Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Question

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/07, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery Tender Question

Just had Ford replace my dead battery (only 14months old). Didn't leave any lights on.... and alarm was off... but after sitting for 4 days, it was completely dead. Since I only drive the S197 3 days/wk, I'm planning on using a Battery Tender to keep it juiced up at all times. Question: anyone with a battery tender using the optional 'power plug adapter' (for center dash plug)? Don't want to be opening/closing hood every time to hook up to tender, so I like this option... just not sure if the S197 dash adapter wiring is designed for 24/7 battery charge maintenance? Thx
Old 12/8/07, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try shutting your roff adio of before storing it. Seems the amps have a tendency to stay on when you park the car and drain your battery. I've been storing my car for 2,5 months now and no problems. Before I turned the radio off the battery would go dead in a few days. I use a battery tender with the hood open for up to 5 months with no problems. Never used the feature you mentioned.
Old 12/8/07, 09:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When they are new on the lots, the ones with AAT tend to be dead quite a bit more often then the ones without, may be a drain there. If you get a tender, just get a decent Craftsman one and skip the cheapa mo betta Chinese stuff. I don't have a Mustang(this month) so I don't have the owner's manual handy. I think they have a long term storage section in there?? Any Ford tech should know for sure as they often have to charge/maintain the vehicles on the lot.
Old 12/9/07, 05:12 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
FWIW I am using a Black and Decker maintainer and it hardly charges the battery. If you need a charger to prevent it from dying after 4 days of storage, something is wrong.

Don't get a trickle charger. Find a maintainer that charges up to 2A or so because it will automatically use 2A to fast-charge or float charge or no charge depending on the battery condition. Wal-Mart, Meijer, Target etc... all have some type of automatic maintainer for about $20.
Old 12/9/07, 06:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Revv
I use a battery tender with the hood open for up to 5 months with no problems. Never used the feature you mentioned.
+1. Do lower the hood onto a 2x4 block
Old 12/9/07, 06:37 AM
GTR Member

I modified the clamps for my Black and Decker so that I can close the hood. I went to small alligator clips instead of the humongo 30A clamps that it came with.
Old 12/9/07, 07:15 AM
V6 Member

Get the ring and terminal harness with the quick connect and extension and tuck it somewhere behind the grill or bumper. I have one of those on my motorcycle zip tied behind the frame so I don't have to pop the seat when I want to hook it to the charger.
Old 12/9/07, 07:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SStang
Get the ring and terminal harness with the quick connect and extension and tuck it somewhere behind the grill or bumper. I have one of those on my motorcycle zip tied behind the frame so I don't have to pop the seat when I want to hook it to the charger.
exactly, battery tenders work awesome, good investment
Old 12/9/07, 09:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is there anything I can use when the car is away from home, like parked at the airport long term?
Old 12/9/07, 12:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look into a solar charger for your rear deck.
Old 12/9/07, 01:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Black and Decker. I've been through two batteries. My 06 only has 6000 miles on it since I ordered it 2 years ago. Everyone I know who rarely drives their Mustangs is having this problem. Once the warranty is up I'll get a good battery. Until then the Black and Decker maintainer is working out just fine.
Old 12/9/07, 01:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I like this craftsman, I have a couple I use and they work well for the money. It comes with multiple attachment options (cigarette lighter, ring terminals, and alligator clips). It also has L.E.D.'s to show you if it's charging or charged/maintaining or reverse connection-bad battery.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...ery+maintainer
Old 12/9/07, 02:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by OKLACOP
I have the Black and Decker. I've been through two batteries. My 06 only has 6000 miles on it since I ordered it 2 years ago. Everyone I know who rarely drives their Mustangs is having this problem. Once the warranty is up I'll get a good battery. Until then the Black and Decker maintainer is working out just fine.
I rarely drive mine.
I have never had a problem with mine at almost 2 years and 6K mi.
Never driven in rain,snow etc.
2 things...
I never lock the doors and I have the base radio.
I can leave my car in the garage for over 2 weeks no problem.
Things that make you go hmmm.
Old 12/9/07, 06:45 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
Leave your car in the garage for 30 days, and then see what happens lol.
Old 12/10/07, 12:22 PM

My '05 is not my daily driver; it'll sometimes sit for weeks without being started or driven. I use a Battery Tender; just spliced in (soldered in) extra lengths of same-gauge wire in order to lengthen the original wires so they'd reach the front of the car. Zip-tied the plug in to an opening in the grille so I don't have to raise the hood to connect up.
Old 12/11/07, 03:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Leave your car in the garage for 30 days, and then see what happens lol.
I've done a solid 23 days. Does one more week make that much difference?
It sure sounded strong as ever. Maybe because its a heated garage?
Old 12/11/07, 09:50 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
If the battery is fully charged. Then yes..it can last 30 days, and perhaps even a little bit longer..

According to the field service engineer I spoke with, suggests

A fully charged battery, will usually last up to 30 days..however anything beyond that..is kind of pushing the limit, and isn't recommended.
Old 12/12/07, 05:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Craftsman tender + Optima's Red Top battery = SOLID
Old 12/12/07, 10:04 AM
GTR Member

The Optima Red/Yellow/Blue batteries offer no significant advantages in capacity or lifespan under normal conditions. They are lighter and can be mounted in various configurations. They are useful for extreme operating conditions (racing, military, off-roading, boating) but seeing how most of us garage our Stangs when the weather goes sour, the flooded lead acid batteries would fare well for years.

I used to have a Optima Red and I did not see any advantage over the flooded lead acid battery. Yes it was lighter, but it was also much much smaller than the factory sized battery and had a fraction of the capacity.

If you really care about weight (for drag racing or racing), get a dry cell. They are available in various shapes/sizes, some as small as a textbook and weigh anywhere from 5 lb or heavier. They are only used to start your engine and act as filtering capacitors for your charging system. Since they take up little room and weigh very little, you can see how useful they'd be in a racing application where you're not powering stereo systems, DVD players, and a microwave oven.