2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Bad news for future SEs?

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/04, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would make sense to me that as we near closer to running out of fossil fuels, that the coming years will not yeild high horsepower SEs with crazy displacements. There just won't be room for 5.4L gas guzzling v8s soon...in 20 years we could all be driving hydrogen-powered stangs (assuming they make production cheaper) What do you all think?
Old 9/19/04, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I think in order for hydrogen engines to really be successful, companies will have to make some kind of converters that allow gas engines to run on hydrogen.
Old 9/19/04, 11:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mach One@September 19, 2004, 10:52 AM
It would make sense to me that as we near closer to running out of fossil fuels, that the coming years will not yeild high horsepower SEs with crazy displacements. There just won't be room for 5.4L gas guzzling v8s soon...in 20 years we could all be driving hydrogen-powered stangs (assuming they make production cheaper) What do you all think?
I hope they don't look goofy ....
Old 9/19/04, 11:35 AM

I think this is a slippery slope. It depends on who you listen to.

I think the powers that be in this country will do everything possible to keep oil and gas prices and availability here in the US as comfortable as possible, so Americans can continue to live the way we live.

I've got a 2005 GT arriving in a few weeks (?) and this is something I guess I'll think/worry about later. Isn't that what we're all good at doing?

Anyway, we've got billions o' barrels of dino juice locked up in the tar sands in Alberta Canada. All hail Canada - the next oil super power. :worship:

And there's always bio-diesel...
Hmm, 2012 biodiesel Mustang GT.
Looks like a Mustang, but smells like french fries.

I think hydrogen power is about as likely as those flying cars they've been talking about for years..

Linky resources:

http://www.peakoil.net/
http://www.projectcensored.org/publi...s/2005/18.html
http://www.biodiesel.org/
http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/news/ntn33230.htm
Old 9/19/04, 11:36 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
ehhh.... take your pick - mad max in 20 or 95 years assuming they dont come up with affordable viable technologies to extract oil from places they cant now or increase the efficiency of what they are doing now.

gasoline is the crap that they skim off the top of crude as they crack it. There are bigger things to worry about if oil runs out, like no more planes, trains, ships or tractors. as well as all the other petroleum derived products that make life fun. Your lights will go out first before your car quits running due to lack of fuel.

The truth of the matter is nobody can accurately predict when crude oil will run out. The guy who came up with the time table developed the theory back in the 70's, so its been almost 30 years since then and new technologies have come along since then allowing even more crude to be recovered. My perosnal theory, when the oceans run dry and large areas of land become sinkholes for inexplicable reasons, I think maybe we've burnt up all the crude oil in the earth.
Old 9/19/04, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

Well, we wouldn't be running out of fossil fuels if our environmentalists in America let us drill in Alaska or someplace else where it would not impact any people.

I hate the people who say things like, "We need to decrease our dependance on foreign oil so our economy can be safe." And then go a vote against drilling in desolate spots in the US.
Old 9/19/04, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

1. Every year the usable oil reserves in the world go UP, not down. We have so much now that it's going to be decades before we run out... and ...

2. There is evidence to suggest that so-called fossil fuels may not actually be fossil fuels . There are some oil reserves that are inexplicably replenishing themselves, and in a way that makes it essentially impossible to have originated as a dinosaur... and there is chemistry to support methane as a source for oil.

So I wouldn't worry just yet. I'll probably be long dead when this world runs out of oil, if it ever does.

Dave
Old 9/19/04, 12:29 PM
GT Member

Maybe we should start looking for other sources of fuel instead of tearing up Alaska. People shouldn't spend their time fighting for or against it they should go do some research and figure out something else to power our vehicles.
Old 9/19/04, 01:26 PM
FR500 Member

