2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2007 Questions from a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/06, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 Questions from a Newbie

Howdy All,

I have been a Corvette man all my life, and have owned two, and currently have a 2000 C5 Corvette, but we now have a baby, so the Vette just won't work for us anymore. I really like the 2005 Mustang redesign, and I am close to ordering a 2007 GT convertible. I don't know much about Mustangs, but this forum has been a wealth of information. My dealer said he can order me a 2007 and have it here in about 7 weeks, but they don't have any brochures yet, and some of the stuff I am interested in is new for 2007. I would like to see pics of that stuff before I order. Specifically, the GT Appearance Package (54G) says it includes the hood scoop, but I can't tell from the pictures I have seen here if it is functional or not? I would also like details on the Premier Trim Package (68B), Comfort Group (53B), does the mirror include Homelink and Temp, or just compass? Also what is the difference in the Satin Aluminum Instrument Panel Applique (67L) and the Woven Charcoal Aluminum Instrument Panel Applique (67D). Finally are the "Spinner" wheel caps included with the 18" Polished Wheels (64W) or do you have to order the caps as an accessory. Also, if you order the Sirrius Satellite option, is the antenna hidden, or is Ford making the same mistake Chevy did with the first year 2005 C6 by putting it right on the trunk lid...yuk. (In 2006 it moved inside the windshield just above the rearview mirror). The Ford website is of little help, as it still only has 2005 and 2006 Mustangs shown, you can't view or build any 2007 Mustangs, but yet it still has 2005's on the site? Thanks in advance from a Newbie!

-Buster
Old 6/15/06, 11:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT Appearance Package Pics - Hood scoop is non-functional - See this thread for some pics of a 2007 grabber orange GT w/ the appearance package.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=48788

Sirius Antenna Picture - This is my guess as what it will look like, see the last picture, black thing on the decklid.
http://www.automobilemag.com/multime...ustang_gt_500/

Charcoal vs Satin Aluminum dash panel pics can be found in this post.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...4&postcount=10

Check out http://www.kbb.com to option out a 2007 Mustang, it might answer a couple of your questions (ie. spinners).
Old 6/16/06, 02:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Re: Sirius antenna pic.

Welcome to the Mustang herd!

Check out the thread "Here's pics of 2007 Orange GT...". I tried to provide a link, but can't seem to do it.

If you look closely under the rear spoiler in a couple shots you'll see a small black bump that I assume is the Sirius antenna. It looks a little larger to me than the one in the Shelby link that shatter provided. I'm disappointed that it is not body color, and wonder if it could be painted or if that would affect reception?

Sorry I can't help you with the other questions, but I'm sure that someone else will soon since the '07s are starting to turn up at dealerships.
Old 6/16/06, 04:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
Howdy All,

I would also like details on the Premier Trim Package (68B), Comfort Group (53B), does the mirror include Homelink and Temp, or just compass?
-Buster
Hi Buster and welcome, you've come to the right place for answers to your Mustang questions, we're a friendly group at TMS. To answer your questions that haven't been addressed, no one's really sure yet what the Premier Trim Package really looks like. There's been a lot of speculation about two tone "insert" seat colors, contrasting color stitching, and additional chrome trim around the shifter area. All of that is unlikely; what is know is that you'll get upgraded soft-touch interior components - dash cover, arm rest, console cover. I should have my car within two weeks and I'll post detailed pics when it's here, but watch the board because I'm sure another member will get his or her car and post the details, or someone will find one on a lot somewhere and let us know all about it.

As for the mirror in the comfort group, from what I've read it's just the compass/electrochromatic dimming mirror, without homelink or temp. TMS member Steevr is picking up his Comfort Pkg car today so we should know for sure shortly. I wrestled with the same question and simply ordered heated seats as a standalone option; it ended up saving me $325 but I don't have a power passenger seat because of it. I've costed the full-boat mirror (homelink/temp/compass/dim) and it's about $350 from the ford parts counter. Installation requires a wire from the mirror to a temp sensor mounted near the radiator, plus the normal power and ground wires. I'm not sure if the power/ground are part of the standard '07 wiring harness (they probably are in every '07, and just "plugged" if you didn't get comfort pkg); but I would guess that the temp sensor and its wiring are NOT in the vehicle. Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal to upgrade it.

Good luck with your decision, and don't forget to order the new black CLOTH top. It's a $230 option.
Old 6/16/06, 08:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Satin vs. Charcoal dash panel...

Buster, there is one more thing you should know about the two dash panel choices with the IUP (interior upgrade package--we use lots of acronyms here at TMS).

Satin was initially the only dash color available on '05s with IUP and the Charcoal was added as an option later on--either for late '05s or 06s, I can't recall which. The door handles, steering wheel spokes, sill plates and shifter are all satin finish even if you order the Charcoal (AKA Dark) IUP dash. The A/C vents will also remain a silver-color plastic that more or less matches the satin even if you order the Charcoal.

The Charcoal gives you a sort of two-tone look, and the Satin dash matches the other IUP pieces for a more unified look.

Hope this helps.
Old 6/16/06, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

You will like the GT vs. the C5. I had a 1997 C-5 and loved it, but the 06 GT fells like it has just the same power, but also feels a bit more snug than the C5 did.

