2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2008 Mustang GT Brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/16, 07:08 AM
V6 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 Mustang GT Brake noise

I just recently purchased my 08 GT CS vert... Like early April this year. Noticed a pulsating in the right front under braking, so I took it back to the dealer where I purchased the car. They found the front struts where leaking also.
I had everything replaced / new front & rear rotors, all new pads, front struts and rear shocks.All Ford OEM parts. that was my first mistake/// APPX 200 miles later I notice a noise coming from the right front under braking, just regular driving , nothing hard. Returned to dealer, they replaced the 2 front rotors again. stated they where warped. So now I am on my 2nd set of new front rotors ..... Now I am am 500 - 600 miles into the new brakes and still have the noise under braking conditions. no pulling to the left or right, no pulsating just smooth stops. But noise. kinda sounds like the rim or rotor hitting something but can find no signs of anything rubbing or hitting anywhere.
I have another appointment Monday to return to the service dept again. Any Ideals??? From all the Internet searching I've done it sounds like a lot of Mustangs have this problem. Anything from upper/lower ball joints, upper lower control arms an/or bushing to struts top plates or????? Not one for sure solution .
Just curious has anyone pin pointed their noise down to any one thing?

Thanks in advance for your response.
GE
Old 6/2/16, 09:08 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,078 Likes on 674 Posts
Sorry you are having so much trouble but hoping this next visit will fix the problem. I personally am not familiar with the noise but have never had any brake work done either as I'm still on the original everything.
Maybe someone else is familiar with the situation. You may have told us before but how much mileage do you have on the GT/CS? Just seems like a lot of things going bad.
Best of luck!
Old 6/2/16, 10:25 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Sorry you are having so much trouble but hoping this next visit will fix the problem. I personally am not familiar with the noise but have never had any brake work done either as I'm still on the original everything.
Maybe someone else is familiar with the situation. You may have told us before but how much mileage do you have on the GT/CS? Just seems like a lot of things going bad.
Best of luck!
The mileage is 95K now. But the noise didn't start until after I had the brakes redone. The previous owner had the upper & lower tie rod ends replaced.. It now has a new top, new tires, new brakes/rotors. Transmission was rebuilt at 72 K He was the original owner. He purchased the car new in Dec 2007 from a dealer in Melbourne, Florida. But anyway..... still making the noise but all works well.. just bugs me......

Last edited by Greyeagle; 6/17/16 at 11:01 AM.
Old 6/3/16, 05:16 AM

OK, thanks. Again I hope the dealer can get it fixed right. Maybe someone else will still offer an opinion in the meantime. Keep us posted and good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Greyeagle (6/3/16)
Old 6/6/16, 04:18 PM
V6 Member

Noise still there!!! Two different mechanics drove the car this am... The first one says the noise is still in the right front...
The second mechanic drove it to confirm and he said he thinks it's in the rear.
Since they had already redid the front rotors (replaced the rotors a second time under warranty) they redid the rear rotors this time.
Noise is still there. The younger mechanic saids one thing ( The noise is still there.. I heard it) but they senior mechanic says they didn't hear anything... Tells me you drive it. So I did. The NOISE IS THERE..
Guess I'll take it to a shade tree guy and get it fixed. Three trips to the Ford Dealer with their certified mechanics and no help......

Any way I feel better after venting on here. thanks
Old 6/7/16, 09:29 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Did the dealership replace the brake pads ? If not, have them replaced as there was an issue with the pad linings causing the brake squeal..

There's also a revision in one of the TSB's for replacing the brake pads with the upgraded revised version, but I don't remember what number it was..

Perhaps someone who does remember can chime in and post it
Old 6/8/16, 07:18 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Did the dealership replace the brake pads ? If not, have them replaced as there was an issue with the pad linings causing the brake squeal..

There's also a revision in one of the TSB's for replacing the brake pads with the upgraded revised version, but I don't remember what number it was..

Perhaps someone who does remember can chime in and post it
Took it to another mechanic and he says it is the rear. Sounds like a lose caliper.

Thanks for the TSB info. I will do a search for the TSB on pads.....
Old 6/17/16, 08:32 AM
V6 Member

Update..... The noise is still there.
Yesterday when the shop foreman called and told me they had contacted FORD and FORD told them to replace the control arm and bushings. Also told me it would cost me around $1,000. I told them to just push it outside...... The dealer has already spend over $2,500 in repairs on this car. I went to the front office, spoke with the owner again, and he is paying for this also, nice guy huh? Both front wheel bearings where replaced this week. their dime....

Now we have on order the control arms with bushings and the sway bar bushings.
I think thats about everything under the front end...???

NEW ITEMS: Front end parts......

Upper tie rod bushings,
Lower tie rod end bushings,
Steering linkage bushing,
Struts,
Front brake rotors, twice
Front brake pads,
Tires,
Added. my dime, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace... $99 America Muscle.

Rear Items recently replaced.

Rear brake rotors, turned/ replaced,
rear brake pads,
Shocks,
Tires,

Engine Items:

Spark plugs,
3 EA Coils,

Other Items:

Top,
Shaker 500 stereo,

Sure hop this fixes it, I really like the car, but hate the noise...
will post results.....
Old 6/17/16, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Greyeagle
Update..... The noise is still there.
Yesterday when the shop foreman called and told me they had contacted FORD and FORD told them to replace the control arm and bushings. Also told me it would cost me around $1,000. I told them to just push it outside...... The dealer has already spend over $2,500 in repairs on this car. I went to the front office, spoke with the owner again, and he is paying for this also, nice guy huh? Both front wheel bearings where replaced this week. their dime....

