2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the Ford OEM HID's? WHat do you guys think? Better then Kits? ====

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/08, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Anyone have the Ford OEM HID's? WHat do you guys think? Better then Kits? ====

Hi Guys

I was seeing what you guys think of the OEM HID kits and if they are any
better then the HID kits people add on?

If you have the OEM set up to you add HID's to your GT foglights? or is that
way to much?

Would like to hear what you all think and if anyone has any photos that
would be great.
Old 5/7/08, 02:36 PM
V6 Member

I have an aftermarket HID kit (Retrosolutions, 55W 6000K BiXenon) and I have compared it with an OEM set. My aftermarket set blows away the OEM set, as far as lighting up the surrounding area, and distance. The color of the light is personal preference... mine is white with a hint of blue. OEM's are sort of yellowish.

Also, if you inspect my engine compartment, you will find the relay and the ballasts. Plus, its illegal. So, its your choice lol

I am very happy with my set though.
Old 5/7/08, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
HID

Originally Posted by VerginaStang
I have an aftermarket HID kit (Retrosolutions, 55W 6000K BiXenon) and I have compared it with an OEM set. My aftermarket set blows away the OEM set, as far as lighting up the surrounding area, and distance. The color of the light is personal preference... mine is white with a hint of blue. OEM's are sort of yellowish.

Also, if you inspect my engine compartment, you will find the relay and the ballasts. Plus, its illegal. So, its your choice lol

I am very happy with my set though.
I also have Retro-Solutions 6000K BiXenon HID's, but I have the 35W kit. I absolutely love mine, zero problems.
Old 5/7/08, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe a more valuable approach would be: "Compare the stock HIDs with an aftermarket set of HID's of comparable market price and technical specification."

Ford charges what? $450 for the HID option? I'm sure there's folks with $1k+ HID setups with higher outputs...but that's not really worth the comparison.
Old 5/7/08, 03:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VerginaStang
I have an aftermarket HID kit (Retrosolutions, 55W 6000K BiXenon) and I have compared it with an OEM set. My aftermarket set blows away the OEM set, as far as lighting up the surrounding area, distance,...
and blinding oncoming drivers.

Lighting up surrounding areas is not something you want headlights to do, they should light up the road.

I have OEM HID's and they blow the stock halogen headlights away. I had a 2008 V6 with halogen headlights immediately prior to my 2008 GT with the HID's. The HID's are brighter, more focused, and superbright on high beams.

The color is 4300K, close to sunlight (5000K), and the color temperature at which xenon gas produces its highest light output (lumens). Xenon gas' luminosity falls off considerably above 4300K. 6000K is bordering on blue and has approximately 20% less light.

I changed my fogs to 2500K yellow to make them more practical in real fog - something we see quite a bit of in the San Francisco bay area.

Martin

Last edited by mhconley; 5/8/08 at 07:26 AM.
Old 5/7/08, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Arrow

Ya I was thinking if I went with OEM HID light set up what would I do with
the GT Fogs? IF you leave them with Stock bulbs they will look like junk with
HID headlights or do I make them HID to match the OEM HID headlight? But then would the HID fogs be blinding people? Or ?
Old 5/7/08, 06:52 PM

Fog lights are not meant to be a high intensity light. They are yellow because yellow light cuts through fog more than a normal white driving light. Hence, why Ford kept the fog lights yellow with the added HID option. It would be kind of redundant to convert your fog lights to two more HID lights. If you really don't like the appearance just get an aftermarket grill that deletes them.

Last edited by infinityonhigh; 5/7/08 at 06:55 PM.
Old 5/7/08, 11:43 PM
Cobra Member

+1 It defeats the purpose of fog lights. It's a tough choice. I'm running OEM HID's. I haven't seen aftermarket ones in person so I cannot comment on them. OEM HID's are far better than the regular halogens
Old 5/8/08, 02:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ford setup will cost you about $1000 to retrofit. The aftermarket (VVME is what I have) costs $100. I also wouldn't go over a 6000K setup. I have the 8000K kit and it is noticibly brighter but really blue. It looks cool but it is almost too much blue. I'm ordering a 4300K set for my wife's car.
Old 5/8/08, 05:15 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I recommend the 4100-4300K HIDs because that is what the OEM's use. It is a white light that is slightly yellow. Anything higher tends to look blue and reduces the lighting efficiency.

The stock halogen headlamps and foglamps are about 3200K, which is white but with more yellow.

The OEM HIDs is what I'd choose because they're a drop-in replacement. My only issue is the high cost ($1000).
Old 5/8/08, 05:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I've found my OEM's are really nice, pretty white compared to my fogs, and illuminate better than any other headlight I've had including projector.
Old 5/8/08, 02:29 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mhconley
and blinding oncoming drivers.

Lighting up surrounding areas is not something you want headlights to do, they should light up the road.

I have OEM HID's and they blow the stock halogen headlights away. I had a 2008 V6 with halogen headlights immediately prior to my 2008 GT with the HID's. The HID's are brighter, more focused, and superbright on high beams.

The color is 4300K, close to sunlight (5000K), and the color temperature at which xenon gas produces its highest light output (lumens). Xenon gas' luminosity falls off considerably above 4300K. 6000K is bordering on blue and has approximately 20% less light.

I changed my fogs to 2500K yellow to make them more practical in real fog - something we see quite a bit of in the San Francisco bay area.

Martin
My set does NOT blind on-coming drivers. I have an 06 GT (05's have it too) which has a black shield which covers the Headlight bulb. 07+ do not have this shield; instead, Ford cheaped out and painted the tip of their bulb black, I believe. This shield does not allow the bulb to be exposed, and the cutoff is similar to that of the stock halogens.

Plus, my headlights are tinted lol although they did not blind before.

My set cost me $170, and personally its the biggest waste of money to pay $500 for inferior HIDs- plus, I didnt have the option when I had the car lol.