Ford has already done a gasoline to hydrogen conversion. They've converted a Focus to hydrogen using the existing motor. Saw it on PBS a few weeks ago.
Old 9/19/04, 01:31 PM
Cobra Member

if gas prices go up id drive a v6 as long as it looked fast
Old 9/19/04, 01:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@September 19, 2004, 12:29 PM
Ford has already done a gasoline to hydrogen conversion. They've converted a Focus to hydrogen using the existing motor. Saw it on PBS a few weeks ago.
Id like to see that on a V8. I saw that pbs one too a few months ago. It didnt sound weird or anything.
Old 9/19/04, 01:33 PM
GT Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought that the v8 and v6 would have very similar gas mileage (depending on how you drive it of course ).
Old 9/19/04, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by wantan05@September 19, 2004, 12:32 PM
Maybe we should start looking for other sources of fuel instead of tearing up Alaska. People shouldn't spend their time fighting for or against it they should go do some research and figure out something else to power our vehicles.
We aren't tearing up Alaska.

In my view, it is better to "tear up" as you would call it, less than 1% of Alaska, than to depend on foreign oil. Maybe you should go drive a Prius?

And about the gas mileage-I think the V8 gets about 3-4 mpg worse. Luckily, it runs on regular!
Old 9/19/04, 06:30 PM
V6 Member

If gas starts to run out, its ok, we'll all drive SUPERSTALLIONS!!! woo hoo!!!
Old 9/19/04, 06:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Soy based desil corn based gas there are loads of possibilites necessity is the mother of invention when we need it we can invent it.
Old 9/19/04, 06:58 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by wantan05@September 19, 2004, 12:32 PM
Well, what makes more sense, tear up Alaska, a frozen wasteland that has less than 1 person living in each square mile, or start drilling for oil in Downtown Chicago where the population densisty is about 100,000 people per Square mile?

And how much research have you done into alternative fuels. Have you given up your car yet?
Old 9/19/04, 07:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by bob@September 19, 2004, 11:39 AM
ehhh.... take your pick - mad max in 20 or 95 years assuming they dont come up with affordable viable technologies to extract oil from places they cant now or increase the efficiency of what they are doing now.

gasoline is the crap that they skim off the top of crude as they crack it. There are bigger things to worry about if oil runs out, like no more planes, trains, ships or tractors. as well as all the other petroleum derived products that make life fun. Your lights will go out first before your car quits running due to lack of fuel.

The truth of the matter is nobody can accurately predict when crude oil will run out. The guy who came up with the time table developed the theory back in the 70's, so its been almost 30 years since then and new technologies have come along since then allowing even more crude to be recovered. My perosnal theory, when the oceans run dry and large areas of land become sinkholes for inexplicable reasons, I think maybe we've burnt up all the crude oil in the earth.
That's if earth can last that long!!!!
Old 9/19/04, 07:29 PM
Cobra Member

Thankyou V10. You stated it better than I did.
Old 9/19/04, 07:31 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by montreal ponies+September 19, 2004, 7:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (montreal ponies @ September 19, 2004, 7:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bob@September 19, 2004, 11:39 AM

That's if earth can last that long!!!! [/b][/quote]
I believe your implication to be highly inaccurate.

A few facts:

--The Earth was once a gigantic fireball

--The Earth has had meteors the size of a metropolis pommel it.

--Life existed on this planet before said meteors. It still exists now.

Make no mistake, this is a very hardy planet. It will survive everything we could possibly hurl at it. Life will adapt. Life will prevail. It has already. When another catastrophic event occurs, natural, celestial, or otherwise, there will still be plenty of cockroaches left to trudge onward.

The Earth isn't fragile. WE are.
Old 9/19/04, 07:36 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by V10@September 19, 2004, 7:01 PM
Well, what makes more sense, tear up Alaska, a frozen wasteland that has less than 1 person living in each square mile, or start drilling for oil in Downtown Chicago where the population densisty is about 100,000 people per Square mile?

And how much research have you done into alternative fuels. Have you given up your car yet?
Alaska would not have been torn up. The minimally-invasive drilling techniques that modern technology allows would have only "torn up" less than 1.5% of the Alaskan reserve. Oil drilling technologies and techniques have come a long way since the Midland, TX drillings.

What stood in the way of this plan? Caribou. The ones who inhabit the reserve, but, in all likelihood, wouldn't have found it too difficult to avoid the drills.

Quick Reply: Bad news for future SEs?