2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Acadian's "Shelby" (GT350 tribute) is up for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/05, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of luck Ian...i would buy a raffle. I know what your going threw. I had to do the same thing with my car after 911. It will work out just be patient. Good luck
Old 10/11/05, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the usual rule of thumb is book value + 1/2 cost of upgrades is the best you can hope for. Below is an example of the NADA estimate which might vary slightly depending on the area of the country. Good luck and think that maybe the next one will be a boss or mach? Fates sometimes move in mysterious ways. Good luck!

Average Trade-In Average Retail
Base Price

$23,525 $26,675

Mileage

15000 miles $175 $175

Options

Leather Seats $500 $575
Power Seat (V6) $225 $250
Shaker Stereo System $350 $400
Theft Recovery System $100 $125

TOTAL PRICE $24,875 $28,200
Old 10/11/05, 09:24 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by acadian@October 11, 2005, 7:42 AM
I can't thank you all enough for your kind words. I had to let my wife read all the posts this morning... and she said, "now I know, and completely understand why you are on here all the time!" Someone said the people are what make this place... and I couldn't agree more.

As far as a raffle, I like the idea... because it may be the only way for me to get what I really want, and need, for my car. It's not like I'm selling it because I'm bored and want something new. If I was, I could see losing some on the deal. But, I actually need to sell it... so I'd like to lose as little as possible. The bad things I see about a raffle are 1... not getting enough people in on it to make the money (I wouldn't want to charge more than $30 for a ticket and that's close to a thousand people) and 2... what if Joe Shmoe (maybe even a Chevy guy) gets lucky and wins the car? If I sell it myself, I make sure the buyer is a true Mustang enthusiast and will take care of her the way I would. That's like giving your child up for adoption and not knowing the parents. But, if I make sure to only post the raffle in Mustang forums... one of my own will get the car, and I can sleep at night.
The people are what make this place, and you are one of those people, so we will all appreciate it if you hang around. Car or not, you're just as cool.

As for the raffle, is it legal to do a for-profit raffle? Also, is it legal to do something like place a "reserve" (kinda like ebay) where you don't sell the car unless you get enough tickets sold? I'm assuming you would refund the tickets that are sold if you don't get enough then Are there any lawyers on the board that would know? Perhaps you could have a 3rd party, perhaps a lawyer or some such, I dunno, do the sales and money collection so that people wouldn't worry that you're going to keep their money regardless. Mind you, I wouldn't mind sending you my money, and I bet many on this board wouldn't be worried about it, but it might help encourage more people to be willing to buy a ticket. This is all just theory on my part, as I don't actually know a thing about it, but wish I could help.
Old 10/11/05, 09:52 AM
FR500 Member

I completely agree on a third party. I am as trustworthy as they come, but I would not feel comfortable doing this on my own. There would be issues there where I would be worried if people thought I am scamming them or trying to make a profit on the car (which I am not). There is also the issue of picking the winner. I don't think I'd be comfortable doing that either. I'm not familiar with raffles at all... so maybe there are people here who are and can give me more info and ideas. But there would definitely need to be a third party.

As far as what if I don't sell but a few hundred tickets and I get screwed on the deal? Of course, I'd need some sort of protection. I'd just like to hear from others, (maybe rrobello)who have experience with raffles, on how many tickets are usually sold... to get an idea of what I'd be looking at. If I get enough "proof" that this is possible, I would be up for it. But the idea of hundreds of people giving $30 at the chance to win a car, and then having to send it back after all this, just isn't a good one.

Then there is the other side of the fence... what if I sell over what I want for the car? There's no way I want to make a profit. And you need a third party to take whatever is left over and give it to a charity. Preferrably for Katrina relief, since she was the cause of my own troubles and why I am forced to now sell my car.
Old 10/11/05, 10:06 AM
V6 Member

Sorry to hear you have to sell your car. She's a 'beut.

