2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Arrival Time pushed back?

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/04, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of Southern California, I test drove a GTO (just because I was curious about the car; I'm getting a Mustang) over the weekend. The dealership had four GTOs in front of the dealership. They were charging a markup of $5,000 on each, for a total price of $38,000 on the car.

True there are only 18,000 units produced a year of this car, but from what I heard they aren't selling very well to begin with. He told me the reason for the markup was because it is a limited produciton car, with a 2 year run. I told him it has a two year run because that's how long it will take to redesign the car into something that doesn't look like a Grand Prix.
Old 7/28/04, 08:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Piston NV@July 28, 2004, 5:13 AM
Cali mark-ups are legendary around here

the first year Vipers were marked up an extra $50,000 (that's 2-4-1)
the first year (& second year in Walnut Creek) Miatas were selling for $40K-$50,000 -- maybe more buyers should pay attention to the D.A.R.E programs...LOL
You're right Piston NV

In fact the dealership i was talking to said that T-bird markup was 10K, but it died quickly, then he said the Expedition was marked up and was marked up for most of the year just because people are buying SUVs everywhere. They can get away with it out here in Calif. :bang: They guy I was talking to is the FLeet manager there and he is a good guy, he doesn't have control on what the dealership is going to do so he called me to warn me that they were marking them up 5k and if they sell like hotcakes then they would stay at 5k until people stop buying them. But he did promise me that if I wanted a car from the second batch that would arrive 2-3 weeks later than the first ones that he could promise me only a 2500k mark up, and if I wanted to wait until the third batch gets there then it "should" be sticker price but only if they are not "hot".
Old 7/28/04, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by CA Stang@July 28, 2004, 8:35 AM
I told him it has a two year run because that's how long it will take to redesign the car into something that doesn't look like a Grand Prix.
And that's not even the worse part. I mean this "poser" is powered by a Camaro engine...Whatever happened to the days of Ram Air III?! At least Ford is making a genuine effort to bring back the real deal. Only this time much better than the days of the classics. As things stand right now the new Mustang has no competitors. The GTO is a rebadged Chevrolet Camaro, witth Grand Prix's interior, priced closer to the 'vette's price.

2005 Mustangs Rules!! :drive:
Old 7/28/04, 09:08 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think GM may have overestimated the appeal of the GTO,

that said, I think dealerships are pulling what they did with the '02 Thunderbird.. trying to cash in on the hype... there could be many unsold GTO's sitting on lots, the same way things happened with Tbirds

That being said, there is enough volume and enough dealers with 2005 Mustangs that you should not get fleeced. Obviously everyone wants the noteriety of having the first Mustang in town, but is it worth the extra cost that some dealers will try and pull on you? waiting 2-4 months can save you a lot of money.
Old 7/30/04, 08:55 AM

(This is my first post, let's hope I don't make any message board blunders...)

My dealer, Plantation Ford in suburban Fort Lauderdale, is telling me the 05 Mustang coupe will not be available until the end of the year, and the convertible not until next summer.

The lease on my 02 convertible runs out in Feb, about when the new covertible is SUPPOSED to be available, and I plan to replace my V6 with a GT. If they're right, it's going to be a problem.

Does this timeline ring true with any of you? The dealer is trying to get me to end the lease early and buy an 04 GT, so I wonder if they are just blowing smoke...any ideas?

Don
Old 7/30/04, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I was told and read that job 1 (I guess it's called that) for the verts is 1/31. So figure build time and shipping time from that day, ~4-8 weeks depending on what you read, to when verts hit lots assuming not back up or build problems.
Old 7/30/04, 09:21 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing that could delay delivery is the practice of holding back the first batch of cars.

When Ford was launching the Freestar, I was driving by the Oakville plant on a daily basis, they had about a 3-400 acre lot stuffed with the vans. My assumption is they filled the lot up until they were sure that they were not going out with a lot of defects. once that was confirmed, they shipped them all out. I am sure Ford will be doing something like that with the Mustang as well. They don't want any bad press from a problematic launch.
Old 7/30/04, 09:35 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Dealer said now all new 05 Mustangs won't come until week after Thanksgiving, because Ford told them they what all 04 Mustangs sold and off their lots when new 05s come in.
Old 7/30/04, 09:47 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Okay, that does it. I am currently kicking myself in the rear end because I didn't go ahead with the General Lee- at least that one would be sitting in my garage right now, not some blasted ghost car that keeps arriving later and later to it's own party.
Last I heard from mine was first week of October, and I could have dealt with that. Rip off dealer I use for test drives said Mid November- but heres a deal on the 04. I swear I need medications.
Old 7/30/04, 09:51 AM
GT Member

