2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

ALL THOSE BUYING OFF LOTS, PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/05, 08:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey now there is a most excellent idea ! they can takes time But this is what I will do if I see x amount of milage or in CanadA kilometers on it. I'm working on an airfair to pick it up and I'll be happy camper !
Old 3/26/05, 06:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in full agreement with jrscobra. I too work at a Ford dealer. Have been their for 8 years. I never see ANY abuse of a car at my dealership. We don't have any college kids moving our cars. Us salesman move the lot around, when we aren't busy. For the service department, we have a few retired gentlemen who want to keep themselves busy. Since we haven't had ANY GT's for stock this year (all were preordered), there weren't any worries with test drives. But if one did come in, the salesperson HAS TO GO!!! No exceptions. If the customer has 4 people in his party, one has to stay behind. There will be NO TRASHING THIS CAR.

We are finally going to get a stock GT very soon , and the drives will be VERY LIMITED. NO JOY RIDERS. We are doing this to keep the mileage down, and to reserve the car for the future owner. I do believe this goes on, and it is a real shame . The establishments that are being recognized about vehicle abuse should know better :nono: .
Old 3/26/05, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by John SCB@March 25, 2005, 12:25 PM
I can entirely see this as really happening out there. In fact, it's happened to me while I was having work done my BMW several years ago. The lot monkey didn't realize I was scoping the shop out (in another car) to see how they were doing. The guy takes it out for a 'test run' and was thrashing it...i mean burnouts, hard turns and brutally-hard braking!! Boy was I pissed!! I followed him back to the shop, and ripped him a new one. The shop bays cleared (like a dugout bench) with guys coming out ready to take me down. The manager totally understood my position and sent the guy home...no questions asked. He then took 10% off my service ticket but the damage was done...never went back there again .
Ten percent? :notnice: They should have given you that service for free. Would have if you had video. I would find myself an ambitious young local journalist and have them do an undercover story, or at least call the BBB.
Old 3/26/05, 09:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember when I was younger. My buddy worked at the local Chevy dealer. Needless to say, he had some covervettes that he was supposed to take to the gas station to fill up. Well, he had a habit to pick up some friends and one time he had it up to 88 mph on our neighborhood streets.

I know it happens. Maybe not at all dealers, but it does.

I ordered mine. It had 4 miles on it when I picked her up.
Old 3/26/05, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Personally, I don't really consider it abuse to drive a fast car fast.

When I test drove a GT I got on it pretty good, but I didn't do burnouts or powershift. I even broke the speed limit by a good 20 mph, with the salesman sitting right next to me. However, he took me out of the city so I could get some speed, run through the gears, and not have to worry about other cars or cops.

I don't think he considered what I did to be abuse, and neither did I.
I ordered a GT from the same dealer.
Old 3/26/05, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

My dealer was very cautious with who got a test drive, they made sure you were a buyer and not a nut case who wanted to trash a new car. They had to also have some figures on paper showing they were serious about buying the car. I could of ordered a car but would I have it yet. The dealer mine came from wouldnt even order cars. All sales were cars they ordered. Once you find the color you want a loaded GT is a loaded GT.
Old 3/26/05, 11:41 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

11 miles on mine - I bought it right off the truck. However if they do break it messing around - its warrantied.
I worry more about sending a car in for service .... thats when your really vunerable to this kind of abuse since you already own the car at that point..
Old 3/27/05, 06:52 AM
GT Member

SAD :notnice:
Old 3/27/05, 07:00 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by holderca1@March 25, 2005, 7:54 PM
My mustang had over a hundred miles on it when I took delivery. But considering the dealership I bought it from was over a hundred miles away, I was okay with it.

Same thing happened to me on the 05 GT that I baught yesterday. It was originally shipped to a dealer across the state and traded to this dealership I baught from. It had 170 miles on it when I took delivery. I was a little questionable about it, but they insist they have a service they pay older couples like 8$/hr to drive cars to other dealerships. I made sure to check with the other dealership though just to get it straight and make sure some kid didn't take it on a joyride or something like that.

I'll be sure to buy the extended warranty though in a year or 2.
Old 3/27/05, 07:09 AM
Cobra Member

I purchased mine off the lot, I think it had 11 miles on it.
I live by the dealership that I bought it from and the road I live off of is their test road, and I have never seen anyone "*******" any of the cars.
The gas station they fill up their cars with are with in sight so I watched the guy drive it to and from as well. No worries.
Old 3/27/05, 07:14 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by kevinv-6@March 27, 2005, 9:12 AM
I purchased mine off the lot, I think it had 11 miles on it.
I live by the dealership that I bought it from and the road I live off of is their test road, and I have never seen anyone "*******" any of the cars.
The gas station they fill up their cars with are with in sight so I watched the guy drive it to and from as well. No worries.

