2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

AZ emissions testing - too easy?

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/10, 07:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AZ emissions testing - too easy?

Just got my emissions test done on the car, hard to believe it will be 5 years in just a couple of weeks. With previous vehicles in years past, they used to roll it on a "dyno" where they ran the cars through a simulated road course, accelerating, decelerating, etc. with sniffers on the exhaust measuring output of various readings. With my last vehicle, my wife's Jeep and now the Mustang, they just hooked up an OBD scan tool, started it up, idled for 10 seconds, shut it off, checked the gas cap and sent me on my way. Here's what was measured:

Key on engine off/cranking bulb check - PASS
Key on engine running bulb check - PASS
OBD connector integrity - PASS
Malfunction indicator light (MIL) status - COMMANDED OFF: PASS

That's it? So no check engine light and verify that the MIL's are not turned off and you're good to go? I thought I remembered there being a way in a tune to "turn off" the MIL's without flagging them as off, and I mean a different way than MIL eliminators. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but perhaps someone can chime in? I've been waiting on LT's until the emissions test was due, figuring I'd have to swap them back in a couple of years. But now...
Old 3/16/10, 07:41 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by azoufan
Just got my emissions test done on the car, hard to believe it will be 5 years in just a couple of weeks. With previous vehicles in years past, they used to roll it on a "dyno" where they ran the cars through a simulated road course, accelerating, decelerating, etc. with sniffers on the exhaust measuring output of various readings. With my last vehicle, my wife's Jeep and now the Mustang, they just hooked up an OBD scan tool, started it up, idled for 10 seconds, shut it off, checked the gas cap and sent me on my way. Here's what was measured:

Key on engine off/cranking bulb check - PASS
Key on engine running bulb check - PASS
OBD connector integrity - PASS
Malfunction indicator light (MIL) status - COMMANDED OFF: PASS

That's it? So no check engine light and verify that the MIL's are not turned off and you're good to go? I thought I remembered there being a way in a tune to "turn off" the MIL's without flagging them as off, and I mean a different way than MIL eliminators. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but perhaps someone can chime in? I've been waiting on LT's until the emissions test was due, figuring I'd have to swap them back in a couple of years. But now...
The OBD systems are so advanced on cars now that yeah, thats it. If everything it working correctly then the car is GTG.

Massachusetts went to that type of testing a few years back and it is so much easier and quicker now.
Old 3/18/10, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
they do the same thing in new jersey. i got nervious when ever they would walk across the back off the car when it was on because i never took off my SLP Loudmouths. they would look at the tips for a second and go on there way.
Old 3/18/10, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you leave your tune and CAI in????
Old 3/18/10, 11:25 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
we dont have emissions in flagstaff.
Old 3/18/10, 11:30 PM

just passed MD emissions with CAI, tune, and no catalytic converters. so yeah, you can leave everything on. just don't have a check engine light.
Old 3/18/10, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by area5179
they do the same thing in new jersey. i got nervious when ever they would walk across the back off the car when it was on because i never took off my SLP Loudmouths. they would look at the tips for a second and go on there way.
dude, yeah, i got nervous every second the car was running, making a big racket and reaking of gasoline, due to o/r h-pipe. but the computer said it was good.. and i guess that's all that matters.
Old 3/19/10, 12:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I too had my CAI and tune in. I didn't change a thing, just drove in. Back in the day, the rumor was that it was better for your car to be cold, I don't know about that but I pulled in after 30+ miles in bumper to bumper traffic and no issues.

While we do have emissions testing here, we don't have inspections for "safety". I've heard of people in other states failing for no cats, "illegal" exhaust, window tint, even one guy on this board for the sequential turn signals. ****'s.
Old 3/19/10, 12:10 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I find sequential turn signals and tail lights to be more safe.
Old 3/19/10, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, most tunes like Bama turn off the rear 02 sensor. This causes some type of fault code.
Old 3/20/10, 09:29 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by awakeinAZ
Well, most tunes like Bama turn off the rear 02 sensor. This causes some type of fault code.
It's not a really a fault code. The car has a series of readiness monitors it runs on the emissions system. When the rear O2's are turned off the monitor for them can never me put in "ok" status. As a result the car will not pass the OBD "plugin" test. You will never get a CEL from this, the guy doing the testing will probably just tell you to drive the car for a few days and come back. But that won't work, you need to go back to stock or get an emissions tune.
Old 3/20/10, 07:38 PM
V6 Member

It´s the same here in germany. Every vehicle from the year of build 2006 will be tested with the same procedure.
Old 3/20/10, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07S197
It's not a really a fault code. The car has a series of readiness monitors it runs on the emissions system. When the rear O2's are turned off the monitor for them can never me put in "ok" status. As a result the car will not pass the OBD "plugin" test. You will never get a CEL from this, the guy doing the testing will probably just tell you to drive the car for a few days and come back. But that won't work, you need to go back to stock or get an emissions tune.
Thx for the info on the OBD. That's why I was surprised when I asked above if azoufan had left the aftermarket tune in the car and they said yes.
Old 3/22/10, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

But I don't have LT's and so consequently, my o2 sensors are still functioning as normal.
Old 3/22/10, 01:44 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by azoufan
But I don't have LT's and so consequently, my o2 sensors are still functioning as normal.
True but in the tune it's self they can turn the rear O2's off and even thou they are still installed on the car. This enables to computer to run faster because it has to look at fewer things.