2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Anybody get an undercoating for their Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/05, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know with newer cars these days it is less necessary to get an undercoating for your car...anybody here get one for their Mustang?
Old 7/9/05, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't. I think it's a waste of money. My '95 GT had no undercoating except what was there from the factory, was driven daily in New England for 10 years, and didn't have any rust at all when I sold it a couple months ago.
Old 7/9/05, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they tried to sell me the package for 1200 bucks which was undercoating and a special formula that would allow easy cleanup of bugs (lol isnt that called wax) and interior scotchguard

i declined, my previous 4 cars didnt have any of that i dont think and were fine
Old 7/9/05, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

just another way for the dealer to make money... plus i would not trust them to do something like that anyway`s
Old 7/9/05, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by WERKED 66@July 9, 2005, 2:23 PM
just another way for the dealer to make money... plus i would not trust them to do something like that anyway`s

I went ahead and sprung for it here in Missouri. We have awful roads year round, and get plenty of salt in the winter. Anyway...5 months later as I changed out my stock exhaust for SLPs, I got a good look at the application they did. Whatta mess. They just sprayed the stuf *****-nilly, and really did what looks like an unprofessional job....like they really hurried it. The coating is VERY thick. Hopefully this just gives me extra protection in the long run, but I am somewhat concerned that "goop" got over-applied, and may cause me problems down the road. I would encourage anyone getting this done to give it careful consideration and ask some questions. Make sure you feel like you really need it, and perhaps get it done away from the dealership if you do.

Time will tell if I made a wise decision.
Old 7/9/05, 03:55 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if anything, I would get a creeping oil put in the doors so that oil seeps into the hem joints so that they don't rust.

I am going to do that even though my Mustang won't see the toronto salt.
Old 7/10/05, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by pumpkinhead@July 9, 2005, 4:55 PM
I went ahead and sprung for it here in Missouri. We have awful roads year round, and get plenty of salt in the winter. Anyway...5 months later as I changed out my stock exhaust for SLPs, I got a good look at the application they did. Whatta mess. They just sprayed the stuf *****-nilly, and really did what looks like an unprofessional job....like they really hurried it. The coating is VERY thick. Hopefully this just gives me extra protection in the long run, but I am somewhat concerned that "goop" got over-applied, and may cause me problems down the road. I would encourage anyone getting this done to give it careful consideration and ask some questions. Make sure you feel like you really need it, and perhaps get it done away from the dealership if you do.

Aside from no need at all for it. That is reason for NOT ever letting someone do that to my vehicles and pay for it on top of it all :notnice:
Old 7/10/05, 08:28 AM
GT Member

I painted mine underneath, with black chassis paint...
Old 7/10/05, 08:30 AM
GT Member

[COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue]I painted mine underneath, with black chassis paint...
Old 7/10/05, 08:33 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are to get anything the oil treatment is the best like Steve/Galaxie says where the oil gets in the doors and fenders in the water run off areas .

I got the oil and undercoating for my stang as well as the leather treatment for the stang .The oil and undercoating was $150.00 each from the dealer and the leather treatment was under $100.00 .

For myself I'm looking for long term ownership .....hopefully 20 plus years

And if you want the best results stay with the mustang while they do this and inspect it after its done .
Old 7/10/05, 08:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

The products are fairly useless, but the warranties that go along with them can have value.

If you're planning on keeping your car for a long time, and the dealer gives you a good warranty (20 years, lifetime, etc.) then it may be worth a hundred bucks or so. Same goes for the interior treatment, scotchgard, "paint protector", etc.

It doesn't really matter if the products "work" or not, since if anything happens, it becomes warranty work.

If a good warranty doesn't come with one of these "products," then IMO you're getting screwed.
Old 7/10/05, 03:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by mustang_78@July 9, 2005, 2:00 PM
I know with newer cars these days it is less necessary to get an undercoating for your car...anybody here get one for their Mustang?
I got the whole package, my wife insisted on it and I was hesitant. The sales lady could tell that I was not interested in it and the price went from $1200 down to $600. They did a nice job and the interior protection is well worth it. I tested the floors with a little water, it beaded up, my wife wiped it away and the carpet was dry as dust.

I am not happy that I can not wax my car with commercial waxes for 5-7 years, but the paintguard sure does shine and I have the renewer to wipe on every 3 months.

I have never used this stuff before, so I hope that it lasts as long as the warranty says (7 years).

[attachmentid=26913]
Old 7/10/05, 03:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by pumpkinhead@July 9, 2005, 12:55 PM

Well, you should have one "QUIET" ride Reggie, as the undercoating is as much sound barrier as protectant.
Old 7/11/05, 09:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

At the Ford dealership where I worked they always had the most underpaid, disgruntled, inexperienced idiot running the undercoating booth. It's the pootiest job on earth.

I'd never have it done at the dealership, that much I know...
Old 7/11/05, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

i undercoated my rear wheel wells with my pirelli's!!!!
Old 7/11/05, 11:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh you know its a waste of money when our dealer stopped doing it a few years ago because no one needs it. It DOES however reduce road noise when put in the right areas, I was actually trying to get my inner rear wheel wheels and trunk underside done to reduce sand noise and couldn't find someone who does it....
Old 7/11/05, 12:54 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be coating mine in rubberized rocker guard coating. It is flexible and is a good sound deadener. I will also be getting the inside of the doors sprayed (oiled) and any seam areas. We get a lot of salt in this area. I drove the car last winter and it is very obvious just looking at the rust on the axle and brake parts. :bang:
Old 7/12/05, 07:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Most manufacturers do not recommend undercoating anymore. The bad part of undercoating is that if you read the info you get with it, they recommend re-applying every few years. If you don't, there are parts of it that come off, etc. and the warranty isn't any good if you haven't re-applied. Also, moisture can get trapped between the undercoating and the body as the undercoating gets older and can cause rust problems.

Your best bet if you drive in snow and salt environments is to wash the car often, especially the underside. A good touchless car wash with an underbody spray is your best defense. Take it from someone who has lived in the salt belt all his life. I had a 10 year old S10 blazer that we traded in recently without a spec of rust on the body anywhere. The undercarriage like the springs and axles were rusty but the underbody was not and all we did was to make sure it got washed often in the winter.

Do you know why many driveline components on vehicles are left un-painted? If you notice, most of these things, like rear ends, leaf springs, etc. are made of heavy, thick steel. It takes rust a long time to penetrate these and so to save a buck, they don't paint them. They are "designed" so to speak, with rust in mind. The engineers know they will get rusty if driven in rain and snow and take that into consideration. I read this from an SAE journal a couple of years ago. So if you want to keep your Mustang pretty underneath, you would want to paint a few things. (Or just never drive it in the rain or snow).
Old 7/13/05, 12:18 AM

At the dealership that I got my car, they offered the same, underbody coating, scotchguard and paint protection. And they were having a special at the time, only $369 for each.

The finance guy tried to explain to me what the paint protection is, some polymer chemical that he had a hard time saying. I had fun with him as I asked him a couple of times about it and he keeps trying to find a way to explain what it was. He tried everything to sell me this protection package. Of course, in the end, I told him I was not interested.

Plus $369 for paint protection? My wax/polish will probably work better. And I enjoy waxing/polishing my vehicles, it helps me relax.
Old 7/13/05, 01:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got the Ziebart undercoating and rust treatment, here on Guam (small island 36 sq. miles surrounded by an ocean full of salt) I figured it would be of some use. Its not all gunky and sloppy looking either really looks good

Quick Reply: Anybody get an undercoating for their Mustang?