2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Allow me to introduce myself - Modular Depot

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/07, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say hello to everyone here at the Mustang Source. We are a new advertiser and I wanted to give everyone some background on Modular Depot.

Modular Depot started in 2003 first as a website, then as a shop in 2004. Over the years we have grown and refined the shop into one of the leading full service shops in the country. We can provide just about any service or get you any part you need. We are most well known for our dyno tuning services, but that is just the tip of the iceberg.

We are now doing full service chassis work from subframe installations to roll bars and roll cages. We also can handle any custom fabrication work from custom turbo kits or exhaust work to custom parts fabrication and prototyping. All of our engines are built by two time Engine Masters Champion, Tony Bischoff.

Modular Depot is competitively involved with racing which allows us to bring the bleeding edge of technology to you. We race in Grand-AM GS with a FR500C Mustang (one of the first five), NASA American Iron and American Iron Extreme, NMRA Drag Racing in Factory Stock, Pure Street, Real Street, Drag Radial and Outlaw. Modular Depot has 2 Factory Stock World Championships tuning Shawn Johnson's car, holds the current All-Time Factory Stock World Record (11.30@119) with Steve Gifford's car, was the first Modular powered car to win Pure Street (Victor Downs) along with countless other milestones. Our own Greg Brown is a 2 time AI and AIX champion in NASA Road Racing and our FR500C Mustang has been very competitive since 2005 in the Grand Am Koni Challenge series.

Not only can we handle just about any job but we can also assist you AFTER the work is done. Building a drag car? We are available to come to the track with you and help you maximize your new investment. How about Road Racing? We don't stop after the parts get installed. We are available for track support in Road Racing to not only help you dial the car in, but Greg Brown can takes laps with you and coach your driving.
What does all this mean to you? Modular Depot is here to share our knowledge in racing and street performance. We can offer you unmatched advice and service when you decide to make upgrades to your Mustang. We are conviently located in the Midwest which allows us to be as close to as many as you as possible. We have serviced people from Iowa to New Jersey, all the way down to Florida and Texas and throughout Canada.
We are currently revamping our website, http://www.modulardepot.com so please be sure to check back often for more products and specials, we are adding them daily!
We can get you just about any part you need but here are some of the companies we are dealers for:
Ford Racing Performance Parts
Roush [we can install the Roush blower on your car WITH a warranty]
Vortech
Procharger
Diabosport
SCT
VP Racing Fuels
Kenne Bell
Maximum Motorsports

Our in-house dyno is a Dynojet 224xLC. We have dual wideband capabilities and we only use top of the line equipment. While most dyno facilities use 'consumer' level widebands, we feature the ECM AFM-1000. It's a lab quality wideband used by many OEMs for accuracy not available with inferior units. The 224xLC also has an eddy brake which allows us to take your tune one step further with proper loading for drivability tuning and turbo cars. We can do full OBDII datalogging as well as boost reference right on your dyno graph.

With all that said, what really makes Modular Depot stand above the rest is out staff.

Ken Bjonnes
-Founder of Modular Depot
-Multiple wins and championships as tuner in the NMRA
-First Modular car in the 10's in Pure Street
-Quickest 4.6L 2VNA ever
-One of the leading tuners in the country over the last 4 years
Mike Wilson
-EFI tuning for over 10 years
-Crew Chief for NMRA Drag Radial and NMRA Outlaw cars [Team Posey]
-Builder of Zach Posey SSO car
-Modular Depot Shop manager
Greg Brown
-NASA American Iron Extreme and American Iron Championships
-Road Racing instructor
-Crew Chief for Modular Depot/Champion Grand-Am FR500C
Matt Amrine
-With Modular Depot since it's inception
-Crew Cheif for Brandon Alsept's record holding Pure Street car
-NMRA Factory Stock driver for 2008
Matt Johnson
-Long time Mustang mechanic
-NMRA Real Street Driver for 2008
-Winner on the upcoming season premier of Pinks
Nancye Hanna
-Store Manager
-05/06 Grand-Am Pit Crew
-Car enthusiast
-In the car business for 10+ years
Kelly Pelrine
-Sales Associate
-Motorsports photographer for 6+ years
-Runs her own Drag Racing series, Outlaw Street Madness

As you can see, not only do we all work in the business, but we are all involved in racing and cars outside of the daily grind. We all live Motorsports and Cars, this is our life! Thanks for taking the time to read my way-too-long intro. If we can be of any help, just let us know!!!

Ken Bjonnes
Modular Depot
Old 10/11/07, 12:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, welcome to the Forum, and thanks for the info!

Any chance of a discount for Mustang Source forum members?
Old 10/11/07, 01:03 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Let me say that we at TMS are excited to have Ken and ModularDepot as part of the site.

I've known Ken through other forums before they created MD and his knowledge and willingness to help others was way beyond what most of us receive from shops where we are paying for thier time and expertise. I followed that crew over to thier home at MD when they started it, and it quickly became one of the leading technical forums out there for the modular, as well as Mustang crowd in general.

I am glad to see them flourish into the full service shop they are now and are being extremely successful in all aspects of the motorsport community. Although I hope thier Grand-Am Cup team gets to see the TMS logo's across the back of the Rehagan Racing cars next year some more

Seriously though, I wouldnt hesitate for a second on having them work on a car of mine, not that my recommendation carries any weight
Old 10/11/07, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the kind words!

What kind of discount do other vendors offer? I open to suggestions.
Old 10/11/07, 01:20 PM

Do ya'll do mail order tunes for the 197s or strictly dyno tunes? If you have done mail order tunes for the 197s, do you have any references for those tunes. From what I have read in your introduction, you seem quite capable of performing mail order tunes and it would be nice to try someone who has a racing background first then owned a shop second. Welcome to the forum.

