2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

5 Speed Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/05, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a noise in my transmission, mostly a whine at around 50mph and then above 60 to 65mph. I took it in and they replaced the ring and pinion. The problem did not change. They then removed the console to check the lower shifter boot (as directed by the Ford engineers) to see if the seams had sealed. Everything there was fine so the plug was pulled on the pan to find metal. A new transmission was ordered and installed. I picked it up today and now I have a very bad shake in the stering wheel, the shifter vibrates and I can even feel a vibration in the gas pedal. All of the noise and problems are still there with the new one and it also seems that this one may even be louder than the other transmission. I feels as if something may be out of balance.

Anyone got any idea's?
Does your 5 speed radiate noise into the cabin of the car?

I was told that they have had no 5 speeds to compare it to so they are not sure just what the fix is. :bang:
Old 7/28/05, 04:59 PM
V6 Member

Which 5 speed?
Manual or Auto?
Old 7/28/05, 05:03 PM
Cobra Member

is it possible they didn't put the drive shaft back on right causing vibration? What you describe doesn't sound normal.
Old 7/28/05, 05:25 PM
GT Member

[quote=H8TUW8,July 28, 2005, 4:52 PM]
I had a noise in my transmission, mostly a whine at around 50mph and then above 60 to 65mph. I took it in and they replaced the ring and pinion. The problem did not change. They then removed the console to check the lower shifter boot (as directed by the Ford engineers) to see if the seams had sealed. Everything there was fine so the plug was pulled on the pan to find metal. A new transmission was ordered and installed. I picked it up today and now I have a very bad shake in the stering wheel, the shifter vibrates and I can even feel a vibration in the gas pedal. All of the noise and problems are still there with the new one and it also seems that this one may even be louder than the other transmission. I feels as if something may be out of balance.

Anyone got any idea's?

I was told that they have had no 5 speeds to compare it to so they are not sure just what the fix is. :bang:

I posted this last week but it sounds like the rear end; do you think this is the same as yours?:

am getting a loud whine from the rear end: here are the parameters: must be going between 63 and 69 and foot must be on accelerator - when coasting at that speed the noise is not there; it is annoying and loud enough to notice; the car has 1200 miles on it and it may have always been there but it is too hard to hear with the top down but it has been so hot the top went up and bam: there it is;

Anyone else have this and if not guess it will go to the dealer. Thanks
Old 7/28/05, 05:27 PM
GT Member

i posted this last week but thought it was the rear end; is this the same thing you are talking about?

am getting a loud whine from the rear end: here are the parameters: must be going between 63 and 69 and foot must be on accelerator - when coasting at that speed the noise is not there; it is annoying and loud enough to notice; the car has 1200 miles on it and it may have always been there but it is too hard to hear with the top down but it has been so hot the top went up and bam: there it is;

Old 7/28/05, 05:27 PM
GT Member

i posted this last week but thought it was the rear end; is this the same thing you are talking about?

Old 7/28/05, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by zwooky@July 28, 2005, 6:02 PM
Which 5 speed?
Manual or Auto?

manual
Old 7/28/05, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by THRUST_@July 28, 2005, 6:06 PM
is it possible they didn't put the drive shaft back on right causing vibration? What you describe doesn't sound normal.

The transmission has a rough, loude sound. Not grinding, but not smooth(as I think it should be) It also has a continuous whine acceleration. The dealer thought that the whine came from the ring and pinion and it was replaced. Nothing changed.

We have a TKO in our 90' and I expected it to be loude, but the new car is just as loude.
Old 7/28/05, 06:09 PM

[quote=vicmeldrew,July 28, 2005, 6:28 PM]
Originally Posted by H8TUW8,July 28, 2005, 4:52 PM

Anyone got any idea's?

I posted this last week but it sounds like the rear end; do you think this is the same as yours?:

Same problem, but the ring and pinion has been replaced and it did not change a thing.
Old 7/28/05, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd bet that they didn't balance the drive shaft properly. That's definitely where that shaking is coming from. Not normal at ALL. Losing a drive shaft ont he road is potentially dangerous. Bring the car back to the dealership ASAP so they can install a new and properly balanced drive shaft.
Old 7/28/05, 07:51 PM

My car has the same problems. 5speed tremec manual

Tranny is loud (whine 2nd , and 3rd gear)- guess its normal

5th gear whine around 50 (light load) transmission (try putting it in 4th at 50...the whine goes away) (This is a tranny related whine)

Rear Diff whine around 64 - 69 mph. Had the whole axle replaced at the dealer, the brand new from the factory has the same whine, however this unit is not quite as loud. Dealer wont install another axle (ford says the diff noise is normal)

Very disappoined with the car. This along with the orange peel (crappy paint)