2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

CAI...Difference worth the price??

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/07, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI...Difference worth the price??

I spoke with a company today that said I can get a CAI for around $200, then I see some like K&N that are around $400...but if you go on eBay there are like 10 different ones on there for around $60. What makes up the difference in price. Is there anything actually proven to make one better than another?
Old 4/10/07, 08:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You must re-flash the computer with a CAI, the most expensive ones come with the programer.
Old 4/10/07, 08:50 PM
Former Vendor

Go with a brand such as JLT, C&L, or Steeda. These are the ones with proven performance. The best gains are with the SCT XCal2, as it's required for these intakes to operate correctly. The vehicle itself has trouble running without the calibration. I would go for either the JLT/XCal or C&L/XCal combo. We keep both in stock! Feel free to give us a shout if you have any questions!
Old 4/10/07, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I have seen some for around $600 that come with a tuner. But what is the difference between the High-end K&N $400 and the low-end ones on e-Bay that are complete kits for $60.
And I was quoted $200 for a JLT CAI
Old 4/10/07, 09:00 PM
Former Vendor

We sell the JLT intakes with tuner for $525 shipped, and the C&L racer 95mm intake with the tuner for $619.99 shipped. They're the top two sellers...

There is no high-end K&N kit... that's just what they feel they can get for their intake. The kits on ebay for $60 are not safe or reccomended for quality reasons as well as air fuel ratio.

200 is the going rate for the JLT. Go for the package with the XCal2 tuner, as it saves you money to purchase in a package.

Good luck!
Old 4/10/07, 09:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the CAI without the tuner could be 200 ish, but without a re-tune, the car will not run right AT ALL. Its extremely sensitive. Don't waste your time until you can afford the entire combo. 'A company' is not tillmanspeed or bamachips...'a company' probably thinks Mustangs work like hondas with AEM tubes on them. A proper CAI kit and tune on a Mustang makes real power.
Old 4/10/07, 11:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
We sell the JLT intakes with tuner for $525 shipped, and the C&L racer 95mm intake with the tuner for $619.99 shipped. They're the top two sellers...

There is no high-end K&N kit... that's just what they feel they can get for their intake. The kits on ebay for $60 are not safe or reccomended for quality reasons as well as air fuel ratio.

200 is the going rate for the JLT. Go for the package with the XCal2 tuner, as it saves you money to purchase in a package.

Good luck!

I see you have an Ad on your site for the SNIPER tuner. Its relatively new for the Stang. Do you guys have any experience with them? How do they compare to SCT, Predator?
Old 4/11/07, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Well the CAI without the tuner could be 200 ish, but without a re-tune, the car will not run right AT ALL. Its extremely sensitive. Don't waste your time until you can afford the entire combo. 'A company' is not tillmanspeed or bamachips...'a company' probably thinks Mustangs work like hondas with AEM tubes on them. A proper CAI kit and tune on a Mustang makes real power.
I would not get the CAI without the Tuner, but I was wondering why those on eBay are so cheap. Isn't a CAI a CAI, what makes one worth a certain price while another costs hundreds less.
Old 4/11/07, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

i got a K&N a while back for like 300. i couldnt afford a tuner at the time and with all the reviews saying the K&N doesnt really need a tune i went for it and let me tell you.......such a big difference. to an hour and a half (only cause heinekin was helping me with the install ahahah) and i jumped right in the car afterwards. acceleration was the biggest difference i saw. not raelly any better mpgallon but i wasnt going for that. i still havent gotten a tune and probably never will. im not running lean, there hasnt been any downfall to it and everyone i talk to says i may only get 10 xtra hp with a tuner and the way i see it, 350+ for a tune for 10hp is retarded.
Old 4/11/07, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered a JLT with tuner from Bama. I haven't gotten it yet, but it was $560 shipped. CR, you need to get your website working so customers can compare prices. I mean $35 is $35, right? You and Doug both have great reputations on this site, so I probably would have gone with you just for the price difference. I can't wait to get that thing on my car, but get your website going before you lose anymore business! I do really appreciate your participation on these forums.
Old 4/11/07, 07:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tampa07GTCS
I would not get the CAI without the Tuner, but I was wondering why those on eBay are so cheap. Isn't a CAI a CAI, what makes one worth a certain price while another costs hundreds less.
To put it in simple terms: They have ZERO R&D behind them most do not flow properly or allow the incoming air to flow across the MAF properly, they will trigger CEL and make the car run improperly. In other words there JUNK. There is a reason the Good Ones cost money.