Underdog
Old 10/11/07, 01:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KenB
Thanks for the kind words!

What kind of discount do other vendors offer? I open to suggestions.
They usually offer 100% discounts ...
Old 10/11/07, 01:35 PM

I thought it would be "We beat their price or it is free" or "two for one". So many slogans......
Old 10/11/07, 01:41 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I was waiting for those responses
Old 10/11/07, 02:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
They usually offer 100% discounts ...

That sounds good.
Old 10/11/07, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by underdog65
Do ya'll do mail order tunes for the 197s or strictly dyno tunes? If you have done mail order tunes for the 197s, do you have any references for those tunes. From what I have read in your introduction, you seem quite capable of performing mail order tunes and it would be nice to try someone who has a racing background first then owned a shop second. Welcome to the forum.

Underdog

You guys are cracking me up! I'll work up some sort of deal for you guys though.

As far as mail order tuning, yes we have a tremendous amount of experience with mail order. We have scaled back mail order a bit over the last year. We were at a point where we didn't have the staff to properly support it so I decided to not push it as much until we were ready to support it properly. We are now at that point and are ready to take on more business.

As far as references, I suspect that if they came from me, I would only give you the good ones, lol. So I encourage you to ask around about us. We deal with a ton of people so i'm sure you will get some feedback.

One thing to remember, and part of what makes mail order tuning hard, just because the car doesn't run right, doesn't always make it the tune. I can give you 10 examples of people that tried to give us a hard time on the net about a mail order tune, I convinced them to make the trip here for me to fix it and all 10 times there was an issue with the car and not the tune. Not saying we are perfect, but you have to take mail order tune feedback with some perspective.

If there's any other questions, just ask!
Old 10/11/07, 03:17 PM
Cobra Member

Tony is an awesome engine builder. He built the engines for my uncles real street and superstreet cars. Is he still running that purple achieva?
Old 10/11/07, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I forgot to mention that we also did the original 05 Mustang Cold Air Shootout for 5.0 Magazine, so we have been the leader in 05 tuning since the beginning.

We also do some very serious build up for those interested.

In the pic above:

White 05
Was a built/stroker with F1 Procharger
Now switching to a 85mm turbo (custom turbo kit by MD)
Target is 800-1000 rwhp initially, then step it up next winter for 1200+

Silver Saleen
In the shop for a built motor/ported heads/cams
Already had a Vortech on it which is going back on

Silver 05
We did a Kenne Bell on it in the past
Doing a built motor/heads/cams/C4 tranny
Target is a mid to low 9 second car with A/C, heat etc

Ken
Old 10/11/07, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mach1fever
Tony is an awesome engine builder. He built the engines for my uncles real street and superstreet cars. Is he still running that purple achieva?
No, he has switched to running in NMRA PRO 5.0 and just won the championship!
Old 10/11/07, 03:37 PM

I have a question about tunes that maybe you can answer. How does a tuner know what settings to use for your particular car based on what mods are installed without actually dynoing the car to see what adjustments are needed? Have you or other tuners installed these mods on a mustang before and know what is required or is it a hit and miss thing? I keep hearing and reading about getting all these tunes from different dealerships and telling those dealerships what mods you have done so they can adjust the tune accordingly. I guess I don't see how the tuner knows what needs to be changed without actually doing the exact same mods on a very similar vehicle or engine and seeing what needs to be done to the tune. Do you get what I am asking?
Old 10/11/07, 05:18 PM
V6 Member

That red Mustang is really nice. I love the back half of it!
Old 10/11/07, 05:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to TMS! Now how about an grand opening special here at The Mustang Source folks ................
Old 10/11/07, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by underdog65
I have a question about tunes that maybe you can answer. How does a tuner know what settings to use for your particular car based on what mods are installed without actually dynoing the car to see what adjustments are needed? Have you or other tuners installed these mods on a mustang before and know what is required or is it a hit and miss thing? I keep hearing and reading about getting all these tunes from different dealerships and telling those dealerships what mods you have done so they can adjust the tune accordingly. I guess I don't see how the tuner knows what needs to be changed without actually doing the exact same mods on a very similar vehicle or engine and seeing what needs to be done to the tune. Do you get what I am asking?
I thought I already replied to this?!

I can't speak for other mail order tuners out there but I can tell you how I do it. We tune 5-20 cars a week on our dyno. So the amount of data I have on these cars is pretty extensive. One of the biggest challenges in mail order tuning it to get the MAF dialed in. We did the original cold air intake test for 5.0 Magazine. We did 15 intakes that day I think. It's this type of data that allows me to offer very good mail order tunes. I'm not sure how some of the mail order tuners out there pull it off when they don't tune many cars in person.

It gets more challenging when you get a request you haven't tackled before. In this case I can offer virtual dyno tuning. The customer would need a wideband and they can do some datalogging for me. We can dial the car in with the data the customer provides. Or, in some cases I will tell the customer we can't do a mail order tune for their combo, they need a dyno tune.

While I believe our mail order tunes are some of the best out there, I do believe there's a benefit to bringing it to us. Remember we are dealing with cars that are $20k - $60k. Is it really out of the question to take a road trip to get it done the best it can be on the dyno? It just really depends on your combo and how much you expect out of it.

Ken
Old 10/11/07, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Welcome to TMS!

And how much to put hips on my GT like the red Kenny Brown?
Old 10/11/07, 06:33 PM

Welcome Ken! Thanks for all the info. Hope to do business with you someday.
Old 10/11/07, 06:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Man, why can't I get a shop like your's somewhere close to me?

Quick Reply: Allow me to introduce myself - Modular Depot