Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have Bilsteins?? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/07, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have Bilsteins?? Opinions?

Hi guys. I am looking for shocks to go with H&R sport springs.

Does anyone have the Bilsteins installed yet that can comment on them?

I have read enough about tokicos to know that they are great. But Bilstein always makes a great shock too.

I spoke with Bilstein engineering today and they claim that they did a ton of tuning on them. Major areas that were addressed were nose dive under braking, axel tramp, front/rear pitch and roll, etc. They also did alot of work to the rear shocks to try to eliminate some of the side stepping that occurs when hitting rough pavement mid corner.

They claim to have tested them extensivly with H&R and eibach sport springs as well as stockers. They are good up to only a 1" drop due to the front internal bump stops. Sport versions that support a larger drop and have stiffer rates have not been released yet.

They claim to have them tuned to be a nice stiff street shock with the approx ride stiffness of an E36 M3. I have been in/driven a bunch of e36 M cars and the ride is a fairly nice comprimise.

It all sounds good to me!! I just want some reviews.
Old 2/14/07, 05:59 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
HD Bilsteins have traditionally been overdampened to give that "stiff" ride quality and they don't react fast enough to follow the road (lots of wheel hop over bad roads).

One of the things Bilstein needs to do is make sure all of their shocks have boots or protective coverings for the shock rod to prevent damage/wear on the shaft seals, and to possibly use polyurethane bushings right out of the box.

Bilstein's warranty is also pretty spotty. Several Bilsteins snapped at the weld spot for the rear shock on Crown Vics and Police Interceptors, and Bilstein didn't replace them under warranty.

I can't say much about Tokico, but they are a supplier for the OEMs so they make factory shocks for some vehicle platforms.