2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Anthem commercial story

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/04, 06:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bob@November 20, 2004, 3:50 AM
Still a slap in the face. One can argue that a bit of FOX can be seen in the wheel arches and rear flanks but anyways.

When I think mustang those are first cars to pop in my mind. A nice LX with off-road pipe and some 2 chamber flows with a set of pony wheels or some drag-lites. Then maybe an 03 Cobra in all its uber-charged glory then when one of my geriatric buddies starts talking about mustangs its a 70 mach followed by a 68 fastback then a 66 shelby.
It's all just a Generational thing. A Lot of people don't really remember any Mustangs except the 5.0's and the Fox Bodies cause that's what they grew up with. I for one remember Mustangs as far back as I can remember, since my Mom bought a New Off the Showroom Floor, 73 Mustang Mach 1, and my Cousin had a 69 Grande.

Ford really went after "The Mustang Image" with the 05, you have to admit that if it wasn't for the 64 1/2 - 73's there would be no Famed History behind the Mustang Name. Yeah the Fox Bodied Stangs were fun to drive, but they really never caught the Spirit of the Original Mustang, in my opinion.

I am not hating on anyone, I have friends that have Fox's and they Love Them, and they are a Significant Part of Mustang History, but I for one, always longed for Fords to Return the Mustang's Heritage. I guess i got my wish with the 05.
Old 11/22/04, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob, it's not really a case of saying "We don't like these years, so we won't show them." Heck, if that was the case, a lot of people would question why there was a Mustang II in there.

There are a TON of issues you have to deal with in a spot like this. One of the biggest is the issue of finding historical footage that is (1) in good enough condition to use and (2) getting rights to use that footage.

Anytime we show historical footage in a commercial, even from past Ford commercials, we have to pay the actors a fee to use that footage. Which means we have to be able to find out who the actor was, track them down, and negotiate a new fee. Since much of this stuff is 20 to 30 years old, you can imagine how tough that can be. There were shots we wanted to use, but couldn't simply because we couldn't track down the people involved.

On top of that, you have to try to fit 40 years of Mustang into 60 seconds of time, while giving as much time as possible to the new 05, because that's what's in the showroom right now.

So the Fox-bodies weren't purposely discriminated against, it's just a function of working with what we've got to get the job done.