Richard
Old 4/11/07, 11:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok...serious question. I am being told by someone that the CAI is only for high-end RPM's so it won't actually help in normal city driving since most is drivin around 1500-2500 RPM. I was shown the graphs that showed that the CAI helps around 4000-6000RPM. Will a CAI help with low end pick-up?
Old 4/11/07, 11:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Humm I have a K&N and did not need as yet to have a Tuner I currently have it in my 07 GT/CS and also had it in my 05 GT with no worries at all ! I will in time order a tuner to wake up those suppressed thoughts that the car has but does not show at this time
Old 4/12/07, 12:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't want to start an argument here, but the fact is that a tune makes ALL the difference in the world. You guys that have K&N's claiming that you think it's not worth it to buy a tune can't truly make that claim because you haven't driven your car WITH a tune. I put off buying a CAI for over 2 years. I purchased a Predator and used the canned tune with stock airbox, no big deal. I too didn't feel it was worth it. I finally bit the bullet and installed the CAI, left the canned tune. No real difference with just the addition of the CAI. I then installed the tune (Bamachips) and Holy H - E - Double Hockey Sticks.

As has been said before, it's a night and day difference. The way the car holds RPM's between shifts alone is a difference that you'll never get without a tune, and makes a HUGE improvement in driveability of the car. There have been many documented issues with A/F ratios with these cars adding CAI's without tunes, someone mentioned no A/F issues, but how did you measure it? CAI with no tune, improvement over stock for sure. Add a tune and it adds the correct A/F ratio, improves throttle response, keeps the RPM's correct between shifts, and whatever black magic stuff they do to the fuel maps.

These differences have been documented in many different dyno tests with proof sheets presented. I'm just saying, I came from that line of thinking, and while you may assume that 10hp is a small difference, don't discount the many other things that go into a tune from a driveability as well as a functionality perspective. These guys should give money back guarantees on the tunes, they'd never have to give a refund.

Doug - you can have my tune back when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Old 4/12/07, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok...serious question. I am being told by someone that the CAI is only for high-end RPM's so it won't actually help in normal city driving since most is drivin around 1500-2500 RPM. I was shown the graphs that showed that the CAI helps around 4000-6000RPM. Will a CAI help with low end pick-up?
Does anyone know the answer to this.... I am wondering because I feel like in low gear my car is kind of dragging, I would like something to increase the low-end acceleration/shifting!
Old 4/12/07, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone know the answer to this.... I am wondering because I feel like in low gear my car is kind of dragging, I would like something to increase the low-end acceleration/shifting!
Get a tuner. They typically also eliminate the FORD throttle-by-wire throttle lag. Huge difference! A custom tune with the stock airbox can make 15 to 20 hp depending on how wild you want to go. Plus, you can use the tuner as a diagnostic tool in the future. Definitely worth it. If you have an automatic, shift points can also be adjusted.

If you do a tuner with a CAI, you typically save a few bisciuts and the results are even that much better.
Old 4/12/07, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info... but does anyone know if a CAI helps with Low-end gear shifts and RPM's??? Or is it just with 4000-6000RPM?
Old 4/12/07, 04:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

A CAI alone will not add too much power at lower rpm's. It will also potentially cause harm to your engine due to leaning out the fuel/air mix. A CAI with a Tune, WILL help power at lower and upper rpms, help with shifting, and generally make the car more driveable. Most people liken it to "the way Ford should have sold the car."
Old 4/13/07, 02:13 AM
Cobra R Member

The way the cars feels afterwords is definatly the way Ford should have tuned the it gets off the line better and feels more responsive
Old 4/13/07, 02:16 AM
Cobra R Member

besides don't put junk on your nice car, put someyhing worth while on your car. You won't regret it once you get there.

Quick Reply: CAI...Difference worth the price??