This isn't legal council, but a thought I had was that you have a stipulation on buying a ticket that if 'enough' weren't sold, the money would all be given to the Red Cross (or some other specified in advance charity). Not sure how to define 'enough'. It is a fine line between recovering costs of the raffled item and making a profit. In fact, I've never known of a raffle where the item wasn't donated and 100% of the proceeds go to charity. Clearly you've got to find out all the legalities so you don't end up worse off for trying to do something good.
Old 10/11/05, 10:24 AM
Cobra Member

I am really srry to hear about your misfortune but family always comes first. As much as we all love our cars, they are just that, cars. They can be replaced but taking care of family and kids is a precious gift. Good Luck.

As for a raffle, I have been involved in several. 1st check your local town/county. A lot of them treat is as a form of gambling and unless it is for charity , illegal. We did a charity one on several occasions with a stipulation that only X number of tickets would be sold and a minimum of Y number of tickets had to be sold otherwise it would be a 50/50 with half to winner and the other half to the charity.
Old 10/11/05, 10:46 AM
FR500 Member

Thank you all for your kind words. It means a lot to me. And I know you all know what I am going through here.

Bradley, I agree with you on the stipulation of giving all the money to charity if a set number of tickets were not sold. That's a good idea. I don't see why the tickets wouldn't sell though. If someone else was doing this... knowing that I'd have a chance to win a Mustang and at the very least help a charity... I'd buy a couple tickets myself. Even being in the situation that I'm in now personally. And with there being almost 10,000 members of TMS alone, I don't see why I couldn't get a tenth of them to buy a ticket. That's not including the gambling types who'll want to increase their odds by buying more than one. Also not including other forums I could post at, and of course just word of mouth. Maybe Mark (AFBLUE), our resident statistician can run some numbers on who would buy a ticket.

Ed, you bring up a good point about checking my local laws. But, since this would be done by a third party, could it not be done by someone in another state where this is legal and perhaps more commonplace? Sure, the car is registered to me here. But, the actual raffle would be taking place somewhere else.
Old 10/11/05, 03:21 PM
V6 Member

I think the raffle is a good idea. I know awhile back a radio station around here was advertising that you could buy a $100 ticket to win a Harley but they would only sell a certain number of tickets.

I think you could do the same thing. Advertise it that you're selling tickets for $100 each and that you will sell a MAXIMUM of 350 tickets. That was a HUGE selling point on the one I saw. Heck, for a hundred bucks I'd be willing to take a 1 in 350 shot of winning a $35,000 car. Then just add in the stipulation that if all 350 tickets aren't sold, the money will be returned (or donated to charity).

And I'm definitely sorry to hear about your situation. To let you know though, things might just work out in the end. I didn't have to survive a hurricane, but I did have to put my hopes of buying on '05 on hold at the beginning of the year when we bought a new house and then had a baby in June. It's definily worth it though ) And now things have settled down a little, so we're looking again at ordering. I can see the same thing working out for you!
Old 10/11/05, 03:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I would be willing to buy a ticket as well. My prayers are with you and your family as well during this time. Hopefully, in a short time you will be able to get a new Stang ... maybe an SE.
Old 10/11/05, 03:43 PM
V6 Member

Acadian, I am so sorry to hear your story. I wish I could buy her today...she is beautiful. I hope mine will look that good once I start on the mods. I will say that if you do raffle her off I would buy a ticket or two. I live in the Baton Rouge area, and I am sure I could find a few other people who would also buy one. Just let me know. Good luck B)
Old 10/11/05, 03:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Welcome to the board Tammijoe! I hope you made it through Katrina with the minimum damage.

