in "Ice Ice Baby" so don't even go there). I was even considering 'threatening' my parents with a motor bike purchase. Instead I got Uncle Len's hand me down Honda Accord.
Then, when I got to college, my first roommate had, wouldn't you know it, a 5.0 Mustang GT, white with red accents. And, the (fill in the blank) wouldn't let me drive it, even when he was drunk. My ex-girlfriend's parents have a 99 GT, and that thing rumbles. I've never really appreciate older model Mustangs until recently. Now, in hind sight, I remember a few of the kids in high school had a few older Mustangs. What a shame that I passed up buying one from 'Matt.' Well, the 05 grabbed my attention back in January when I saw it in Car and Driver magazine. I knew I had to get one. I even bought the convertible concept scale model. I'm finally going to finish up on that 1989 dream of having one, when my dealer calls me and tells me the following, "your car is here, come and get it."
Old 9/15/04, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

i am not only buying my mustang for its speed. i am getting it for its looks and style. plus 2 mustangs in my driveway is giong to be sweet
Old 9/15/04, 10:33 AM
V6 Member

The question is, why a Mustang? Well, my answer is that it's not just a car that Ford makes. There are a million (okay, that's exagerated) different cars made by many different companies. Most of them are A-B transportation.

A Mustang is something different. It has a mistique. It has a history. It has the style, the breeding, and the heart of what IS an American icon.

This is why I and so many others just HAVE to have this car. It's not incredibly pratical. So many times I've tried to carry stuff in my '98 and it just didn't fit. Oh well, it's a Mustang. I DRIVE A MUSTANG!!! It's not incredibly economical. Okay, so I average 24 mpg and drive 50 miles a day to and from work. I spend ~$40 a week on gas. I'm not the richest guy in the world. Oh well, it's a Mustang.
Old 9/15/04, 10:37 AM
V6 Member

The question is, why a Mustang? Well, my answer is that it's not just a car that Ford makes. There are a million (okay, that's exagerated) different cars made by many different companies. Most of them are A-B transportation.

A Mustang is something different. It has a mistique. It has a history. It has the style, the breeding, and the heart of what IS an American icon.

This is why I and so many others just HAVE to have this car. It's not incredibly pratical. So many times I've tried to carry stuff in my '98 and it just didn't fit. Oh well, it's a Mustang. I DRIVE A MUSTANG!!! It's not incredibly economical. Okay, so I average 24 mpg and drive 50 miles a day to and from work. I spend ~$40 a week on gas. I'm not the richest guy in the world. Oh well, it's a Mustang. I DRIVE A MUSTANG!!

It's a MUSTANG, that's why. :flag2:

Quick Reply: Call me crazy. Fine, I'm crazy.