Now we have on order the control arms with bushings and the sway bar bushings.
I think thats about everything under the front end...???
Do they need replacing? Seems like we are just throwing parts at it and guessing. Bushings and end links and such are easy to check. Just saying, I've always found it a big waste of time , effort and money to throw parts at an issue. Are we still talking about the front or the rear? Last I remember we didn't know that either.
Old 6/17/16, 10:30 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 07 Boss
Do they need replacing? Seems like we are just throwing parts at it and guessing. Bushings and end links and such are easy to check. Just saying, I've always found it a big waste of time , effort and money to throw parts at an issue. Are we still talking about the front or the rear? Last I remember we didn't know that either.
It's the front again/still/???
The Ford place has their head/master mechanic on it now.

While I do agree that throwing parts at any problem is not the solution it's their dime... on my car. All new parts then take the car elsewhere to get it checked. I have already tried other mechanics and their solutions where about the same as the Ford dealer, Only difference I had to pay instead of the dealer. They are about to run out of options here, front and rear...
stay tuned, more to follow next week. The only good thing thats come out of this is maybe I will have a complete new frontend under the car plus....
Old 6/17/16, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's the front again/still/???
The Ford place has their head/master mechanic on it now.

While I do agree that throwing parts at any problem is not the solution it's their dime... on my car. All new parts then take the car elsewhere to get it checked. I have already tried other mechanics and their solutions where about the same as the Ford dealer, Only difference I had to pay instead of the dealer. They are about to run out of options here, front and rear...
stay tuned, more to follow next week. The only good thing thats come out of this is maybe I will have a complete new frontend under the car plus....
Oh, I didn't know it was them throwing parts at it. The more the merrier at this point then.
Old 6/17/16, 02:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
It all makes you wonder if there's something checkered in this cars past, and I don't mean a checkered flag either.
Old 6/17/16, 02:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
It all makes you wonder if there's something checkered in this cars past, and I don't mean a checkered flag either.
Checkered????? What would you mean by that.......LOL
I got the car fax printout, shows everything perfect... of course I know better now.. After spending soooooooooo muccccccch time in, on, under this car I can pretty much guaranty you it has been wrecked, Tail tail signs are paint over spray on the bottom of the front clip, also in the right rear fender well there are some slight signs of over spray there also. I also found the decals on the left front fender to have signs over of spray on it too....Maybe impact on left front with the rear end swinging around to the right and impacting whatever was there at the time...

All that being said it is my baby now so I am trying to take better care of her. She is fast, smooth & easy to drive, runs straight & true, no pulling left or right when stopping or otherwise..... rides very well. not a Cadillac but handles much better the the lunch wagons I have driven in the pass.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 Mustang GT Brake noise-b7ca14e765d23818ab20975d4f4c4c52x.jpg  
Old 6/21/16, 04:46 PM
V6 Member

Dealer called today..... Control Arms and sway bar bushings are in. I drop the car off Thursday AM Wish me luck, I am running out of things to replace here....
Will post whenever I get her back. stay tuned!!!
Old 6/24/16, 07:20 AM

That's too bad about the Carfax, but it does happen. Yours isn't the first. All the new parts are a real plus, and if this latest repair works, outstanding!
Old 6/24/16, 07:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
That's too bad about the Carfax, but it does happen. Yours isn't the first. All the new parts are a real plus, and if this latest repair works, outstanding!

Thanks,
It's now Friday morning....... call it 8:30AM CST.
Still no car or call, but he did say might be Friday before you get her back.

They do have paying customers too..... I guess they got priority on me... LOL
Thats still better than me paying for all these parts they put on plus a $90 per hour labor rate. Will post whenever I get her back...
Old 6/24/16, 08:07 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Carfax is just a tool to use, and isn't always accurate. I had an accident in the 1999 Miata I used to own and it never showed on Carfax.
Old 6/24/16, 04:32 PM
V6 Member

Friday, 24th June.... Well, Here it is pass closing time and still no car. Maybe tomorrow. I did stop by the shop this afternoon but it wasn't ready. The car was finished but the mechanic says theres still some noise there. Talking about replacing all the sway bar bushings, front and rear. Pretty sure the front is already done. Was on the todo list this time around. He also said something about some special grease for the bushings that they (had to order) to quieten the bushings. Still has a chirp...... so he says. Hell I started out with a popping now its chirping. anyway will post whenever she returns.... pray for her!!!
Old 6/25/16, 10:02 AM
V6 Member

Hello all......... I got my car back, I am happy to say she is now quiet... Everything in the front except the spindles and brake calipers are new. Runs straight and true. Braking is straight no pull, no noise. Sure is nice to have her back. Missed her while she was in the hospital.....
Old 6/25/16, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hello all......... I got my car back, I am happy to say she is now quiet... Everything in the front except the spindles and brake calipers are new. Runs straight and true. Braking is straight no pull, no noise. Sure is nice to have her back. Missed her while she was in the hospital.....
So what was it?

Quick Reply: 2008 Mustang GT Brake noise