Old 10/11/05, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Way to step up and do the right thing for your new child. Best of luck to you, just make sure you let your kid know how much they mean to you.
Old 10/11/05, 07:25 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by acadian@October 10, 2005, 12:21 PM
I appreciate everyone's comments and concerns. Well, almost everyone's. It certainly is a sad day for me. What can I say though? Hurricanes are a you-know-what. Whenever I do get a new Mustang, whether it be a new one in a couple years, or an old fox body or '66 fastback to fix up, I'm going to name her Katrina. <_<
sorry to see it go, you should stick around the forums even though you're selling, heck most of us dont even have mustangs and we're here.
Old 10/11/05, 07:39 PM
Cobra Member

Man Ian, I was having a good day until now...I'm not one to tear up, but this thread is not an easy one to get through without that occuring. I don't have the word's to describe how heart wrenching your situation is. You are the only one that I know that was in the huricane wrecked region and it really drive's home what a disaster this is and will continue to be for a long time...If I had the extra money I would buy her for you and store it till you could get her back. I can tell you this much, if this raffle thing work's out I will buy a few ticket's and were luck to favor me I will crate her up for you. I will miss you Ian. Take care of yourself and your family. I hope nothing but good fortune find's your way.
Old 10/11/05, 08:34 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ian,I sold my car by listing it in auto trader(INTERNET).the ad was in 1 day and I sold it that night .then before I could cancel the ad,I had about 30 messages on my machine for it.Good luck and don't be a stranger! p.s. Better practice that diaper thing!!
Old 10/11/05, 09:43 PM
GT Member

Acadian,

I don't know you from TMS but I thought I'd post..

My wife and I do fundraisers for epilepsy research (my son has uncontrolled seizures) and we've raffled off some pretty hefty items. What we've done is if we got something that cost let's say 5K (Plasma screen TV), and the amount of tickets sold doesn't reach that mark, we make it a 50-50 raffle (we openly tell people BEFORE they buy a ticket that this is the case). That way you don't have to worry about refunding the money. You draw a name and that person win's 50% of whats in the pot. What you do with the other 50% is well... something you'd have to figure out. For us, it went to the charity we are involved with. Just an idea. PM me if you want more info.

And hope things work out for you. Really... thngs have a way of balancing out in the long run..Keep your head up!
Old 10/11/05, 10:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

I would gladly buy a ticket! At the same time its heart breaking because this is my absolute favorite Stang on this site or any where. Sorry to see you lose it.
Old 10/12/05, 07:50 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm glad my raffle ticket idea is getting so much play here. I think it may work for you Ian. I would buy a ticket.

I would consider moving to another area if your work situation does not get better though.

I doubt that you would want to move to the snow belt though.
Old 10/12/05, 08:10 AM
FR500 Member

You all (or how we say down here in Louisiana "ya'll") are something special. I have my little habit now of checking this post every few hours, reading the comments and tearing up a bit myself. I can tell that all of you, whether it be the ones that have followed me from the beginning, when I was one of the first to order and receive an '05, or the "newbies" that are seeing my car as it is now, can tell how much I love my baby. But, this will be my first child... as it is my first wife and will be my first home... and some things in life are more important than your ride (as few and far between as they may be ). And Justin, I appreciate what you said you'd do, bro. That means a lot. If I wasn't meant to have this car though, I just hope that somebody gets her, treats her right and is as happy with her as I was.
Old 10/12/05, 08:36 AM
V6 Member

Acadian, I must say since I joined this forum yesterday all I want to do is read this thread. There are so many nice people on here, I had been reading other forums but this one seems to be the best. I live in Baton Rouge, La. and we didn't have to much damage, just alot of trees blown down. My mom lived in GulfPort Ms. and it was a mess and a half down there. She moved to Tunica Ms. until they rebulid on the gulf coast. I must say I get chills everytime I read a new message on this thread. I really hate that you have to get rid of your car, but I understand. I want to say again that if you do raffle her off I am sure I will buy a few tickets, and I use to work for a Ford dealership and I can call them up and get a few more sold. So hopefully someone that loves Mustangs like us will win her. Good Luck!! and Best Wishes!!!

Quick Reply: Acadian's "Shelby" (GT350 tribute) is up for sale