2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Are any of you GT owners experiencing wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/05, 05:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so there is nothing more frustrating when you go to do a nice healthy burnout and the freaking car starts to shake like a jackhammer. No I am not talking about the sweet bass from the Shaker 1000.....I am talking about the stupid wheel hop that I have been having!! Is anyone else having this issue? I mean seriously, you'd think that with all the development that went into this car, that wouldnt be a problem. That is what Mustang is all about. We should be able to do a big firebreathing burnout and not have to deal with this. I have a Ranger that can do a better burnout without the wheel hop. Maybe its just a combination of the cold pavement and cold tires, I dont know....but its rather irritatiing if you ask me. Sorry about the rant....but I just had to vent. Anyone got any solutions?? No, not doing burnouts anymore is not a solution......haha
Old 1/31/05, 05:30 PM
Cobra Member

Get a set of the rear lower control arms. It should fix your problem.
Old 1/31/05, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mustang69-05@January 31, 2005, 6:33 PM
Get a set of the rear lower control arms. It should fix your problem.
hopefully it is just weather related. its been rather cold around here so who knows. im really not into sticking all this $$$$ into it just to do burnouts.

by the way....I was looking at your sig, and you have a nice car on the way!!!! Mineral Gray with dark charcoal looks soooooo nice! you wont be dissappointed!
Old 1/31/05, 05:44 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Nah, not weather related. I usually throttle off while passing over bumps, holes, streetcar tracks etc... But with IRS, I'm not sure I'd want to be hammering it over rough road either. However, driving regularly with IRS would be smoother I'm sure. My Probe had IRS and my mustang is still smoother however.

Problem solution: move to a brand new subdivision with freshly paved roads, LOL.
Old 1/31/05, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

turn off the traction
Old 1/31/05, 05:47 PM
V6 Member

Maybe firmer shock and spring settings. Ford had to make certain allowances with the solid-rear-axle in order to obtain the ride and handling target they were after. Funny how Ford cited the dragsters among us as reason for going with the solid-rear huh.
Old 1/31/05, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

traction control is definitely off and its on smooth dry pavement. so i dont know. guess no more burnouts
Old 1/31/05, 06:36 PM
GT Member

Take it back to the dealer and complain. Ford has been doing live axles for years that didn't have this kind of wheel hop problem, surely they got it right on the 2005. I would consider *any* wheel hop to be unacceptable.
Old 1/31/05, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by S197Cobra@January 31, 2005, 7:39 PM
Take it back to the dealer and complain. Ford has been doing live axles for years that didn't have this kind of wheel hop problem, surely they got it right on the 2005. I would consider *any* wheel hop to be unacceptable.
that might be an option if it keeps this up. however, wouldnt i look bad taking it back to my dealer admitting that i am beating on my car like that? well hey, its my car, i can do what i want with it. 3years/36,000miles baby!! woo!!
Old 1/31/05, 06:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by S197Cobra@January 31, 2005, 7:39 PM
Take it back to the dealership because it doesn't do a burnout like you want, somehow, I don't know that the warranty will cover that.
Old 1/31/05, 07:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Somewhere in this forum someone said that Steeda's adjustable lower control arms fixed their wheel hop.
My wheel hop seems to be worse on wet roads and not so bad on dry surfaces but will still act up.
Didn't notice a difference with the temperature changes other than when it was unusually cold here a while back and we had some sort of white stuff on the roads...it seemed I had way more power cause burnouts were real easy and no wheel hop at all...
Old 1/31/05, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by holderca1+January 31, 2005, 7:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ January 31, 2005, 7:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-S197Cobra@January 31, 2005, 7:39 PM
Take it back to the dealership because it doesn't do a burnout like you want, somehow, I don't know that the warranty will cover that.
[/b][/quote] Where did I say take it back because it won't do a proper burnout? Take it into the dealer to be fixed because wheel hop is not acceptable. If you think you must do a burnout to experience wheel hop, think again...

I've had seven Mustangs, all but two were live axle, and none of those ever had trouble with wheel hop. Something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

Dave
Old 1/31/05, 07:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Redfire 05Gt@January 31, 2005, 8:11 PM
Somewhere in this forum someone said that Steeda's adjustable lower control arms fixed their wheel hop.
My wheel hop seems to be worse on wet roads and not so bad on dry surfaces but will still act up.
Didn't notice a difference with the temperature changes other than when it was unusually cold here a while back and we had some sort of white stuff on the roads...it seemed I had way more power cause burnouts were real easy and no wheel hop at all...
I think Boss Hog did some mods to take care of his wheel hop problem if I remember correctly.
Old 1/31/05, 07:47 PM

Could it be that the tires are softer which would give you better grip on pavement verse a harder tire?? I know you can purchase a softer tire for better grip off the line.
Old 1/31/05, 07:54 PM
V6 Member

I also experienced the real bad hop specially when I went to the track. Installed a set of Steeda lower control arms, No more problems.
Old 1/31/05, 08:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by S197Cobra+January 31, 2005, 8:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(S197Cobra @ January 31, 2005, 8:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by holderca1@January 31, 2005, 7:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-S197Cobra
@January 31, 2005, 7:39 PM

Where did I say take it back because it won't do a proper burnout? Take it into the dealer to be fixed because wheel hop is not acceptable. If you think you must do a burnout to experience wheel hop, think again...

I've had seven Mustangs, all but two were live axle, and none of those ever had trouble with wheel hop. Something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

Dave
[/b][/quote]

Umm, that's what the original poster said. He only mentioned wheel hop during a burnout.
Old 1/31/05, 08:37 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Dude1026@January 31, 2005, 10:50 PM
Could it be that the tires are softer which would give you better grip on pavement verse a harder tire?? I know you can purchase a softer tire for better grip off the line.
Definately part of it in some cases. My winters grab like no tomorrow. Obviously.....since the rubber is very soft.
Old 1/31/05, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs down

Are the "Steeda Billet Rear Trailing Arms" the part I need to eliminate the wheel hop in my '05? Like others on this forum, it can get very severe even trying to clean off the tires at the track.

I've read other threads of Steeda's lower control arm fixing the wheel hop, I just want to be sure trailing and control arm are the same thing.

Also, I'm more or less going to take it to the track every now and then, not every weekend. Would it be better for to go with Steeda's street/race arms? Or will the Billets perform better? Performance is more of a priority here. Will there be any adverse handling affects on the car by installing these arms or will there be a positive effect in cornering?

Thanks for any help!
Old 2/1/05, 04:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone else tried putting on Steeda's lower control arms? Any info on them would be appreciated. At least I am not alone in this wheel hop issue.
Old 2/1/05, 05:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom+January 31, 2005, 10:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(outdoorstom @ January 31, 2005, 10:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Redfire 05Gt@January 31, 2005, 8:11 PM
I think Boss Hog did some mods to take care of his wheel hop problem if I remember correctly.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, I installed lower control arms from BMR and they cured the problem 100% on the street and 90% on the track. The problem is caused by the compromises Ford had to make on the car. The soft rubber bushings in the control arms do a great job of isolating road noise from the interior but they also allow the axle to rotate causing wheel hop. After-market control arms keep the axle from rotating but do add more noise to the interior. The problem is worse on the track because the track is much stickier than the street. Also, tires with stiff sidewalls add to the problem because they bounce much better than tires with soft flexable side walls.
IMO taking it back to the dealer will do zero good. There is really nothing he can do to fix a design issue.

The Boss Hog

Quick Reply: Are any of you GT owners experiencing wheel hop?