2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

62,170 mile maintanence Ford dealer rip-off

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/12, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is one of the primary reasons I left the dealership and went back to school for my engineering degree.

This doesn't come from the advisors, it's a management - level thing designed to boost profits. In some cases it's not a bad idea, but in most it's unneeded and in some the work never gets done. Ask me how I know that last bit.

Unless you've never done anything to this vehicle, tell them to stick it.
Old 2/11/12, 12:50 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dread53
Here is one of the primary reasons I left the dealership and went back to school for my engineering degree.

This doesn't come from the advisors, it's a management - level thing designed to boost profits. In some cases it's not a bad idea, but in most it's unneeded and in some the work never gets done. Ask me how I know that last bit.

Unless you've never done anything to this vehicle, tell them to stick it.
How does an engineering degree tell you when a car should be serviced?
Old 2/11/12, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the fuel filter, spark plugs and air cleaner yourself for under $100. Go to Royal Purple engine oil and filter for another $70 and maybe $150 for the oil and pump to swap the trans fluid. I am at 112k on the same coolant and though I will be doing it soon, they claim it is good for 100K. Plugs I do every year, 5143 Autolites, run you about $10 and an hours time, drop in a K&N filter for $50, fuel filter $20 and 30 minutes on jack stands taking your time.
Dealershhip is smokin crack...

Last edited by Womprat; 2/11/12 at 01:34 PM.
Old 2/11/12, 02:20 PM
GT Member

Smile

I've been away from this Forum for awhile, and now I know why. As a Ford dealership parts person, I'm sick and tired of having to defend the position of a dealership. Nobody wants to do any of the recommended services til their car takes a **** on them, and THEN they decide it's the dealer's fault for not finding it in time, or ignoring it when it was in for service last, whatever excuse they dream up. Granted, these services DO provide a better bottom line to the dealership, but they are also a valid service to the customer. We have countless customers in our store who are dedicated to taking care of their cars, and that know that 98% of the shadetrees don't have the training, tools, and general know-how to repair and service their vehicles properly. I would think that Mustang owners are a cut above the average car owner when it came to service, but the more I read from the Internet commandos, I'm not so sure. Transmission flushes and coolant flushes are vastly superior to drain and refills, and they DO cost more. The equipment is exhorbitantly expensive to buy and maintain. Plus, technicians aren't there just to do underpaid warranty work, they are there to make a living. How many of you work for free, anyway? As to the original poster of this thread regarding the 60,000 mile service of their Mustang, I read your list, and the services are a valid choice. Either do them, or don't do them, it's your CHOICE, and the dealership doesn't cut off your fingers or send you to Afghanistan if you don't. However, don't come crying to them at 100,000 miles if you start having trans and cooling system issues, or your injectors and top end are carboned up. They costs then will be WAY more than the 60,000 recommended service. As the technicians always say, "pay me now, or pay me more later".
Old 2/11/12, 02:30 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Well mark.. as a Ford technition I say several of the services that were offered to him are not needed yet. Even the Ford maintenance guide says they are early. So I must disagree with him needing all this.
Old 2/11/12, 03:04 PM
GT Member

the oil change and filter part if it hasnt been done.

Fuel filter is a good idea if its never been done but not a necessity.

The rest is just utter bull ****.
Old 2/11/12, 03:06 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
the oil change and filter part if it hasnt been done.

Fuel filter is a good idea if its never been done but not a necessity.

The rest is just utter bull ****.
And who made you super tech?
Old 2/11/12, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Dropping the trans pan and swapping the filter beats a flush, you would not want to stir up metal particulate and you get to see how the trans is doing. And to pay a grand for 400 worth of time and materials, really, good God!
Have the techs I have seen at the local stealership cant diagnose to save their life and if it isnt on a computer is doesnt exist, hate to burst yer bubble but cmon man, really?!
And I love the internet commando comment, most people here know more about mechanics than dealership techs. Ive personally owned over 30 cars, restored more than a few and been wrenching for 25+ years, hardly "armchair" Learn your audience before you flame them.