Stock - the GT has a better exhaust note and grumble the C5 was missing.
Old 6/16/06, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by KBONSIG
You will like the GT vs. the C5. I had a 1997 C-5 and loved it, but the 06 GT fells like it has just the same power, but also feels a bit more snug than the C5 did.

Stock - the GT has a better exhaust note and grumble the C5 was missing.
Thanks KBONSIG, I agree, to me the GT feels more solidly built than the C5, the seats are better, and also as you mention, the stock exhaust note is much better. We were very favorably impressed by the GT. I have lots of mods to my Vette however, and it is putting down 418rwhp, (it was at 293 stock) so by comparison the GT felt very slow, and because of the extra weight of the GT, the handling is not nearly as good. Other than that, we actually like the GT better than the C5, and as soon as we can sell the C5, the 2007 GT convertible will be on order!
Old 6/16/06, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
I agree, to me the GT feels more solidly built than the C5, the seats are better, and also as you mention, the stock exhaust note is much better. We were very favorably impressed by the GT. I have lots of mods to my Vette however, and it is putting down 418rwhp, (it was at 293 stock) so by comparison the GT felt very slow, and because of the extra weight the GT, the handling is not nearly as good. Other than that, we actually like the GT better than the C5, and as soon as we can sell the C5, the 2007 GT convertible will be on order!
Well said. I'm in the same boat as you, had a baby 6 weeks ago and need a car with a back seat (of sort). The baby seat fits in the back, but with the carseat in (facing rear) your front passanger will not want to go for many rides.

We use my wifes MDX for all trips with the baby, so he won't see my car very much at all.
Old 6/16/06, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Shatter, thanks for the links, that helps a bunch. I have now decided that I will NOT be ordering the GT apperance package, because I don't want the hood scoop if it is not functional. I like the rolled tips and engine cover, but I will just order them seperately as accessories. I am still undecided on the dash panel between the satin and dark, I think they both look good.

IWantMyNewGT, thanks for the Sirius antenna info. I was really wanting to get this option, but won't be ordering it now seeing that yes, Ford is making the same mistake that Chevy made on the 2005 C6 by putting the darn antenna on the rear deck lid. Looks like the trunk has a black wart, ha, ha. Oh, and I am in the military, so acronyms are kind of like my second language anyway

Bob99b5, great info on the interior and mirror, thanks! I think you are right, if I at least order the compass mirror, the wiring should at least be there to replace it with the Homelink mirror, then I would probably just have to run the wire for the temp sensor. I will be sure to order the black cloth top, I think that is a great option!

KBONSIG, Thanks for the perspective, and baby seat info. When we test drove a new 06 GT, we put or baby, and the baby seat in back, and had the same impression as you. With a forward facing seat there will be plenty of room, but we found with the rear facing seat, it was better to just put the other parent in the back seat with the baby to watch him when the top was down.

Thanks guys for all the great info. This Corvette guy appreciates the warm reception and all the great info. I'm really looking forward to joining the herd for real!

Buster
Old 6/17/06, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I just sold my 2000 C5 Corvette tonight. I was sad to see her go, but I am really looking forward to getting a 2007 GT Convertible. I am going to order it this week, and hopefully it will be here in six to eight weeks!
Old 6/18/06, 03:59 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Bob99b5
As for the mirror in the comfort group, from what I've read it's just the compass/electrochromatic dimming mirror, without homelink or temp.
The mirror is electrochromatic auto-dimming WITH homelink and compass. Not sure if it comes with temperature or not.

Click here. Paragraph five...bullet point three.
Old 6/18/06, 04:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but the post on the site is WRONG. Like my dad used to say, "Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see."

Checke the pics posted by Steevr on vehicle status and production page - he has the comfort pkg and the mirror is simply temp/electrochromatic dim. Definitely NOT homelink, and not temp either.
Old 6/18/06, 05:11 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Bob99b5
Sorry to disappoint you, but the post on the site is WRONG. Like my dad used to say, "Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see."

Checke the pics posted by Steevr on vehicle status and production page - he has the comfort pkg and the mirror is simply temp/electrochromatic dim. Definitely NOT homelink, and not temp either.
Well that's unfortunate. I guess a swap will be in order then.
Old 6/18/06, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Well hopefully the accessory Homelink mirror will use the same wiring harness and will just be plug and play. Of course if you get the one with the temp as well, you will still have to run a wire for the temp sensor, but that shouldn't be too bad.
Old 6/18/06, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

if you want to install your own Sirius unit, the antenna works just fine in the front inside corner of the windshield or on the rear package shelf...in other words "inside and out of sight", I have had no problems with reception in both my vehicles with the antenna inside.

BTW, good luck on the new car...you will love it!
Old 6/19/06, 06:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by KR3259
if you want to install your own Sirius unit, the antenna works just fine in the front inside corner of the windshield or on the rear package shelf...in other words "inside and out of sight", I have had no problems with reception in both my vehicles with the antenna inside.

BTW, good luck on the new car...you will love it!
Yeah, I wish I could just order the Sirius in the Shaker 500 head unit, but not have them install the antenna. Then I could run the antenna wire up through the a-pillar and put the antenna above the rearview mirror inside the glass and out of sight. So it looks like you either have to purchase Sirius in aftemarket, where the head unit will be in plain sight, but the antenna will be out of the way, or order it stock where the head unit will be hidden but the antenna is in a bad spot...go figure. I guess I will order it from the factory. Looks like the lesser of two evils.