2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Any option for audio control on steering wheel?

Old 2/9/17, 11:50 AM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Any option for audio control on steering wheel?

Steering wheel mounted audio controls came out in 2010, I believe?? They are a fabulous tool for changing volume and tracks on the audio system, very convenient and safe. I currently have two vehicles with these controls on steering wheel and love the option.

Is there ANY way to install steering wheel audio controls onto a 2005-2009 Mustang? Obviously the steering wheel from 2010 will not work on a '05-'09, but is there an aftermarket remote control that would mount on steering wheel? Of course, this would mean new H/U (head unit) but I wouldn't mind spending the money for the convenience of steering wheel mounted controls.
Old 2/9/17, 01:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Actually you can a 2010 steering wheel and there is a whole thread on it.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...o-mods-528705/
The following users liked this post:
Mojo88 (2/9/17)
Old 2/9/17, 03:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Mojo.....I don't come on here much anymore, but I ddi the initial write up on the swc's into 05-09s. One thing that was not put on the first page, that I should add, is that factory Shaker heads (500 or 1000) will NOT work for swcs. They have to be programmed to work that way. This is why a CD6 or Navigation head is a good choice. The head must come from a vehicle that had swc's turned on in the prior vehicle to work.

I've used Fusion/MKX heads, Taurus/Sable, Edge, etc to set up a few local Mustangs. I took out my Taurus navi (Job 2) head and replaced it with an Android DD unit. Since the Mustang already had the the wiring port in the console, it made hooking up very simple.

This is a very simple installation, if you hook the wiring the same for both WPT connectors. It must match 100% or nothing will operate correctly. You also have to have the right switch on the right side. There are 3 and they are listed in the write up. Good luck. AK
The following users liked this post:
Mojo88 (2/9/17)
Old 2/9/17, 06:40 PM
V6 Member

Wow, many thanks gents! I'd give you each multiple 'thanks' if I could, LOL. Heck, if you were in my area, I'd buy you a beer (or two).

`````

``````````
Old 2/9/17, 06:54 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by akdoggie
Mojo.....I don't come on here much anymore, but I ddi the initial write up on the swc's into 05-09s. One thing that was not put on the first page, that I should add, is that factory Shaker heads (500 or 1000) will NOT work for swcs. They have to be programmed to work that way. This is why a CD6 or Navigation head is a good choice. The head must come from a vehicle that had swc's turned on in the prior vehicle to work.

I've used Fusion/MKX heads, Taurus/Sable, Edge, etc to set up a few local Mustangs. I took out my Taurus navi (Job 2) head and replaced it with an Android DD unit. Since the Mustang already had the the wiring port in the console, it made hooking up very simple.

This is a very simple installation, if you hook the wiring the same for both WPT connectors. It must match 100% or nothing will operate correctly. You also have to have the right switch on the right side. There are 3 and they are listed in the write up. Good luck. AK

My God man, that's a dang fine piece of work you did on the creation of that 8-page PDF instruction write-up. I am not scared to tackle this, but since you've done it already (and wrote the book, haha), can I possibly hire you to do any of the work, or at least as a consultant?

Either way, that is a terrific contribution to the Mustang community. Nicely done!

Search this Thread