2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2009 GT500 KR on Mecum

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/10, 10:48 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by friedmaster
No doubt it's a great car... and if it had been properly priced... then it would've had no trouble selling at MSRP and retaining its value.
The car's a blast, thanks.

I can't think of very many current "toy" cars that retain good value in this economy. Had it not been for bad economy, I probably wouldn't own a KR! Average price now seems to be about 25% less than MSRP for the remaining left-overs. Ford and Shelby had 'em priced for a smooth economy. What kept 'em from selling at first, was greedy dealers wanting as much as $150K for one! Crazy money, which scared most potential customers away. That's the price I was told by the very GREEDIEST local dealer when I asked late in '08. They're still sitting on them, now trying to get MSRP, for a 2-3 year old car. Stupid of them, as few want a 2-3 year old car, when the new models are performing even better. (though I still prefer the look of '09)

Greedy dealers and bad economy killed KR sales; it wasn't that overpriced by Ford or Shelby.

Before scratching your head about current KR pricing, ask yourselves this: What happend to prices of remaining '04 Mustangs when the '05 3 valves came out, and what's happening to prices on the left-over '10 models, now that the new '11 engines are on the road?
I think KRs will still hold their own when compared to other stock, production '08-'09 toys in that same price range of $80K. Before telling me that your 3-valve with $6K blower cost a bunch less and goes just as fast (it's debatable ), I'll ask if it's still under full Ford warranty, is it just as reliable and driveable on pump gas, will it pass a smog check (yes, of some importance), and finally, what will it be worth in 10 or 20 years?

Get those KRs now that they're cheap..! They were the top model S197 Mustangs officially sold through Ford and actually built as a "pre-title" Shelby.

-Sorry for being long-winded here; just passionate 'bout my KR...
Old 10/9/10, 08:46 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
There aren't many who will pay $80k+ for a Mustang.
Well for the right Mustang, If Ford were to offer the right combination of features and performance and in limited qunatities they could do. The KR just wasn't suffciently enough along those lines (Like the Cobrajet Mustangs).
Old 10/9/10, 10:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob
Well for the right Mustang, If Ford were to offer the right combination of features and performance and in limited qunatities they could do. The KR just wasn't suffciently enough along those lines (Like the Cobrajet Mustangs).
Even for the right mustang.... at the end of the day people are still buying the same foundation of a car that is produced in mass quantities for ~20k. For most people in the $80k car market, you want something unique that very few others have... not something that looks like (and basically is) a highly modified $20k car.

@oldlugs Obviously the economy & greedy dealers had a ton to do with it... but I think a majority of the problem falls on Ford. With the ecomomy going well (especially for mustangs), Ford figured that they could sell anything no problem. Meanwhile, by overpricing it to begin with, they indicated to dealers that they could try and sell these cars to the same kind of customer that was buying the GT. IMO, it should've been marketed to the Mustang crowd as the ultimate Mustang (which it basically was). Take the GT500 sticker price, add ~10-15k, and it would've sold like hotcakes. Let dealer markups come from excessive demand instead of being artificially created.
Old 10/9/10, 03:44 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Even for the right mustang.... at the end of the day people are still buying the same foundation of a car that is produced in mass quantities for ~20k. For most people in the $80k car market, you want something unique that very few others have... not something that looks like (and basically is) a highly modified $20k car.
More than a few people bought the 07 GT500s well above 70k (easy to spot, they ***** endlessly about Ford having made more than a promised 2 or 3k and in turn destroying the value of thier collector cars). The Cobrajet cars were nearly 70k (although extremely limited in quantity).

The 2011 GT500 can nearly hang with a Corvette GS, fully optioned out, your talking a 60 grand Mustang, without a doubt in my mind, Ford could easily get 70k or 80 for a car that takes it to then next level (ie; near Z06 performance).

Alot of people dont register that the Mustang and its variants are based on a 20k entry level car - just look at all the I consider a GT500 in the same class as a Corvette bench racing post.

I know there are some elitist knuckleheads out there that would scoff at an 80k Mustang, yet wont blink at eye at paying 70 or 80k for the likes of an M3 or RS5 (when it hits) despite the GT500 already posting better overall numbers that the current M3 - the justifications generally range from rarely an honest opinion to generally silly (which laughably seems to coincide with the person's inability to buy such a car, the lower the income the dumber the excuse).

Anyways my final bit on this whole thing is this; When Ford first announced the GT500 pricing there were alot of naysayers out there - there wasn't anybody who would be willing to pay more for or much more for what the Terminator stickered at. The GT500 proved and still proves that there is a market for it (try and get a rebate from Ford). The KR rightly proved that people will only willingly pay for what they percieve as a real value and the litany of race cars from Ford shows that there are people who would pay serious cash for a Mustang (FR cars which ranged from 70 to over 100k and again the Cobrajet cars which are 70k or more).