California front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/07, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never had a problem ***knocks on wood
Old 12/19/07, 09:54 PM

My '05 GT has no holes drilled. This summer I had a Cleveland, OH cop parked along the street taking a good look at my baren front end as I approached. Then I went by and he saw I had a Michigan plate on the back. No business for him there.

Haven't had front plates in Michigan for decades.

Never again is fine with me.
Old 12/20/07, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
I bought this front plate holder. Excellent quality. NO DRILLING, install takes about 5 mins. Alum, or powder coated black.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180161993254

It might say item has ended, but just send him a message and he will give you the link to the new sale for it.
Ben (User Name: "FASTRACK") also sells a great bracket.
Old 12/20/07, 02:39 PM

I got a ticket, extended the date, was gonna miss that..So i tryed to extend it again..Accidentily made a court date for a front plate ticket...Think he'll show up ?
Old 12/20/07, 03:57 PM
FR500 Member

lol no he isnt gonna show
Old 12/20/07, 06:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He will show up. Everyone seems to think its no big deal for an Officer to miss a court date and woohoo, now its dismissed.

It doesnt go over well to miss court and the only way any Officer will miss a court date is if he is working on a case which would take priority, or is sick.

Like everyone else we get paid overtime on our days off if we have to come in. Depending on the agency, its an automatic minimum amount of time (ie, 3 hours+).
Old 12/20/07, 10:00 PM
Cobra Member

Oregon also requires a front plate, but I've never seen a Corvettte with one.

Many of today's cars just are not designed for one. The Pontiac Solstace for instance really looks dorky with one.
Old 12/26/07, 05:13 PM
Banned

Lightbulb Craig's custom bracket... Misleading information?

Hi all,

I just wanted to point out of a few things regarding this new bracket that has come on the scene. I'm not too surprised that this has occurred since I had an amazing idea, but the fact a patent costs more than what I've made since I started this - and my other post started off being a how-to instead of me selling them. Each of my brackets takes me about 1.5 hours from start to finish, so I do not make a whole lot on each bracket. There's not much I can do. But personally I would take Craig's install document with a grain of salt:

http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/brackets.html
install instructions:
http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/Bra...structions.pdf

Here's a link to the thread about the trials and complications I had making mine:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=49099
instractions:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10...te_Bracket.pdf

1) There are sections of his document which are WORD for WORD the same as mine including the disclaimer section. I really doubt his bracket has been tested between 40F-95F and speeds up to 225km/h since that's the same rating as mine, which is all from USER REPORTS and my own.

2) When researching my bracket as you know I started off with bending the aluminum without heat - all documented in my thread - . I came across a way to bend aluminum safely and even then the max radius bend for aluminum of this thickness should be no more than 25degrees - HIS IS 90!!!... Unless he is using some weird process I sure hope his does not fall of peoples cars.

UPDATE: I received a reply from him, and he said he uses a different grade of aluminum for his brackets which allows tighter bends As for resistance to corrosion - I've read the aluminum I use resists very well as for his I'm not sure.

By whichever bracket you wish, however I know mine has been tested by many. I do this in my spare time, and every bracket I make is hand made using 6061-T6 grade aluminum with 18.8 stainless steel parts.

I have sold over 75 brackets and I haven't received any negative remarks - the thread I started last spring has 15,500 posts with over 260 replies
Old 12/28/07, 09:26 AM

Here in Texas we are required to have a front plate as well. Mine is an '06 vert Gt (RED!). Delivered Thanksgiving 05 and as of Christmas 07 no plate and no tickets (yet).
I have one of Ben's (FastTrack) no-drill brackets and it's a fine piece of work.
But, I keep mine in the trunk and "just forgot to put it back on last time at the car wash". No problems yet. I put wing nuts on so I could manually put it on/off without any tools and drove around a few days with it on to see if it was going to work. No scratches, no rubbing, no sweat and best of all - no holes!
If you want a no-drill bracket, get one from our bud Ben. Hey Ben, as I recall, I seem to remember paying you in Republic of Texas Dollars.
Old 12/28/07, 11:29 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Illinois requires front plate too.
Old 12/28/07, 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedHorse1
Here in Texas we are required to have a front plate as well. Mine is an '06 vert Gt (RED!). Delivered Thanksgiving 05 and as of Christmas 07 no plate and no tickets (yet).
I have one of Ben's (FastTrack) no-drill brackets and it's a fine piece of work.
But, I keep mine in the trunk and "just forgot to put it back on last time at the car wash". No problems yet. I put wing nuts on so I could manually put it on/off without any tools and drove around a few days with it on to see if it was going to work. No scratches, no rubbing, no sweat and best of all - no holes!
If you want a no-drill bracket, get one from our bud Ben. Hey Ben, as I recall, I seem to remember paying you in Republic of Texas Dollars.
If you mean you paid in good old USA $ Even though it's worth less now.. HEHE

Good idea with putting it in the trunk, but my feeling is I want to avoid getting pulled over in the first place. I figure why attract attention to yourself!

I did however hear my car crying just a little bit when I mounted my plate...
Old 12/29/07, 03:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just place it on the dash with a pad so it doesn't fly around if there was a crash. Just say you don't have the bolts. I don't think cops carry spares. I have one on my V6 bumper but will not install one on the GT bumper and CDC aggressive spoiler. MN requires dual plates unless it's a collector car with collector plate and you can run a single plate.
Old 12/29/07, 03:30 PM

The best way to go is with one of Ben's (User Name: "FASTRACK") brackets... works great, no drilling and easily removed for cleaning or showing. I have one on my '07 GT.
Old 12/29/07, 05:53 PM
ba2
Legacy TMS Member

Welcome to the Peoples Republic of California. You can sneak across the border illegally, drive without insurance, but if you have tinted windows or no front license plate, you get busted. I guess it's easier to deal with the easy issues.
Old 12/30/07, 07:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by colbymh
He will show up. Everyone seems to think its no big deal for an Officer to miss a court date and woohoo, now its dismissed.

It doesnt go over well to miss court and the only way any Officer will miss a court date is if he is working on a case which would take priority, or is sick.
I wish it worked that way here in Massachusetts! I've never had one dismissed because the ticketing officer was not there.

Whenever I have fought a ticket, if the cop was not there they just reschedule, or there is another officer there to take his place.

Most of the time there is just an officer assigned to the traffic court for the day and he stands in for all the cases.