2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Gear Chatter - With clutch all the way down?

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/10, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 3rd Gear Chatter - With clutch all the way down?

I know this forum has been over and over how 3rd gear in our manual Mustangs is not the most, err, pleasant.

That said, I'm trying to figure out if my problem is unique (or if I am just doing something stupid) before I bring it in to get fixed.

I have an 2008 Mustang GT and installed an MGW shifter in it a while back. The shifter is great, by the way. However, even with it I noticed then when I got a little aggressive with my driving every once in a while I would get the horrible BUZZZZ when trying to shift into third, even when I could have sworn I had the clutch all the way down to the floor. I just assumed I was either a bad driver, since everyone on this board seems to have a minor issue with 3rd gear.

But then....

I was driving home from work yesterday, not doing anything aggressive and shifted SLOWLY into 3rd because I was in traffic and stopped halfway through the shift gate momentarily. I can litereally feel the gears grinding up the shifter when I am halfway through the gate, and it got REALLY bad when I hate a small crack in the road since the transmission jostled around. This all happened when I had the clutch on the floor. I've never known a car to grind at all, no matter where the shifter is in the gate, with the clutch all the way to the ground!

I checked the other gears, and they're not as noticeable, but it's present. Do I have a problem or am I just an idiot who should know that's what happens when you stop halfway through a shift gate?

Thanks!
Old 3/16/10, 07:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tsooby
I know this forum has been over and over how 3rd gear in our manual Mustangs is not the most, err, pleasant.

That said, I'm trying to figure out if my problem is unique (or if I am just doing something stupid) before I bring it in to get fixed.

I have an 2008 Mustang GT and installed an MGW shifter in it a while back. The shifter is great, by the way. However, even with it I noticed then when I got a little aggressive with my driving every once in a while I would get the horrible BUZZZZ when trying to shift into third, even when I could have sworn I had the clutch all the way down to the floor. I just assumed I was either a bad driver, since everyone on this board seems to have a minor issue with 3rd gear.

But then....

I was driving home from work yesterday, not doing anything aggressive and shifted SLOWLY into 3rd because I was in traffic and stopped halfway through the shift gate momentarily. I can litereally feel the gears grinding up the shifter when I am halfway through the gate, and it got REALLY bad when I hate a small crack in the road since the transmission jostled around. This all happened when I had the clutch on the floor. I've never known a car to grind at all, no matter where the shifter is in the gate, with the clutch all the way to the ground!

I checked the other gears, and they're not as noticeable, but it's present. Do I have a problem or am I just an idiot who should know that's what happens when you stop halfway through a shift gate?

Thanks!
put the stock shifter in and take it to ford, if you're in warranty that is.
Old 3/16/10, 08:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Beyond that, which I recommend of course, you could try the Royal Purple Synchromax. Seems to have helped mine quite a bit.
Old 3/16/10, 08:08 AM

Yeah, I'm going to take it in, but taking that shifter out would be a huge PITA. The dealership is mod friendly, so i might just go for it.
Old 3/16/10, 10:03 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It sounds like you need the TSB trans fix where they replace faulty synchro's.
Old 3/16/10, 10:38 AM

good tip on the tsb. I appreciate it.
Old 3/16/10, 10:45 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by tsooby
good tip on the tsb. I appreciate it.
PS: if it were me, I'd re-install the stock shifter and mums the word on the MGW so there's no issues with getting it fixed free under warranty.
Old 3/16/10, 11:12 AM

Wish I could. I don't have the equipment to do it myself and I don't have a good shop that would do it for me. I installed it in a friend's garage who has since moved...
Old 3/16/10, 11:48 AM
Post *****

You can do it with a few basic tools. Here's a how to (pics & all) from our famous in house TacoBill. Follow the steps but put your factory shifter back in:

https://themustangsource.com/showthr...=450168&page=4

Here's why its a good idea to re-install the factory shifter before you go to your Dealer (no rush unless you're bumping the end of your warranty with high mileage):

https://themustangsource.com/showthr...ht=mgw+install

Also, be sure your tranny fluid is not over-filled as this adds to the grinding issue (its in your owners manual). Good luck!
Old 3/17/10, 01:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was the engine cold? My third gear likes to freak me out when the car is not up to temperature by grinding when the clutch is to the floor. As soon as it warms up, it doesn't do it. But, It has to be completely warm, even if it is just a little low, it can still do it.

Although I'm pretty sure that it did this even before I got an MGW shifter, when the car was brand new.
Old 3/17/10, 01:49 PM
Post *****

Here's the updated TSB.

TSB
08-9-6

4.6L WITH TR3650 MANUAL TRANSMISSION - CLASH OR RASPY FEEL - SHIFTING INTO 2ND AND/OR 3RD GEAR

Publication Date: April 24, 2008

FORD:

2007-2008 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2007-2008 Mustang vehicles equipped with the 4.6L engine and TR3650 5 speed manual transmission may exhibit a clash noise and / or raspy (rough) feel on gear engagements during 1-2 or 2-3 upshifts. This condition may be more pronounced when the transmission is colder than 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove the transmission following Workshop Manual (WSW), Section 308-03B.

Replace with new the 1-2 synchronizer and 3-4 synchronizer assemblies, following WSM, Section 308-03B.

Install the transmission following WSW, Section 308-03B.

PART NUMBER

PART NAME

3R3Z-7124-BA

1-2 Synchronizer

1R3Z-7124-DA

3-4 Synchronizer

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION

DESCRIPTION

TIME

080906A

2007-2008 Mustang 4.6L Engine TR3650 Transmission: Replace The 1-2 And 3-4 Synchronizers, Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission (Do Not Use With 7003A, 7003A2, 7003AZJ, 4602A, 5212B, 7564B)

6.6 Hrs.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.

CONDITION CODE

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/17/10 at 01:54 PM.
Old 3/17/10, 02:58 PM

It stiill does it when the engine has had sufficient time to warm up. Actually, it has done it since I bought the car brand new, it never liked going into 3rd at all. I often just skip it!

I read all over this forum how so many people have problems with 3rd when its cold, etc. that I just figured it was just something I would have to live with. In fact, I put the shifter on to help fix it a bit (it is actually much better than when I bought it.)

What finally had me thinking that i had a problem was grinding with the clutch all the way on the ground? Cut me a break, that shouldn't happen!