Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket billet gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/04, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it.

but i would make it get rid of the stripes, and make the light only around the pony. And maybe put Ford Mustang on the top and bottom if you get permission.

Just My Opinion.

I would problably buy one either way to replace the GT logo.
Old 7/26/04, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm your product has potential especially if it's high quality detailed work. At this point I am not sure if I would change the factory stock part. Then again if yours made to look just like factory only better I just might...Back lighting would be best restricted to braking. It would definitely be an attention grabber.
Old 7/26/04, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by vwAirCooled+July 26, 2004, 8:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vwAirCooled @ July 26, 2004, 8:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cwhite94@July 26, 2004, 7:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. It's always good to get a lot of differing opinions, and you guys have some pretty good ides. Here are just a few more specs to what we have so far.

1. The body is 6061 aluminum, machined or polished finish.
2. the trim ring around the lense is brushed stainless.
3. The LED was mean't to be wired into the running light where you can see the running horse at night.
4. The logo would be purchased as is to avoid copy write problems, and we could either sell it to you or give you the option of buying your own.
5. Alot of different emblems could be offered icluding a cobra, get the idea.
6. The product can also be offered without the Led if you like, could be an option.

Anyway, just a little more info for you. Here is a different pic.
My sister has a new model vw beetle. I will take a pic of what they did with the rear emblem and post here tomorrow for you to see. it basically twists up to reveal the keyhole, but you cant tell that there is a keyhole otherwise. I wish they did this with the mustang emblem. If you added this to your design I would get it. [/b][/quote]
Lincoln did this with the Mark VI in the 80's B)
Old 7/27/04, 01:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by crawFord Mustang@July 26, 2004, 9:09 PM
I think it looks good. Although, I don't mind the stock one(s).

One thing I noticed about your new design, is that the emblem part could easily be stolen using Mr. Allen wrench. Unless you are planning to make most of your sales from replacement inserts, you may need to use a different method of fastening. Maybe somehow from the back?
maybe the stock one could be retro fited with a red trans parent lens with an led light behind it.I wonder how hard it is to remove that piece.cut out the center piece replace it with the lens , wire a light , cut out the Gt letters to go over the lens or buy a mustang emblem to fit. I'll give it a go if the piece is easily removable.
Old 7/27/04, 01:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

I like it. Although in my opinion you guys should design a few different versions of it with the different emblems and even the concept's mustang emblem too.
Old 7/27/04, 03:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

It looks nice enough. I'm no fan of the LED stuff though (and I'm 19, go figure). I'm interested to hear how you'd address the glaring obstacle of the keyhole. The prototype doesn't look like it flips up or spins, so what will be done so people who don't get electronic-remote-open-everything can open their trunks from the outside?
Old 7/27/04, 06:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Was also thinking the same thing: get a V6 unit to replace the GT one. Looks a lot better imho. But a cool aftermarket one is a great idea too because what I would really like is something based on the new pony design as featured on the prototypes. I don't understand why Ford has deleted that from the production car, it would have made a bold statement: this is a whole new pony.

So why not make it all aluminum and just leave out the lines of the new style pony? I guess that would look really awesome. You can even backlight the pony that way.

And maybe by altering that pony design just a bit here and there (it can actually use some improvements) you might not even have a clearance issue as it would be your own design.

Another tip: make a replacement pony in the same style for the grill and sell them as a set
Old 7/27/04, 06:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

How about making the chrome tail light surrounds that have been pictured here? Also the retro '65 grille with horse and bars!! That would be great!!! Good luck and keep the ideas coming. Your cap looks great-high quality.
Old 7/27/04, 06:55 AM
GT Member

Very good ideas! Flip open version for access to keyhole is essential. Definitely make different designs - classic and concept.
Old 7/27/04, 10:14 AM

Thanks everyone for all of the input. One of our main objectives in designing the part was to get rid of the visible keyhole. We initally looked at some ideas where the key could still be accessed but decided at least initally to try and keep the part as simple as possible and therefore as cheap to make as possible. I can honestly say that I can't count on one hand the number of times I have used a key to unlock my trunk over the past ten years of owning Mustangs but I can understand the concern. In the event of a battery failure, the owner could open the door with the key, let down the rear seats and pull the emergency release handle to open the trunk. Now, this obviously would not be easy so we are thinking along the lines of also offering an extension to the current release or a longer cable replacment to make it a bit easier. Thanks again for the input.
Old 7/27/04, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Get rid of the semi-circular cutouts around the diameter. Too hard to wax, clean out wax.

Other than that, it looks pretty good.
Old 7/27/04, 05:31 PM
GT Member

Here is a pic of my sisters VW beetle rear cap. It twists counter clockwise to reveal the keyhole to open trunk. I would buy a Mustang cap that was similar since its a much cleaner look to me.
Old 7/27/04, 05:42 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cars USED to have those rotating covers on the back.
But people have a tendancy to rip them off

Just like the front ponies on mustangs
grrrr
Old 7/27/04, 05:54 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Boomer@July 27, 2004, 5:45 PM
Cars USED to have those rotating covers on the back.
But people have a tendancy to rip them off

Just like the front ponies on mustangs
grrrr
Yeah, I remeber people used to steal mercedes emblems, the galloping ponies etc etc...

But I think that since they have not been around in a while, many people wouldnt even know that they twist, and therefore not steal them.
Old 7/27/04, 06:40 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I am sure they would figure out quickly about the rear emblem on the new Mustangs..

A good thing to point out,

unlike the 94-04 Mustangs, the horse is housed in a recess in the grille, so other than smashing the entire grille, the scumbag will have a tough time stealing the horse.

If there is one thing I hate, its punks who vandalize cars
Old 7/27/04, 07:23 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
agreed

2 rules in life

You don't mow another mans lawn
and
you don't touch another mans car
Old 7/27/04, 09:30 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Boomer@July 27, 2004, 9:26 PM
You don't mow another mans lawn
If he does a good job and isn't flirting with the man's wife....eh, it frees up a Saturday no?