2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Bill said Wixom?

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/05, 08:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, heres one for ya...
I was out drinkin beers with a friend who has been with Ford for years - they said that Bill Ford said he was very seriously considering a second Mustang production line at the Wixom Plant in Michigan.
One reason that this made sense is because the T-bird is done- production ends in June, and they've got capacity with a work crew that has been knocking down quality awards left and right. Another strong consideration is that experienced Flat Rock employees could be recruited to help start up the new production line in nearby Wixom. The relatively minor third advantage is that suppliers could support both assembly plants from the same subassembly plant or warehouse.

Has anyone else heard this? Besides making intuitive sense, I posted this because I think that this would be a great sister plant. If my Stang wasn't built in Flat Rock, I'd want it built at the Wixom luxury car facility.
Old 3/18/05, 09:01 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe as a backup plan....

I can't see them using a second plant right now.
While the wait right now is high, demand will go down within a year or 2 when the hardcores all have theirs.

We'll have to see.
Old 3/18/05, 09:02 PM
Banned

First problem: Bill Ford would not be making decisions like this.
Old 3/18/05, 09:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
SUre he could have a HUGE say in it !
Old 3/18/05, 10:30 PM
Cobra Member

Haven't heard it. My father hasn't said anything about it.
Old 3/19/05, 08:05 AM
GT Member

I wrote it as it was stated - I probably should have explained that by their expression and tone, the person was probably refering to executive management. They were being somewhat facetious (meant to be humorous), because this information was thirdhand, however they wanted to give the story credence.
Bill Ford or someone close to him in the organization may have said something along these lines as a representative of the company in response to a question. I don't know, I wasn't there ...it's a rumor.
I thought it was worth consideration.
Old 3/19/05, 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I read somewhere on the 'net that Wixom would be used to build cars based on the S197 platform, but not necessarily the Mustang. I can't find the page so I have no other proof. Take it for what it's worth, a rumor.
Old 3/19/05, 07:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Grantsdale@March 18, 2005, 11:05 PM

ummm the owner of Ford does indeed have final say.....
Old 3/19/05, 07:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Ah Bill Buddy remember me I used to date Debbie Ford ? ps may I Please Please have my Mustang sent Real Soon !
Old 3/20/05, 07:15 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds like BS.

There is no way Ford needs to double Mustang production.
Right now about 30% more production is needed, but we all know that as the years pass sales of the new S197 Mustang will drop, just like every other new Mustang in the past.

It would be very expensive to start up Mustang production at Wixom. Ford would never get payback on it.

Right now Wixom is operating at 40% of capacity.
During the last UAW contract negotiation, Wixom was on the table for being closed.

Throwing out the GT, which is not built in the main plant, Wixom has only 3 products.
T-Bird - production ends July 05
Lincoln LS - rumored production ends Dec 06
Town Car - rumored to be moving to STAP in Jan 07

That leaves Ford with a HUGE plant with no product.

Wixom is one of Ford's largest assembly plants.
Even if Ford used Wixom for extra Mustang production and production of new S197 models, there is no way the full capacity of Wixom would be used (300,000 vehicles / year with 2 shifts).

Sounds to me like a plant that is about to be closed, which is a shame because Wixom builds a good product.
Old 3/20/05, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 00StangGT+March 19, 2005, 10:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(00StangGT @ March 19, 2005, 10:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Grantsdale@March 18, 2005, 11:05 PM

ummm the owner of Ford does indeed have final say.....
[/b][/quote]

Sorry, but the president/CEO does not make production decisions, no matter what you may think. Same applies to every big corporation. The people at the top are largely figureheads, it is the people under them making the decisions. Its fact, don't argue it.

That being said, if things go wrong, its the people at the top that take the fall.
Old 3/20/05, 03:32 PM
GT Member

Some good points are made by V10. Wixom needs investment and volume to make it sufficiently profitable to remain open, thats clear for the long term. This would not have been repeated by someone who was pessimistic about the future of american automaking (involving a facility that has a great and long history). It was brought up and discussed because they wanted this to happen.

