2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Another "My car got damaged!" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/05, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've driven two other used cars for 9 years, with no road damage. Then, with 1400 miles on it, my new Mustang gets damaged. :bang: It's on the bottom of the drivers door.

Worst part is, I have hardly driven it in a week. I drove it Saturday, then not again untill Wed. afternoon (10 miles). I couldn't stand not driving it any more, so I drove it Friday. Friday was a bad day. The area got 1.5 inches of rain in 30 minutes, and I was in it. Apparently, something kicked up off the road, or it was from the mess of construction around my place of work. (I HATE Toledo roads )

Anyway, it's not pretty. It's right down to the metal, and there is a small dent. Has anybody had this type of damage repaired, especially on a dark colored car? I don't want the door repainted, and just want the area repaired. I'm concerened with Bondo being used, and the clear coat "orange peel" matching. The guy who did the rest of my work specializes in this, but I want a perfect repair, and want to know what has to be done to make it perfect.

On a completely different topic: If you tint the back window, can you still use the defroster? Somebody told me you can't, or the tint will bubble. True?

[attachmentid=27614] [attachmentid=27615]
Old 7/16/05, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

That stinks.
I haven't had anything like that happen yet (Knock on wood).
My guess is, that you won't be able to get just the area repaired. Too difficult to match and cut in.
Best bet is to take it your local trusty body shop and have them fix her up.
Don't claim it on insurance if you can foot the bill. I wouldn't think more than a few hundered dollars.

Good luck.
Old 7/16/05, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

If I'm not mistaken Sonic is a 3 stage metallic. You may get away with just the door, but will probably have to blend into the fender & 1/4 if you want it to look right.
Old 7/16/05, 08:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@July 16, 2005, 8:58 PM
If I'm not mistaken Sonic is a 3 stage metallic. You may get away with just the door, but will probably have to blend into the fender & 1/4 if you want it to look right.

^^ This is why im not ordering black!!
had near exact same damage once, had to paint more than I wanted.

nows about the time to think about that stripe kit.
Old 7/16/05, 08:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Craig I feel your pain. I've been driving for 17 years without one incident of road damage on any of my cars and up until a couple years ago I averaged driving about 20K/year. Well, about a month after I got my car a HUGE stone flew up and put a nice chip in my driver's door above the crease line. A glancing blow but I could see yellow in there beneath where the paint used to be. Then a month after that a random piece of 2x4 got kicked up and slammed into my windshield and bounced off and over my car. Put a small chip in the glass, thankfully it hit the glass and not the front end or hood. Both incidents happend on the NJ Turnpike hmmm :scratch: Take your car to your trusted body shop guy for an honest eval of getting it done right.
Old 7/16/05, 09:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

On a completely different topic: If you tint the back window, can you still use the defroster? Somebody told me you can't, or the tint will bubble. True?

I use my rear window defroster on my tinted back window every morning, with no trouble at all. No bubbles in the rear tint.

Quality of installation issue??