2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accelerator Pedal Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/20, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accelerator Pedal Wiring

Hello everyone, I've recently purchased my first mustang at a Repo auction in California, San Diego vehicle. The car does not turn over, all lights come on including engine light, security light.. so communication is there. I'm looking everywhere for a possible kill switch but no luck yet. I replaced the master slave cylidner since in my ownership, new coils, plugs, belts, basic things.

I've check grounds and fuses but still cannot get it to turn over. Everytime I try to turn on the vehcile, i head a click on the right passenger side. I have checked starter grounds and power cables, all looks good.
I have yet to finish diagnosing. I did find a red cable on the driver footwell that leads me to the accelerator pedal. The wire is a solid red with a grey line on it.

Would anyone k ow what that cable is for? The cable is cut in half and almost looks like it was spliced to something before.

Followed to this conenctor

Found this wire to be free and exposed as such, on the left side of the footwell by the fuel cut off switch. Followed to the accelerator pedal.
Old 9/15/20, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Still lookin'. Redid this post because I rambled then I saw the 'to this connector' line. Sneaky.

---

Ok, so there's this:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Electron...204.6L.pdf&p=3

If it's the RD/LG (light green) wire, then it's one of the throttle position sensor wires. *Probably* putting it back together will solve the problem. I'm unsure why it'd be cut in the first place, it's supposedly going straight from the pedal to the PCM in the engine bay. Very weird.

I did find a RD/LB (light blue) wire going to the clutch pedal position sensor...
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Electron...204.6L.pdf&p=5

But given what you say about the 'where's, I'm pretty sure that's not it.

I can't find anything else easily that's a RD/LB or /LG or /GY wire on the engine, starter, or speed control wiring... But I bet if you put 'em together, magic happens...? Also, you can see on the left side of those pages all the wiring diagrams thereto, so you can have a look-see yourself. Maybe you find it there.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by houtex; 9/15/20 at 10:34 AM.
Old 9/15/20, 03:06 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Try pushing in the BIG RED BUTTON next to the drivers feet.
I was installing sound deading in my car and when putting everything back together my car wouldnt turn over. I looked everywhere until I read a post about that button.
Pushed it and it started.. could be worth a try.
Old 9/23/20, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I've continued to mess with this and decided to power probe the starter from the fuse box in the engine bay. It cranks but i dont hear the fuel pumps kick in. So I power probed that and I could hear the whining sound. I dont think I'm getting spark or fuel,, as there is no 12v on the coils/injectors.

Any one had this problem before? It's a **** show car
Old 9/24/20, 08:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
That's starting to sound like a computer. No 12V on either side of the coil/injector connectors is definitely not right with key on, engine turning, as they get grounded by the computer when needed to fire/spray.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Electron...04.6L.pdf&p=10
Notice the PCM turns on the relay, the relay feeds the 8 coils (and the two capacitors at the front of the engine for radio noise suppression, but that's not important) and then through the relays and back to the PCM. The PCM grounds the coils individually as needed to fire them off. Therefore if they aren't getting power, there's either a fuse/circuit breaker blown, a relay that's out, wiring is bad, or the PCM is bad.
Ditto the fuel injectors:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Electron...204.6L.pdf&p=2
(which, btw, also runs the fuel pump on that power line, start at the 'L' at the top: http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Electron...204.6L.pdf&p=8)

However, you said it's not even turning, right? So.. yeah. Startin' to sound like a computer at this point...

But one thing's for sure... you might wanna check out Eric O's videos on these matters. Proper diagnostics can be... fun. Here's one about a Tahoe:

BUT... there's plenty more 'no crank/no start' videos to look at on his channel alone. And then others. The point being, proper diagnosis is now in need, and you can find that in the shop manual. The links above can be used to find the diagnostics, but there's an order problem with those, they jump about. It may be that you need to get the shop manual on CD or print so you can properly diagnose this, or take it to a shop and pay to have it done.

I am not discouraging you. I'm in fact encouraging you to get the proper tools and knowledge in your hands, or if you can't/won't, then it's probably time to hand it off. We're not going to be great at this from afar, and if nobody's given you the right answer after a week and a half, your new reply notwithstanding, it's not likely we're going to strike gold for ya.

That said, don't not post/ask questions! We'll try our best for ya!