'Another' production line can run at whatever volume it is designed to handle. Prior to the GT line, I think that Wixom had the Mark VIII going on a separate line at really low capacity for the last few model years. Does it make sense to assemble the Cobra, the CS. and/or other SVT versions there with relatively little investment for a few model years?

Closing Wixom is a huge cost for Ford, but bringing up production numbers when there is so much capacity out there is good business - at least for the next couple of years that it needs to be open. Bill may not ultimately make the final decision himself, but he definitely wants to be associated with promoting this winner in the Ford family of cars. We've seen many quotes from him optimistically regarding Mustang.

Maybe this is misinformation. This could be a political poker chip - something stated publically/intentionally with a purpose.
...Here's another rumor, I hear that things are not going very smoothly in planning for post-Taurus/Sable production. Perhaps it was meant to get the folks in Atlanta assembly plant nervous and soften negotiations?

Maybe it is just bad information - y'know there was beer involved!
Old 3/20/05, 04:22 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Mustang Ricky@March 20, 2005, 4:35 PM
'Another' production line can run at whatever volume it is designed to handle. Prior to the GT line, I think that Wixom had the Mark VIII going on a separate line at really low capacity for the last few model years. Does it make sense to assemble the Cobra, the CS. and/or other SVT versions there with relatively little investment for a few model years?

Maybe this is misinformation. This could be a political poker chip - something stated publically/intentionally with a purpose.
...Here's another rumor, I hear that things are not going very smoothly in planning for post-Taurus/Sable production. Perhaps it was meant to get the folks in Atlanta assembly plant nervous and soften negotiations?

Maybe it is just bad information - y'know there was beer involved!
Some bits of information.

Wixom was the first assembly plant Ford had that could assemble unibody cars. It's first product was the 1958 T-bird. The famed suicide door Continentals were also built at Wixom..

Wixom's line is pretty flexable. It builds a mix of cars on the same line and can build both FWD and RWD cars. At one time the Lincoln LS (RWD - unibody) Town Car (RWD body on Frame) and the Continental (FWD unibody) all built on the same line. It's pretty amaxzing to see 3 Town Cars, then 2 LS's and then a Continental coming down the line in that order.

The MK-VII was built on that main line before it was axed.

Originally the 2 seat T-Bird was built on a separate line (still in the main plant). Later the T-Bird was moved into the main line and mixed in with the LS's and TCs.

The GT is built in a separate building, not at all part of the main line or the auxilary line that the T-Bird was built on for a couple years.

I still think that your rumor is more "wishful thinking" than reality, but maybe Ford realizes what a great plant Wixom is (already flexable, Ford's first flex line?) and they've changed their mind and are going to give Wixon some new product. But as it stands today, on Jan 1, 2007, Wixom will have nothing to build.
Old 3/20/05, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Just a thought, isn't the LS due for a huge makeover in the next year, and the Town Car/Crown Vic eventually change to the Fairlane? I thought I remember ed reading that on here that the LS was eventually going to be changed and that the Fairlane would eventually replace the Town Car and the Crown Vic.
Old 3/21/05, 04:45 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by iwantastang@March 20, 2005, 8:21 PM
Just a thought, isn't the LS due for a huge makeover in the next year, and the Town Car/Crown Vic eventually change to the Fairlane? I thought I remember ed reading that on here that the LS was eventually going to be changed and that the Fairlane would eventually replace the Town Car and the Crown Vic.
LS is supposed to be made over for 2007. The new LS will be completely different built off the Volvo / 500 platform and built in Atlanta.

Sounds like you missed the det auto show, the Fairlane is a station wagon. Has nothing to do with the TC & CV.
Old 3/21/05, 06:42 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Originally posted by Grantsdale@March 20, 2005, 3:22 PM
Its fact, don't argue it.

Prove it. Show me where every large corporation's President/CEO is merely a figure head.

I personally know of THREE large corporations whose CEO is the ONLY final say. One I worked for, with over 500 worldwide offices, and 10,000 employees... the second only 2000 employees, however does business with companies such as DCX (Daimler Chrysler), Unilever, Pernot Ricard to name 3 of thier current large clients. The third had approxmately 1000 employees, again not large in number, but defintely large in its field, as it is was the #1 supplier of electronic components (via brokerage) for many large companies. In fact, in all three instances, when the CEO makes a demand, its pretty much known you either do it, or be fired.

