2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

anyone have any paint problems?

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/06, 06:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone have any paint problems?

i have today off...so i get up early...run to the carwash to rinse it off...gonna wax and polish my car

while at the carwash...i run the wand over the front bumper...i am probably 4 feet away from the bumper and the paint starts to fly off

i was curious if anyone has had any troubles with this...there wasnt a rockchip or anything in that area i know of that

do you think i can get a warranty claim on this...or am i SOL and have to pay to have the bumper reshot out of pocket?

i am just sick about this...
Attached Thumbnails anyone have any paint problems?-chip1.jpg   anyone have any paint problems?-chip2.jpg  
Old 7/3/06, 08:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Chad,

I feel your pain. On my 2000 GT, I had the same thing happen. It was covered under warrantly.

Good luck with it.
Old 7/3/06, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Chad,

I feel your pain. On my 2000 GT, I had the same thing happen. It was covered under warrantly.

Good luck with it.
what did you tell the dealer...did they give you any hassle?

the dealer i purchased the car from...has service that sucks...sometimes the lowest price isnt always the best i have found out

i am taking it to my old dealer to get the shaker replaced and want this resolved

any input would be greatful...thanks Tony
Old 7/3/06, 09:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I told them exactly what happened. They asked if it already was an area where a rock chip existed, to which I replied 'no'. I did not get any hassle. It was obvious from the inspection that the paint was peeling back. I did not touch it or pull off any loose paint before I took it in to be checked.

If you have a good relationship with a certain dealer, that will certainly help. Also, it would be good to inquire if they have a body shop that does their paint work or if they farm it out to someone else. The care taken in surface preparation counts A LOT!

Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 7/3/06, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

I told them exactly what happened. They asked if it already was an area where a rock chip existed, to which I replied 'no'. I did not get any hassle. It was obvious from the inspection that the paint was peeling back. I did not touch it or pull off any loose paint before I took it in to be checked.

If you have a good relationship with a certain dealer, that will certainly help. Also, it would be good to inquire if they have a body shop that does their paint work or if they farm it out to someone else. The care taken in surface preparation counts A LOT!

Let me know if you have other questions.
thanks alot Tony

the radio hasnt came in yet...so hopefully it will be in soon...so the paint doesnt get worse
Old 7/3/06, 03:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I zoomed in on the photo and it looks like you had something drip down the front bumper. It looks a lot like damage from brake fluid.
Old 7/4/06, 02:36 PM
Cobra Member

wow...LBP i never noticed that untill you said something

it does look as if something ran down the bumper
Old 7/10/06, 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

How the heck can brake fluid get onto the front bumper like that....It's a good few feet away from the resevoir. Weird though, I see it too.
Old 7/11/06, 07:57 AM
Cobra Member

dealer said that they would warranty it and contract it out to a body shop here in town...even tho they have a body shop at the dealer

thanks alot tony
Old 7/11/06, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool! I'm glad they are going to fix it under warranty.
Old 7/11/06, 07:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Glad to hear - let us know how it goes!
Old 7/11/06, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
i
do you think i can get a warranty claim on this...or am i SOL and have to pay to have the bumper reshot out of pocket?

i am just sick about this...
Let me guess the color is close to silver?...My dad was a body shop guy who later worked for Ford and there used to be all sorts of stories about how every manufacturer (not just Ford) just couldn't keep Silver on the cars. Huge chunks would fly off while driving...Supposedly they have overcome those hurdles...meanwhile, I'll still never buy anything looking like Silver...
Old 7/12/06, 10:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Chad- What are you doing at a quarter blaster carwash?

Next time (and everytime thereafter) handwash your baby. Those high pressure nozzles at dollar carwashes can do alot of damage.
Old 7/12/06, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Chad- What are you doing at a quarter blaster carwash?

Next time (and everytime thereafter) handwash your baby. Those high pressure nozzles at dollar carwashes can do alot of damage.
What do most people do in the winter? This only includes those climates where it actually reaches below 30 during the day...
Old 7/12/06, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by flashfearless
What do most people do in the winter? This only includes those climates where it actually reaches below 30 during the day...
You got me.. I'm in sunny SoCal.

But, my guess is that they drive their truck and keep the Mustang hibernating in the garage.
Old 7/12/06, 02:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chad-good to see that you got a good dealer to handle the problem. I would have done the same for my customers here in Ohio.
BTW, my Mustang is a year round driver-fortunately working at a dealer, she gets bathed inside at least once a week during the winter!
Old 7/12/06, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
The touchless car wash...

I have used spray wands with no issues to wet down and do the final rinse. I generally don't use it full blast, and I definitely don't use the foaming brushes.

The only time I had a problem was when a similar thing happened to me on my 2000 GT like happened to Chad. After the re-painting was done, there were no further problems.
Old 7/13/06, 07:32 AM
Cobra Member

The touchless car wash...

I have used spray wands with no issues to wet down and do the final rinse. I generally don't use it full blast, and I definitely don't use the foaming brushes.

The only time I had a problem was when a similar thing happened to me on my 2000 GT like happened to Chad. After the re-painting was done, there were no further problems.
exactly...i only use high pressure inside the wheel wells and treat the foaming brush like acid
Old 7/13/06, 05:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm about to try a spray wand place myself. I'm sick and tired of washing my car and having to detail off the thousands of water spots before I can wax. We have enourmously hard water here, and with temperatures being so hot and no shade for me to wash in, I really have no other option.

I figure I will use the spray on low to rinse and wet, then just handwash like normal.

Yes, I use a water blade, yes I use a waffle weave drying towel, 2 of them, and I wash in sections and immediately dry afterwards. It's still a waterspot/trail nightmare.

When it is 100+ out, and 92-95 at dusk and dawn, you dont have much other choice.
Old 7/13/06, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by TexaStang
... I really have no other option.
Tried Mr. Clean yet?

Quick Reply: anyone have any paint problems?