Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bama tuner

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/21, 06:32 PM
GT Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Bama tuner

Well I learn my lesson...I had the bright idea to do a update on my tuner so I had to return my car to stock to do so.... after I did the update my custom tunes was not there anymore, it deleted all 3 custom tunes....I called bama and they looked up the old tunes but the ones they had didn't have the jlt cold air intake or the BBK shorty headers on the tune so they wouldn't work on my car because I guess the cold air and headers where tuned by another dealer not by bama or American muscle so I had to buy the tunes for life and give them all the info on my car so they could write me new tunes and I got them within 30 mins of ordering them..... my car would not run set back to stock but after I put the new tune on it she runs great..... guess I shouldn't been messing with the tuner but it's up to date now and I have free tunes for life.....
Old 3/30/21, 09:09 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
If you have the SCT X3 or X4? your custom tunes should had been saved, unless your SCT programmer is a canned programmer that's proprietary to Bama Performance? I've updated the software on my X4 several times and all my custom tunes remained stored in the programmer. For future reference, consider saving all your custom tune files on a USB drive or on your PC as a backup. This way, you won't lose them again down the road.
The following users liked this post:
Caseydilbeck78 (3/31/21)
Old 3/31/21, 05:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,029 Posts
That is very strange, I have never heard of a tuner doing that before. I have loaded the factory tune back to my car many times, using my SCT X3 that I got from Bama many years ago, and it never did that.

Unfortunately it is too late now; but yeah the tune files can be backed up to your PC . . . if you haven't already done that, I'd do it soon so it doesn't slip my mind. Depending on how old the tuner is, it might need a firmware update, which will allow it to store something like 10 tunes, instead of the original 3 (plus the factory tune).

Also too late now, I thought I had mentioned Lito in one of your threads, but maybe not . . . He does the same thing that Bama does, only way better because he uses datalogs to check and fine-tune the tune. Plus he really knows what he is doing with tuning these cars, with Bama I think this is highly variable depending on who actually writes your tune. I don't know how much you paid for the Bama "tunes for life" ; but next time you want a tune update, I would consider spending the $100-150 to get it from Lito instead of Bama.

Last edited by Bert; 3/31/21 at 05:37 AM.
Old 3/31/21, 08:51 AM
GT Member

The tunes for life was 160 bucks and the only reason I called them was becaus that's where the tunes I had come from and I was seeing if they could send me my same tunes back but the ones they had for my car didn't have the jlt cold air or the headers on the tune they said the guy I bought the car from must have got the cold air and headers tuned by someone else so the tunes they had for my car would not work because they didn't have the cai on them and they said the only way to get my car running would be to get the tunes for life and add the jlt cold air intake and headers so I gave them a list of my mods and they wrote me a new tune and from now on if I do anymore mods I'll get my tunes revised for free....I didn't really know who to go with on the tunes I'm kinda new to all this stuff.... my other mustang is a v6 and I never had to add any tunes to it... so all this tuning and stuff like that is new to me... but I guess I'll learn as I go right.... cause it seems like everything on my 06 gt that I add needs a tune lol
Old 3/31/21, 08:58 AM
GT Member

And the guy told me that my tuner should not have deleted my tunes when I updated it... he don't know why it did it... but I also think I might need a new tuner... they don't even sell the one I have anymore but it come with my car....I have the sct X3/SF3 tuner
Old 3/31/21, 09:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm pretty sure that is the same tuner that I have, and it works fine for everything that I have needed. The only difference might be, in later versions, I think Bama "locked" some of the parameters that were previously "user adjustable" such as the rear end ratio.

There are two basic reasons for needing a new "tune":
1) You have installed modifications that REQUIRE a tune; because they affect one (or more) of the sensors that feed information to the computer, and if that is not corrected then the car will not run right (because the computer is getting bad information). Typical example is an aftermarket CAI with a larger intake tube than stock; this must be tuned to correct the Mass Air Flow readings.
2) to optimize performance -- some things can be tweaked to get better performance, even though they are not "required" to make the car run right
Old 3/31/21, 10:24 AM
GT Member

Yeah the tuner works fine I think and my tunes worked great on my car I just don't understand why it deleted my old tunes when I did a firmware update... the guy told me my tuner might have malfunctioned... I'm not sure... and now when I do some more mods I'll get free tunes... but I will check out the other one you was taking about my car don't have alot of mods but I plan on doing more in the future.... here is a list of what I have now.... the ones I wrote in is the ones bama didn't have on my old tune that's why I had to buy the tunes for life so I could add those 2 mods... they said he must have got tunes for those 2 mods from someone else cause they didn't have them on file
Old 3/31/21, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

aha . . . I did not realize earlier that you did a firmware update on the tuner . . . that sheds a different light on it; that is very different from simply loading the factory tune back to the car

it has been a few years since I updated the firmware on mine; but as I recall, I was warned to make sure to back-up the tunes before updating the firmware; firmware updates are generally dangerous

the JLT intake would definitely require a tune because it affects the signals from the Mass Air Flow sensor; the car probably would not run right if not tuned for this intake (unless the prior intake had the same tube diameter)

the shorty headers likely affect the front O2 sensors so I guess that is why they require a tune; or that might be an optimization thing (might be not actually required, but a good idea)

Last edited by Bert; 3/31/21 at 11:04 AM.
m05fastbackGT (4/1/21)
Old 3/31/21, 11:57 AM
GT Member

Yeah I think I learn my lesson lol...I thought I was just updating the device kinda like you update your phone I guess, I didn't know it would wipe out my tunes I had... so really I just paid for the same tunes that was already on the car or tuner .
Old 3/31/21, 05:49 PM
GT Member

Man I put the 93 race tune on my car instead of the street or performance tune and now my car hauls *** .... it feels like it has way more power and the throttle response is crazy... this puppy gets up and goes....
Old 4/1/21, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Caseydilbeck78
Yeah the tuner works fine I think and my tunes worked great on my car I just don't understand why it deleted my old tunes when I did a firmware update... the guy told me my tuner might have malfunctioned... I'm not sure... and now when I do some more mods I'll get free tunes... but I will check out the other one you was taking about my car don't have alot of mods but I plan on doing more in the future.... here is a list of what I have now.... the ones I wrote in is the ones bama didn't have on my old tune that's why I had to buy the tunes for life so I could add those 2 mods... they said he must have got tunes for those 2 mods from someone else cause they didn't have them on file
Your programmer did not malfunction. The reason your custom tune files were deleted? was you did a firmware update which updates not only your tuner's software, but also the device itself. Therefore, this is the main reason your end user manual specifically states that whenever performing a firmware update, to make certain to always back up all your tuning flies to either an external hard drive or computer prior to updating the programming device's firmware.
Old 4/2/21, 07:51 AM
GT Member

Ok I see... yeah I didn't get any instructions with my tuner it just came with the car when I got it and to tell the truth I really didn't even know what I was doing I just thought it was updating the device but now I know.....I guess you make mistakes and learn from them.....I know I did....
Old 4/2/21, 05:25 PM

The instructions can also be located on the SCT website for future reference.

http://sctflash.com

Caseydilbeck78 (4/2/21)
Old 4/2/21, 05:34 PM
GT Member

Ok cool... thank you
Old 4/2/21, 05:40 PM

You're very welcome.