2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

The angst of announcements by Ford

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/05, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have ordered an 05 GT, and then I read this article. Isn't it nice to know that the current car's configuration will be 'improved' upon shortly? Makes me wonder the about the sense of ordering an 05.

Why would a top Ford executive make comments such as this, and perhaps dissuade potential buyers from buying the current car? Or am I just being paranoid about the car as it is now. Is this a typical industry practice?

Any comments on this?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

"Ford Motor Co. is planning upgrades to its new Mustang after just a few months on the market.

Ford product development chief Phil Martens wouldn't provide details of the changes. But he said the upgrades would improve ride and decrease noise, vibration and harshness.

"We're very aware of the shelf life of products," Martens said. "We've pulled it ahead."

He wouldn't detail the timing of any changes.

Barb Samardzich, Ford product development executive director overseeing the Mustang program, characterized the upgrades as the kind of continuous improvement that engineering teams tackle once a vehicle launch is out of the way.

Ford began selling the redesigned 2005 Mustang coupe in October. The 2005 Mustang convertible, which debuted at the Los Angeles auto show last week, goes on sale this spring.

Though he said he's pleased with the front and rear suspension on the redesigned Mustang, Martens also touted the value of independent rear suspension. The Mustang platform has a solid rear axle but was designed to accommodate an independent rear suspension module. Ford has typically used an independent rear suspension for the high-performance Mustang Cobra SVT.

He didn't rule out an eventual move to independent rear suspension for the Mustang platform.

Said Martens: "It is undecided." "
Old 1/9/05, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Found this tidbit on the net:

Ford Motor Co. is planning upgrades to its new Mustang after just a few
months on the market.

Ford product development chief Phil Martens wouldn't provide details of the
changes. But he said the upgrades would improve ride and decrease noise,
vibration and harshness.

"We're very aware of the shelf life of products," Martens said. "We've
pulled it ahead."

B)
Old 1/9/05, 11:19 AM
GT Member

Was there a date anywhere? Would be nice to know the cutoff for the old vs. the new. Wonder if the update will be offered as a kit?
Old 1/9/05, 11:27 AM
FR500 Member

I think it is just fine as it is, they only thing i would change is wheel options, colors, and stripe colors.
Old 1/9/05, 11:28 AM
V6 Member

The NVH comments might have more to do with the V6 model since there have been some negative reviewer comments on V6 harsness.

Most likely some revised engine and driveline mounts are coming. I can't see any major changes within this model year.

The V6 is the main line model and is a great value, so a couple of tweaks to keep it that way makes sense.
Old 1/9/05, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

The changes are unlikely to be anything major......It would be nice if they released the Fanblades....But that won't happen till fall.
Old 1/9/05, 11:53 AM
rex
Mach 1 Member

I think this IUP/My Color delay is a blessing in disguise...I'll take the improvements in the chassis and powertrain as a great compensation in waiting for the IUP.
Old 1/9/05, 11:56 AM
rex
Mach 1 Member

It's powertrain and chassis based...thank god for the IUP delay....Delayed cars should have these improvements.
Old 1/9/05, 12:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
You didn't post the entire article. Here it is:

Ford Motor Co. is planning upgrades to its new Mustang after just a few months on the market.

Ford product development chief Phil Martens wouldn't provide details of the changes. But he said the upgrades would improve ride and decrease noise, vibration and harshness.

"We're very aware of the shelf life of products," Martens said. "We've pulled it ahead."

He wouldn't detail the timing of any changes.

Barb Samardzich, Ford product development executive director overseeing the Mustang program, characterized the upgrades as the kind of continuous improvement that engineering teams tackle once a vehicle launch is out of the way.

Ford began selling the redesigned 2005 Mustang coupe in October. The 2005 Mustang convertible, which debuted at the Los Angeles auto show last week, goes on sale this spring.

Though he said he's pleased with the front and rear suspension on the redesigned Mustang, Martens also touted the value of independent rear suspension. The Mustang platform has a solid rear axle but was designed to accommodate an independent rear suspension module. Ford has typically used an independent rear suspension for the high-performance Mustang Cobra SVT.

He didn't rule out an eventual move to independent rear suspension for the Mustang platform.

Said Martens: "It is undecided."
It's not about immediate changes but about a change to IRS in the future.
Old 1/9/05, 12:21 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's awesome news if they end up putting IRS in a GT. I would definitely wait for that.
Old 1/9/05, 12:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree that the type of improvements they are talking about will be incorporated down the road. This looks like retooling, etc and not a short-term deal. I am sure they will make whatever changes that they can to the current model if they discover a fix is needed and it can be made. IMO its a little surprising to hear an executive this early in a new model talking about improvememnts needed but then again, don't know what prompted it -
Old 1/9/05, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

The mustang has always been fairly good about improving. My first fox body (a 1982) if you jacked it up at one corner the doors or hatch didnt fit right. My 03 cobra fox body experiences none of that flex.

The mustang has improved something almost every year since 1979. Chances are the 2007 stang will be a better car than the 2005, the 2009 better than the 2007 and so on.
Old 1/9/05, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Montrose@January 9, 2005, 12:06 PM
The Mustang platform has a solid rear axle but was designed to accommodate an independent rear suspension module.
I didn't know it was designed for it.
Old 1/9/05, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Maverstang@January 9, 2005, 12:31 PM
The NVH comments might have more to do with the V6 model since there have been some negative reviewer comments on V6 harsness.

Most likely some revised engine and driveline mounts are coming. I can't see any major changes within this model year.

The V6 is the main line model and is a great value, so a couple of tweaks to keep it that way makes sense.
I have not read any reviews of the V6 car, so I appreciate this information. I drove a few GT's, and didn't notice any harshness, other that a real nice feel - the way a car such as this should drive.

I was just a little surprised that a high ranking Ford official would make comments that could be interpreted as being less than positive, about a new car.
Old 1/9/05, 04:45 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Gawd, I hope the IRS is an option or better yet the LRA is a cost saving option

Then again I can see it now. "Wadd'ya mean a live rear axle is a 2500.00 dollar option?"
Old 1/9/05, 05:13 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well let's hope this is true and for once Ford is going to actually improve one of it's all new vehicles instead of pulling Ford's usual trick of introducing a new vehicle and then doing next to nothign to improve and then just let it die a few years later.
Old 1/9/05, 05:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds to me like it is Foprd saying that this basic chassis will be around for a while, but that it will be continually updated as needed. No real surprise here.
Old 1/9/05, 05:45 PM

I think this news is encouraging, and I hope it applies to the transmission. I've had my GT for two weeks and I'm fed up with the harshness and noise from this Tremec 5 speed. It sounds like a piece of junk. It may be built like a tank, but I don't want it sounding and feeling like one.

I'm off to the dealership tomorrow to talk to them about the transmission. I guess I'll need to get ready for the run around.
Old 1/9/05, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cars are always getting better year by year. I know I like the 05 a lot more than the 04.
Old 1/9/05, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by THRUST+January 9, 2005, 4:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (THRUST @ January 9, 2005, 4:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Montrose@January 9, 2005, 12:06 PM
The Mustang platform has a solid rear axle but was designed to accommodate an independent rear suspension module.
I didn't know it was designed for it. [/b][/quote]
Yes its basically the Lincoln LS/jaguar unibody which has a factory IRS.

Quick Reply: The angst of announcements by Ford