2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2007 Appearance, Paint, Finish and more...

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/06, 09:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 Appearance, Paint, Finish and more...

I mentioned this subject on an unrelated post an decided to start a new thread on this topic. Like most everyone, shortly after driving the Stang home, I washed and waxed it. After a close examination I was pleasantly suprised of the quality of the factory paint job. The standard flaws one comes to expect were nonexistant. With the exception of the passenger side rear fender/panel protruding about 1/16" beyond the rear bumper- IT IS PERFECT. The fit and finish is "right on". The "lines" are awesome. I've owned three other Mustangs, as well as numerous other cars, trucks, and motocycles, "this" is by far, the best in overall appearance. Whatever they're doing up there in Flat Rock, keep up the good work.

Props to the interior as well. I elected to go with the PTP, which may have helped as I noticed some complaining about, "too much plastic". This is definitely not an issue with the PTP. It is a perfect combination of materials(plastic, leather, pleather, metals, etc.) that gives the space a "higher-end" appearance expected in much more expensive cars. The fit and finish match the exterior in unmatched quality as well.

I've had this car going on 10 weeks. I have absolutely ZERO complaints. There is not another car in the world that can match this vehicle in overall performance and appearance for the money- AND I DON'T WORK FOR FORD.
Old 10/24/06, 11:13 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The reason the build quality is so good is the "Ford" Mustang is actually a Mazda.
Ford even classifies it as a foregin car. (it's in the VIN)

All I can say is this one is definitely built a lot better than my '03. That thing was terrible.
Old 10/24/06, 11:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
The reason the build quality is so good is the "Ford" Mustang is actually a Mazda.

All I can say is this one is definitely built a lot better than my '03. That thing was terrible.
I see that you're still looking for that grill. You can put that crack pipe down as "this" is no Mazda. I don't care what the VIN implies. Maybe a RX7 grill will work... good luck.
Old 10/24/06, 12:06 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StangNut

So what your saying is Flat Rock, MI is accually a foregin country.

Lol
Old 10/24/06, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The car is a Ford car built in a plant that is co-owned with Mazda. Part of the plant is considered a foreign trade zone. The VIN does not imply it is a Mazda. The assembly practices are definitely inspired by Japanese production methods.

I will say that I have one annoying rattle in the passenger A-pillar area. However, the assembly fit and finish is definitely improved from what was done on the previous generation car. The paint on my car is nicely done. There was one small flaw in the bumper paint on mine.
Old 10/24/06, 01:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am very pleased with the fit and finish of my '06 Mustang. I have yet to find a flaw anywhere. The paint is like a mirror with no annoying orange peal.
The only nit pick is a slight rumble which seems to come from the right front at low speeds. I really love this car!! And the fuel mileage is also very good.
I'm sure the Mazda influence has been a factor in the overall quality.
Old 10/24/06, 01:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by kepfordj
So what your saying is Flat Rock, MI is accually a foregin country.

Lol
Is will be if you guys re-elect that idiot Democrat governor in two weeks...
Old 10/24/06, 01:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The Mustang is assembled at Flat Rock, MI in the AutoAlliance International Plant. Previous cars that came out of AAI were: Ford Probe, Mazda 626, and the 99-02 Cougar. AAI currently assembles the Mazda 6 and Mustang GT. The Mustang GT's AALA parts content label showed it had a 65% domestic parts content. The TR-3650 is Hencho en Mexico.

For comparison, the Toyota Avalon was 73%+ in 2004 and the Jeep Wrangler was 83% in 2004.
Old 10/24/06, 01:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Is will be if you guys re-elect that idiot Democrat governor in two weeks...

You mean Jen Jen?
Old 10/24/06, 02:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool

The only thing that the VIN "implies" is that it was built at AAI. It still says that the car was built in the US, and if you want to argue about it, maybe I should introduce you to my 2500+ UAW brothers that, along with me, built your Mustangs, GT500's, and a few Mazdas along the way. BTW, the Mazda6 is a FINE car, the progenitor of the Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr!! P.S. SteelTownStang, Thanks for the nice word about your stang!! I'm very pleased with mine too, and have had no complaints about it either!!
Old 10/24/06, 02:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
The only thing that the VIN "implies" is that it was built at AAI. It still says that the car was built in the US, and if you want to argue about it, maybe I should introduce you to my 2500+ UAW brothers that, along with me, built your Mustangs, GT500's, and a few Mazdas along the way. BTW, the Mazda6 is a FINE car, the progenitor of the Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr!! P.S. SteelTownStang, Thanks for the nice word about your stang!! I'm very pleased with mine too, and have had no complaints about it either!!

Carfax shows the S197s as being manufactured in the United States.
My Crown Vic was manufactured in Canada, but US and Canada are considered "domestic". I'm not sure about Mexico.
Old 10/24/06, 03:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool

Not exactly sure how it all works, but I do know that AAI is not considered as part of the Ford of North America financial problem b/c of it being a joint Mazda-Ford plant (its considered part of the Asian market by Ford when it comes to money). In fact, AAI has its own president and board of directors, and they report to our "parents". We supply their cars, they supply our money.
Old 10/24/06, 04:32 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
...but I do know that AAI is not considered as part of the Ford of North America...
Exactly my point. Thanks, John.

According to Ford, the Mustang is classified in this category:
All passenger cars imported from outside North America or non-Ford built passenger cars marketed by Ford.

So either they moved Flatrock outside the US while no one was looking, or Ford considers the Mustang a "non-Ford built passenger car". Also, the second letter of every FORD car is an F. Ours is a Z. (Mercury is M, Lincoln is L)

Oh and I'd be glad to meet your 2500+ brothers. Have them stop by anytime.
Old 10/24/06, 04:38 PM

You have no orange peel at all? I didn't know any car came from the factory with no orange peel.
Old 10/24/06, 05:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I'd say +1 on the build quality kudos. My 2005 'Stang has 21000 miles on it and has never been in for any warranty work. Everything works great. Fit and finish is still great, with the exception of rocks and such that have struck the front end, which isn't a build issue.

I contrast this with my (purchased new) 1989 'Stang which burned oil, carboned up heads, had an alternator failure, A/C failure, headlight switch failure, speedometer cable failure, and paint that looked 10 years old when only 2 (Ford ended up repainting the car). This was all before my 6 year, 60k mile Ford ESP ran out. It sure paid for itself!

Hiznherponies, your union brothers and sisters have done a fine job building these cars in the good old US of A - I don't care what my VIN says. They have earned the right to be proud!!

Now if they would only stop voting for Democrats all would be right with the world!
Old 10/24/06, 05:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
AND
Old 10/24/06, 06:33 PM
GTR Member

I love my car but I will admit, I wish the interior plastic was nicer..that is all..goodnite folks
Old 10/24/06, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc

Hiznherponies, your union brothers and sisters have done a fine job building these cars in the good old US of A - I don't care what my VIN says. They have earned the right to be proud!!

Now if they would only stop voting for Democrats all would be right with the world!
Vote republican move more jobs overseas and bust the all union!
Yea! Bring in the the guess workers
Old 10/24/06, 06:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The UAW should stop voting the Democrats into office, for the sake of every working person and for the sake of protecting your Constitutionally affirmed rights (like the 2nd amendment).
Old 10/24/06, 07:04 PM
GTR Member

whats up with the politics?

Quick Reply: 2007 Appearance, Paint, Finish and more...