2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2008 Crossover Tubes = Bad !?

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/07, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Crossover Tubes = Bad !?

While driving on the highway today, I happened to look down and see the temp guage rising very quickly. By the time I got to the shoulder the temp light came on for a about 60 seconds before I could shut it down. By then I had dumped most of the coolant. I have a 2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Manual Trans with 190 miles on the clock.

I had Ford Roadside tow it back to the dealership. I just heard from the service department, and it is apparently a defective coolant crossover tube. This is common for a large number of 2008's. I was told that Ford corporate is involved and sending out a communication soon to replace these on all 2008's (not sure if this is only for GT's?). I'll post more information as it filters in.

I was also told that those parts are back-ordered for at least a week right now. The good news is that I am getting a loaner. Hopefully not my trade-in car Honda Civic...

Anyone else know anything?
Old 10/9/07, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
..great. I'll finally get my car next week and it'll be broke! LMAO!!
Old 10/9/07, 01:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Never heard of that problem before. What is a crossover tube anyway?
Old 10/9/07, 02:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 60Large
While driving on the highway today, I happened to look down and see the temp guage rising very quickly. By the time I got to the shoulder the temp light came on for a about 60 seconds before I could shut it down. By then I had dumped most of the coolant. I have a 2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Manual Trans with 190 miles on the clock.

I had Ford Roadside tow it back to the dealership. I just heard from the service department, and it is apparently a defective coolant crossover tube. This is common for a large number of 2008's. I was told that Ford corporate is involved and sending out a communication soon to replace these on all 2008's (not sure if this is only for GT's?). I'll post more information as it filters in.

I was also told that those parts are back-ordered for at least a week right now. The good news is that I am getting a loaner. Hopefully not my trade-in car Honda Civic...

Anyone else know anything?

LOL not this sh*t again w/ Ford... There was a HUGE class action lawsuit regarding the crossover tube, but that was for all 1996-2001 Ford cars and trucks that used a zytel nylon crossover. The fix was to use an aluminum crossover. I've never heard of the aluminum crossovers leaking though.
Old 10/9/07, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Seems like Ford has had problems with these things before:

On the '03/'04 Cobras, only the cylinders on the passenger's side head have an outlet for coolant to exit from the head. The coolant that exits goes on to the heater core. There have been numerous failures reported of the rear two pistons on the driver's side (cylinders #7 and #8) on modified Cobra's. One of the most viable theories for these failures is related to the lack of an exit for coolant on the driver's side head. This theory is that coolant more or less gets stuck in a pocket at the back of the driver's side cylinder head and this causes localized overheating at the #7 and #8 cylinders. A probable cure for this problem is to modify the cooling system so that coolant can exit the driver's side cylinder head and join the coolant flow leaving the passenger side head on it's way to the heater core and then on to the radiator.

Thank god, I didn't stick around long enough for an 08. It seems like the 07's were the flawless year haha.
Old 10/9/07, 02:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Is that the Dennis Reinhart mod that was "mandatory" for all modular engines? Did Ford finally use that system on the 5.4L 4V in the Ford GT and the GT500?
Old 10/12/07, 10:57 AM

Got the car back last night. Apparently there was a bad run of the crossover tubes. Romeo engine plant has since corrected the problem. The dealer couldn't give me the specifics on how many or how this made it past Q/A. The failure was due to the stamped steel tube that the coolant line plugs into. The tube had worked itself loose, causing a massive leak. Now, this is all information supplied by the dealer and the story is different depending on who I talk to down there. I've been in communication with 5 different people now.

I also had them check and change the oil. No signs of coolant in the oil (so the head gaskets should be OK). The dealer did put 7 quarts in though

I didn't notice until I got home when I checked the service ticket. I ran out and checked and the dipstick was reading about an inch above the full line! So, I had to drive back down there this morning and have them drain out a quart. And yes, I will be changing my own oil from now on and documenting it with receipts and tracking it in a spreadsheet plus a picture of the spent oil fiter next to the front page of the daily newspaper.

Oh, and they didn't clean the coolant off of the engine and inside of the hood. It is splattered everywhere still. Probably better - I don't want anyone who can't count to 6 blasting hot water around in there anyway. Just something else to beat them over the head with at this point.

I'm playing phone tag with the Customer Service Manager right now.

You know that feeling you have when you get your first prostate exam? Well, except for the cold lubricant pasting my boxers to my cheek... it's about like that.

I still love the car, but I will be using a different dealer for the schedule maintenance.
Old 10/12/07, 12:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

I haven't had any issues like that with mine yet. Had it for several weeks now, but thanks for the info....

Got the car back last night. Apparently there was a bad run of the crossover tubes. Romeo engine plant has since corrected the problem. The dealer couldn't give me the specifics on how many or how this made it past Q/A. The failure was due to the stamped steel tube that the coolant line plugs into. The tube had worked itself loose, causing a massive leak. Now, this is all information supplied by the dealer and the story is different depending on who I talk to down there. I've been in communication with 5 different people now.

I also had them check and change the oil. No signs of coolant in the oil (so the head gaskets should be OK). The dealer did put 7 quarts in though

I didn't notice until I got home when I checked the service ticket. I ran out and checked and the dipstick was reading about an inch above the full line! So, I had to drive back down there this morning and have them drain out a quart. And yes, I will be changing my own oil from now on and documenting it with receipts and tracking it in a spreadsheet plus a picture of the spent oil fiter next to the front page of the daily newspaper.

Oh, and they didn't clean the coolant off of the engine and inside of the hood. It is splattered everywhere still. Probably better - I don't want anyone who can't count to 6 blasting hot water around in there anyway. Just something else to beat them over the head with at this point.

I'm playing phone tag with the Customer Service Manager right now.

You know that feeling you have when you get your first prostate exam? Well, except for the cold lubricant pasting my boxers to my cheek... it's about like that.

I still love the car, but I will be using a different dealer for the schedule maintenance.
Old 10/12/07, 01:46 PM
FR500 Member

not good...hopefully they covered the towing this should be not a dime outta ur pockets...

except now its time to mod shop
Old 10/12/07, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

And yes, I will be changing my own oil from now on and documenting it with receipts and tracking it in a spreadsheet plus a picture of the spent oil fiter next to the front page of the daily newspaper.
You can track your maint. by registering at https://myford.fordvehicles.com

Not only can you enter all the stuff you do, but there will be a dealer record you can access as well.