I really don't think Ford would hold up the release for that purpose. If all goes according to schedule and Job 1 indeed goes off on Sept 7 the cars will be available before Thanksgiving. I have seen several similar statements by dealers and I'm pretty sure it is just a case of dealers trying to sell their 04's now.
Old 7/30/04, 09:56 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by legendlimetime@July 30, 2004, 10:54 AM
I really don't think Ford would hold up the release for that purpose. If all goes according to schedule and Job 1 indeed goes off on Sept 7 the cars will be available before Thanksgiving. I have seen several similar statements by dealers and I'm pretty sure it is just a case of dealers trying to sell their 04's now.
Well you know, with every day that goes by with me still in an Alero........I am a disgruntled driver, and NO I can't make the darned thing perform like a sports car no matter how I abuse it.
I was supposed to have been driving one for 3 months now. Remember long ago and far away when the 05 was going to be available 5/05? Then August? Then September? Then October? Whats Next? January? Even though I would like to wake up on my bday with one in the driveway with a big pink bow on it...
Ford is creating a nation of people who are going to go mentally insane playing the waiting game, and I get to lead the pack.
Nowadays- I say honeeeeeeeey to my husband, his standard reply: This isn't something about that $%&# mustang again is it? Men.
Old 7/30/04, 10:00 AM
GT Member

I hear you! I'm tired of waiting too but if you look real hard you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.....no maybe that isn't a light....I dunno maybe it is.
Old 7/30/04, 10:02 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by legendlimetime@July 30, 2004, 11:03 AM
I hear you! I'm tired of waiting too but if you look real hard you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.....no maybe that isn't a light....I dunno maybe it is.
I need Valium as it is...
Old 7/30/04, 10:03 AM
GT Member

Maybe it's 4 lights......4 headlamps!
Old 7/30/04, 10:10 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa. They're coming to take me away, ho ho, he he, ha ha, To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time And I'll be happy to see those nice young Men in their clean white coats and They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds And basket weavers who sit and smile And twiddle their thumbs and toes And they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!

I think they should give say.......... 500 of them away today- have a mule lottery. Let those of us who don't want to wait have at em! Let us play with em, let us place them to be seen and drooled over.......right.
Old 7/30/04, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Don in Lauderdale@July 30, 2004, 8:58 AM
(This is my first post, let's hope I don't make any message board blunders...)

My dealer, Plantation Ford in suburban Fort Lauderdale, is telling me the 05 Mustang coupe will not be available until the end of the year, and the convertible not until next summer.

The lease on my 02 convertible runs out in Feb, about when the new covertible is SUPPOSED to be available, and I plan to replace my V6 with a GT. If they're right, it's going to be a problem.

Does this timeline ring true with any of you? The dealer is trying to get me to end the lease early and buy an 04 GT, so I wonder if they are just blowing smoke...any ideas?

Don
Don,

you should tell the lease holder (Ford Credit?) you want to extend the lease a few months, and then get an 05 vert when it arrives. Most if not all leasors will allow you to pay the monthly amount for 2-6 extra months past the end date, no questions asked, especially if the lease is through the manufacturer.
Old 7/30/04, 12:20 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@July 27, 2004, 4:10 PM
For 5k you can fly out of state and buy it elsewhere. Enjoy the vacation while you are there and drive it home. Refuse the markup.
but not even 5k, find a cheap ticket one way, buy the 05 and drive it back, and laugh at the salesman telling him how much you bought it for!
Old 7/30/04, 03:05 PM
Cobra Member

Do not pay above MSRP....as the Stang is a volume car, anything above MSRP is just a dealer taking you for a ride...pun intended.

For those who are on Z-plan(I'm not sure about other plans), a dealer must offer all or none of its cars on the Z-plan (minus the Ford GT and Aston Martins, of course)

As for delivery date...9-7 suppose about 500 cars rolling outta the plant...9-8 about 1000 cars rolling outta the plant, and about the same for the rest of production. Us guys in the Midwest will probably get our cars within two weeks from 9-7...I'm sure many cars will also be shipped to Cal, so maybe 2 or 3 weeks for west coast after 9-7. Everywhere else should see the first ones floating in around early November.
Old 7/30/04, 03:26 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by FrankBullitt05@July 30, 2004, 4:08 PM

As for delivery date...9-7 suppose about 500 cars rolling outta the plant...9-8 about 1000 cars rolling outta the plant, and about the same for the rest of production. Us guys in the Midwest will probably get our cars within two weeks from 9-7...I'm sure many cars will also be shipped to Cal, so maybe 2 or 3 weeks for west coast after 9-7. Everywhere else should see the first ones floating in around early November.
Who do I need to nag to change this?
Mid november is cold and nasty. I don't want a car in Mid November!I may need to take a road trip somewhere.
Old 7/30/04, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

You could Nag Mr. Ford himself Not sure if that will help you though!

Quick Reply: Arrival Time pushed back?