2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

best wax for new black stang?

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/07 | 05:18 AM
GT Member

best wax for new black stang?

hey yall pics coming soon. what is the best wax to use for black and i also have stipes. will waxin ghelp with a kind of seal on the stripes? i heard zaino works ausome. any others? thanks for any help.
Old 10/24/07 | 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by staindreality
hey yall pics coming soon. what is the best wax to use for black and i also have stipes. will waxin ghelp with a kind of seal on the stripes? i heard zaino works ausome. any others? thanks for any help.

search is your friend, you might wanna try looking in the Black specific forum, 2nd post in that forum is about washing black stangs.
Old 10/24/07 | 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

You're gonna get lots of opinions on this one. Here's mine...

I've been into car care for many years and have developed the theory that technique is more important than product, especially on paint that is in good shape.

Check out some of the car detailing forums (like http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/default.aspx and http://autopia.org/ ). The thing to realize is that you need to do MORE than wash and wax. Using a clay bar, paint cleaner and polish will really enhance the shine.

If you use the proper tools the right way, almost any of the major products will give you a great shine. The black Mustangs I've seen tend to show swirls very easily, so it is vital to use the right wash mits and microfibers.

For instance, the best wax in the world won't hide or prevent scratches if you use a cheap, dirty sponge and old t-shirts.

BTW, I mostly use the Meguiar's line of products and have been to several of their detailing classes. I suggest either NXT or Gold Class. (Lately, I've gone back to paste for my darker cars.)

Just my two cents...YMMV
Old 10/24/07 | 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
technique is more important than product
+1
Old 10/24/07 | 10:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Meguiar's NXT is my favorite!! (Easy on.....easy off) Great results so far for me!!
Old 10/24/07 | 10:47 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Hey there,

Like Davisinla said - you will get LOTS of opinions on this one.

I have a black '99 Cobra. Have used Meguiar's NXT and like it, but recently tried Adams polish and liked it even more. Went on nice and easy and came off nicely. There are adams distributors all over the place. Have never seen it in an auto store though. I believe they can be ordered directly from the companies web site also (http://www.adamspolishes.com/)

Hope this helps some

Thanks

Page
Old 10/24/07 | 09:23 PM
V6 Member

Zaino Z-5. The best I've used by far! Perfect for dark cars, also eliminates swirl marks or even fine scratches. My personal choice.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=8
Old 10/24/07 | 10:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
Hey there,

I have a black '99 Cobra. Have used Meguiar's NXT and like it, but recently tried Adams polish and liked it even more. Went on nice and easy and came off nicely. There are adams distributors all over the place. Have never seen it in an auto store though. I believe they can be ordered directly from the companies web site also (http://www.adamspolishes.com/)

Hope this helps some

Thanks

Page
+1 The Adams Polish is awesome.You might try Meguiars Fine Cut polish first.Its a very mild compound(1500 grit equivalant) that eliminates the old wax, haze and fine scratches.Your clear coat may be oxidized,its paint too.
Old 10/24/07 | 10:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've found that NXT doesn't last very long.

If you have a black car, invest in a PC buffer with good pads. With a bit of practice, you can have a near swirl free finish. Though it doesn't help with rock chips!!
Old 10/25/07 | 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

NXT not last long? Water just falls off of my car, and it's been over a year since the last wax. I'm happy with it. +1 on the clay bar, though. It does wonders.
Old 10/25/07 | 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

You didn't skimp on your choice of vehicle, so don't do it on your protectant/wax.............sing along with me now..Z A I N O.....Z A I N O.....Z A I N O and Zaino is its name-o

Use Zaino and dont look back.
Old 10/25/07 | 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
Hey there,

Hope this helps some

Thanks

Page
Well since you like the Adams Products by it from the folks that make it for him. Just look for the products with the same name.

http://chemicalguys.com/

My personal choice for wax on dark cars is.

http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html
Old 10/25/07 | 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys do you think Nu-finish polish is any good? The once a year polish thingy. Do you think that product is any good? I have been using it ever since I bought my car. Should I switch to a new wax?
Old 10/25/07 | 10:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by buffguy
Hey guys do you think Nu-finish polish is any good? The once a year polish thingy. Do you think that product is any good? I have been using it ever since I bought my car. Should I switch to a new wax?

I used the nu-finish on my 95 chevy Z-71 and my 02 Tahoe. Used it as directed and I'll just say this..........once a year my a$$! Water beaded up well for about 2 months. After that the finish started feeling rough again. I no longer have the Chevy's and I wouldn't use nu-finish on a friggin go-cart. I've used Zaino on the stang and really like it. I've used Mcguires and like it too. Like one of the earlier posts stated, product is important, but technique is even more important.
Old 10/25/07 | 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've used NuFinish on my 2000 Crown Vic with excellent results. I store the car outside frequently (no cover at work) and it will last almost a year with 1 application (environment is Southeast Michigan: frequent rain, snow, road salt, sun, bird droppings, industrial contaminants).

However, Klasse AIO is infinitely easier to use and contains less solvents.
Old 10/25/07 | 01:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Keep in mind we all live in different areas and so forth. I use 3M products and love them.
Old 10/25/07 | 03:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I heard Blackfire was pretty good for black cars!!!
Old 10/25/07 | 08:04 PM
GT Member

Nothing is the best.
The technology in paints today is far better then when wax was first developed.
Once you use a product, which almost all have abrasives, you will add swirls to your paint.
Buy a detail mist and a microfiber towel and call it a day.
Wash, mist, and wipe....more protection then you will ever need with a very lusterious shine.
Old 10/25/07 | 09:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Couper93
Nothing is the best.
The technology in paints today is far better then when wax was first developed.
Once you use a product, which almost all have abrasives, you will add swirls to your paint.
Buy a detail mist and a microfiber towel and call it a day.
Wash, mist, and wipe....more protection then you will ever need with a very lusterious shine.
Sorry but some of your info is incorrect. First off the only waxes that have abrasives in them are the multi use type cleaner/wax ones. Secondly Detail spray has no protection what so ever in it. Nothing that will stay on for any length of time and most are cleaners and will actually remove the wax over extended periods of time. Nothing beats a good coat of carnubua for depth. If you want longer lasting protection then use one of the synthetic Sealants and follow that 24 hours later with carnubua.

Richard
Old 10/25/07 | 09:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TJ4Cam
You didn't skimp on your choice of vehicle, so don't do it on your protectant/wax.............sing along with me now..Z A I N O.....Z A I N O.....Z A I N O and Zaino is its name-o

Use Zaino and dont look back.
+10000000
I use it and my friends use it. the shine gets better the more applications you perform. I had a club member who used the meguires and had swirl marks he saw me with Zaino and got some. He is a firm believer and doesnt use anything else. I convert people every show I go to.

Quick Reply: best wax for new black stang?