I'm usually really **** about who drives my car, but like people have already mentioned so many people get the hands on the car before it even gets to the dealership and theres nothing that can really be done about it. The car I baught was a showroom car, so I imagine it probably wasn't test driven much, if any.
Old 3/27/05, 08:09 AM
FR500 Member

actually i did a test drive a few weeks ago. the salesman really showed me what the car can do. then he let me take over and i didnt go nuts i just gave it some speed and some revvs. it was convincing enough that i definitely an thankful i ordered the car
Old 3/27/05, 08:47 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@March 25, 2005, 10:55 AM
Not surprised either, but what you makes you think ordering your car will eliminate this? It won't.

There are a lot of hands touching "your" car before it ever makes it to the dealership. In and out of holding lots, railcars...etc.
Old 3/27/05, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs down

Originally posted by PerfWhite05+March 27, 2005, 11:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PerfWhite05 @ March 27, 2005, 11:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SixtySix@March 25, 2005, 10:55 AM
Not surprised either, but what you makes you think ordering your car will eliminate this? It won't.

There are a lot of hands touching "your" car before it ever makes it to the dealership. In and out of holding lots, railcars...etc.

[/b][/quote]

As I said before, that doesn't mean that since you can't control one portion of the delivery process that you shouldn't control the part you CAN, and that is when it hits the lots and the car is most vulnerable to being abused, as a dealer plate gives it free reign over the roads.

As for Horseowner, I really disagree with your first post. What you did was fraud, plain and simple. You lied to the gentleman and defrauded him out of over $30k. You say warranties are a beautiful thing, but what if something breaks because of the abuse after the warranty expires? Your service shop makes MORE cash, that's what happens.

I also find your attitude of "what they don't know won't hurt them" dispicable. It's more like "we didn't tell them so they don't know they're being hurt."

Sounds to me like you just don't want people knowing how badly these cars are abused so your bottom line isn't affected. Well maybe, just maybe, if you had an actual screening/testing process for those driving these $30k - $70k vehicles and paid them a little more than the minimum wage, this wouldn't happen. Maybe you wouldn't have customers destroying your new cars if you had a salesman in the car with them in the passenger seat, rather than letting all four of them go on a joyride in hopes that your good faith will make you a sale. There's no excuse not to have a competent and reasonable salesman in the car. You just want to sell the car and will do whatever you think it takes to make the sale. You're seeing dollar signs, and that's all you're seeing.
Old 3/27/05, 10:52 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm not sure if any of you guys frequented the SVT forum but I remember this one thread...

A Ford tech made a post about how he got to "break in" a customers Cobra that was brought into the shop for repairs. Apparently he did burn outs, several high RPM clutch drops, and took the car to 130+ on the freeway. This kid wasn't the brightest as he posted the persons personalized license plate which he thought was cocky. The funny part is that the owner of the car was a member of the SVT forum and read this morons post. The owner of the car printed out the thread, took it to the Ford dealership, and they fired the "tech" on the spot.

Dealerships need to crack down on this kind of stuff.
Old 3/29/05, 06:18 PM
V6 Member

It happens then and now. I was once a salesman and the first stock units of a "HOT" model used to get thoroughly "bagged" by management and sales people. Factory orders were generally immune to this sort of abuse. I guess nothing has changed in the car business!
Old 4/25/05, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

When I first test drove a GT the only one on the lot had already been sold. The customer was picking it up several days later. The salesman took me for a test drive in it anyway. He drove responsibly till we got out on the bypass. Then he lit the tires and got it up to around 100. All the salesmen kept telling me how much "fun" the car was. No telling how many of them had done the same thing to this car.
Old 4/25/05, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Anytime I have taken a vehicle back to the dealership for warranty work or other, I note the mileage on both the odometer and tripometer. If there are more than a few 10ths of a mile logged upon return, I ask the service manager for an explanation. Only had to do that once and the reason was ligit. A friend of mine took his Jeep CJ in for some work and what did he see at the local BK during lunch but his CJ and two "kids" at the controls. Needless to say, he followed them back to the dealership and had it out with both the service manager and the owner. He did not keep the Jeep CJ long after that. :bang:

Is all comes down to people respecting other people's property. Unfortunately, it seems to be lessening as the years go by. :scratch: :notnice:

EK
Old 4/25/05, 06:21 AM
GT Member

I warned the salesman.....NO TEST DRIVES WITH MY CAR! (ordered X-plan). It had 2.6 miles on it when I picked it up. Only driven off the truck, and to the shop for state inspection and prep.

Quick Reply: ALL THOSE BUYING OFF LOTS, PLEASE READ!