Now, thats not to say that the CEO does not confer with his board of directors, and other executives, and these decisions are made with a lot of input.

You cant tell me that there is never a situation where the CEO/President has the final say. You also cant say that in EVERY instance they are all figureheads. Some, yes. However, it is not a FACT that it is the case in every large corporation.

I am not so sure I want another plant building Mustangs. Oversaturate the market, and the value of my car deceases at a faster clip. There are already local commercials running ads for rebates on V6 05s.
Old 3/21/05, 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

It should be used to produce a new Cougar based on the Mustang platform for the upscale market.
Old 3/21/05, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bpmurr@March 21, 2005, 7:55 PM
It should be used to produce a new Cougar based on the Mustang platform for the upscale market.
That would be cool. Would it have that cool grill and flip-up light covers? Those rock.
Old 3/21/05, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt+March 21, 2005, 9:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JessicaRabbitt @ March 21, 2005, 9:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Grantsdale@March 20, 2005, 3:22 PM
Its fact, don't argue it.

Prove it. Show me where every large corporation's President/CEO is merely a figure head.

I personally know of THREE large corporations whose CEO is the ONLY final say. One I worked for, with over 500 worldwide offices, and 10,000 employees... the second only 2000 employees, however does business with companies such as DCX (Daimler Chrysler), Unilever, Pernot Ricard to name 3 of thier current large clients. The third had approxmately 1000 employees, again not large in number, but defintely large in its field, as it is was the #1 supplier of electronic components (via brokerage) for many large companies. In fact, in all three instances, when the CEO makes a demand, its pretty much known you either do it, or be fired.

Now, thats not to say that the CEO does not confer with his board of directors, and other executives, and these decisions are made with a lot of input.

You cant tell me that there is never a situation where the CEO/President has the final say. You also cant say that in EVERY instance they are all figureheads. Some, yes. However, it is not a FACT that it is the case in every large corporation.

I am not so sure I want another plant building Mustangs. Oversaturate the market, and the value of my car deceases at a faster clip. There are already local commercials running ads for rebates on V6 05s.
[/b][/quote]

1000 employees isn't a major corporation. No matter what. It doesn't matter who they do business with. I have product in every Best Buy and Circuit City in the country. Guess how many employees I have. 8. The companies you do business with have nothing to do with how big of a company you are. You can start a business tomorrow and become a reseller through ingram micro, (the single biggest distributor of electronics in the world) the next day, and that doesn't make you any more a major corporation that one that works with unilever.

And I have to call on a company with 10000 employees having only one that can make a decision. That is completely illogical. So I guess he never sleeps, if something has to be done in another country at night? Or never takes a day off? And is at all the offices at the same time? Please.

Now, a CEO asking for something to do be done is completely different than him making a trivial decision as to where a product is made. As long as it gets made, the CEO will not care. I did not say that a CEO would not have the final say on anything. You made that part up due to lack of reading comprehension. What I said was that CEOs are not bothered with decisions such as this, they do groundbreakings, and things of that nature. Heck, you even agreed with me. You said the CEO gets all the information from the people below him. If the company has a board, they vote. The CEO counts the same as any other member of the board, especially if the company is a publicly traded one.

You want an example? Fine, lets go with two of the largest media giants in the world. The Walt Disney Company and Time Warner.

WDC- CEO, Michael Eisner. Publicly villified, and hated. Very well known to be hands off, and the only hands on things of his 20 some odd years at Disney were the purchase of ABC/Capital Cities and trying to build Disney's America (a theme park celebrating America, supposed to be built in VA. The locals (morons) shot it down).

Time Warner - CEO, D!ck Parsons. Ever heard of him? No? Most haven't. Basically the only decision of his term was to re-rename the company from AOL-Time Warner to Time Warner. Only been there about three years, but still.

edit: weiner Parsons.
Old 3/22/05, 05:00 PM
V6 Member

Grantsdale, I'll bite. What product do you have in Best Buy and Circuit City?

Quick Reply: Bill said Wixom?