Last edited by Womprat; 2/11/12 at 03:14 PM.
Old 2/11/12, 03:16 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Womprat
Dropping the trans pan and swapping the filter beats a flush, you would not want to stir up metal particulate and you get to see how the trans is doing. And to pay a grand for 400 worth of time and materials, really, good God!
Have the techs I have seen at the local stealership cant diagnose to save their life and if it isnt on a computer is doesnt exist, hate to burst yer bubble but cmon man, really?!
Keep referring to it as a stealership and ill refuse to offer my help...

Take your vehicle to one of those side shops where they have half the tools and information access as we do. Wonder why I even chose to work for a dealer when there are so Many whiners like you
Old 2/11/12, 03:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
Old 2/11/12, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texastboneking
How does an engineering degree tell you when a car should be serviced?
Because I spent 25 years as a tech before I went and finished it.
Old 2/11/12, 04:26 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Dread53

Because I spent 25 years as a tech before I went and finished it.
Then the engineering degree didn't help you understand when a vehicle should be serviced... your tech training did.
Old 2/11/12, 04:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Take your vehicle to one of those side shops where they have half the tools and information access as we do. Wonder why I even chose to work for a dealer when there are so Many whiners like you
Off topic but how do you like being a tech?
Old 2/11/12, 04:32 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by ford20

Off topic but how do you like being a tech?
I personalty like my job. I do it on the side too. I get off work and I go to someones house to fix their car. Engines fascinate me. What I don't like about my job are the customers that think they know what is better for their car than I do whenever they don't even know the basic principles of an internal combustion engine...

Last edited by texastboneking; 2/11/12 at 04:34 PM.
Old 2/12/12, 11:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I for one like getting the flushes, I have it done every 2 years in my pickup because I use to tow a small Hybrid trailer, and I had it done to my Mach1 because I had a stall converter and the extra heat probably wasn't good.
I have just about 40,000 miles on my 05 pickup and will be getting coolant flush this spring.
Yes ,I could change my own oil, but I've had every single oil changed at dealer since new,
1) I have the money.
2) I like having the records for any warranty problems.
Old 2/12/12, 11:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now you know how I feel defending myself as a UAW worker, ( tool/die Journeymen ).
Old 2/12/12, 01:10 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MARK
I've been away from this Forum for awhile, and now I know why. As a Ford dealership parts person, I'm sick and tired of having to defend the position of a dealership. Nobody wants to do any of the recommended services til their car takes a **** on them, and THEN they decide it's the dealer's fault for not finding it in time, or ignoring it when it was in for service last, whatever excuse they dream up. Granted, these services DO provide a better bottom line to the dealership, but they are also a valid service to the customer. We have countless customers in our store who are dedicated to taking care of their cars, and that know that 98% of the shadetrees don't have the training, tools, and general know-how to repair and service their vehicles properly. I would think that Mustang owners are a cut above the average car owner when it came to service, but the more I read from the Internet commandos, I'm not so sure. Transmission flushes and coolant flushes are vastly superior to drain and refills, and they DO cost more. The equipment is exhorbitantly expensive to buy and maintain. Plus, technicians aren't there just to do underpaid warranty work, they are there to make a living. How many of you work for free, anyway? As to the original poster of this thread regarding the 60,000 mile service of their Mustang, I read your list, and the services are a valid choice. Either do them, or don't do them, it's your CHOICE, and the dealership doesn't cut off your fingers or send you to Afghanistan if you don't. However, don't come crying to them at 100,000 miles if you start having trans and cooling system issues, or your injectors and top end are carboned up. They costs then will be WAY more than the 60,000 recommended service. As the technicians always say, "pay me now, or pay me more later".

relax

remember people do not trust dealers much these days because a few dealers have ruined it.
Old 2/12/12, 01:11 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by UnrealFord

Now you know how I feel defending myself as a UAW worker, ( tool/die Journeymen ).
Old 2/12/12, 01:19 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Stealership, stealership, stealership
Old 2/12/12, 01:31 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Stealership, stealership, stealership
if you say that in the mirror Carroll Shelby will appear and charge you $10,000.00 for a hood.

Quick Reply: 62,170 mile maintanence Ford dealer rip-off