Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Front Lower Control Arm, GT500 Brakes & Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/07, 08:20 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjustable Front Lower Control Arm, GT500 Brakes & Wheel Spacers

Here's what I want to do. I would like to install the GT500 Brembo calipers that I have sitting in my basement.

However, to fit them properly with my stock 18" Bullitt rims, I would need a full 1" spacer. The problem is that I can't use a spacer that large because of the 3" drop that I currently have with my Eibach Pro Stree-S coilovers. A spacer that large would locate the tire less that 1/8" from the fender lip. Mind you, the overall tire heigh is actually taller than the height of the fender, so the top of the tire actually sites higher than the opening of the fender.

Trying to conjure up a solution, it occurred to me that if they made a shorter front lower control arm, that it would move the entire wheel assembly inboard, and potentialy allow me to install a 1" wheel spacer. Surely enought, BMR makes an adjustable front lower control arm.

I already have Maximum Motorsports camber/caster plates. The coilovers also have an oversized upper strut mount hole that permits a wide range of caster adjustment. I also have Steeda's bump steer kit to correct extreme toe angle.

Would BMRs adjustable front lower control arm solve my problem?

Please respect that I do not have any intention of altering the ride height or swapping out the rims. So that is not a solution.

Old 11/10/07, 08:20 PM
whs
GT Member

Some people frown upon using spacers, personally I wouldn't use them. Contact BMR and ask them if the control arms have enough adjustment built into them to work in your application.
Old 11/11/07, 07:57 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by whs
Some people frown upon using spacers, personally I wouldn't use them. Contact BMR and ask them if the control arms have enough adjustment built into them to work in your application.
As it applies to my situation, spacers are non-negotiable. The whole reason for putting them on is to fit the brakes, and to fit the spacers, I need more clearance for the wheel.
Old 11/11/07, 09:51 PM
V6 Member

What you're planning on doing will throw your alignment and your ackerman geometry way out of whack. The spacers will widen the front track, and even if you manage to get it back into line with the adjustable control arms, you're going to jack up your camber curves, roll center, and just about everything else that relies on your control arms being stock length

The icing on the cake is what's going to happen to your camber. By dragging in the bottom of your spindle you're going to push the wheels into positive camber, unless you can bring the upper shock mount in an equal amount to balance out the change, you'll actually lose braking grip and defeat the purpose for this project in the first place. That's not even mentioning the adverse affects on handling. Odds are, depending on how big of a spacer you're going to need to clear that excessive drop, you won't have enough room up top to correct the alignment without hacking into your strut tower.

Your steering, braking, and overall grip will suffer. Just buy larger wheels.

~Mike~
Old 11/12/07, 06:57 PM
Cobra Member

You are on the wrong trail. Wake up. I agree with Mike above. Bite the bullit and do the job right ... 18" wheels or sell us your brakes.