2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2006 Owners with Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/05, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I have the EXACT same problem that is reported in the TSB for transmission noise see here:

http://www.bradbarnett.net/mustangs/galaxi...8tranygrowl.pdf

My car whines in second and third like it's about to takeoff a runway or something and grinds when I decellerate.

I took the car in today to Hollywood Ford and apparently the '06 transmission is different than the '05. I don't know if this is true.. was the first time I dealt with them so if anyone in the know has different information please let me know.

So they said because it was different that the parts, and fix, for the TSB on the '05 would not work for the '06 because they were different parts.

They called the Ford hotline and were told that Ford would open an investigation into the problem, but until other people apparently have the same problem I'm screwed.

And it's supposed to be "normal" but I'm to bring it in if it gets worse. F'n BS if you ask me, since the is OBVIOUSLY the same problem.

Anyway I was hoping that anyone with this problem who has an '06 and has had a different experience please post here or PM me and to all others please take your car in and complain because apparently until that happens Ford won't fix it.

I must say I'm VERY dissapointed. The tech said, "Yeah it's definately noisy. It sounds like there's definately something wrong but we can't fix it until Ford tells us it's not normal."

Un FRIGGIN beliveable!
Old 12/13/05, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks. Mine is fine. Buy I'd get on the phone. Send them / show them this TSB. It shouldn't be too hard to prove. You may have an 06 but it's a known problem.

Think Squeaky Wheel!
Old 12/13/05, 02:21 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah I had a printout of the TSB with me. They said the '06 was a different transmission and that's why they couldn't fix it.
Old 12/13/05, 02:42 PM

I call BS! on them. It's the same tranny (T3650). They just patched it in 06. Obviously they skipped yours. I'd call their customer service line.

It may take a while and you'll probably have to be persistance and a jerk, but they'll fix it if you throw a big enough fit.

I missed a fan motor recall on the wife's Contour a several years back. The recall was like over a year expired. Well sure as Poop, the fan caught on fire. I called and at first, they said I was SOL. I just kept working my way up to the SR. VP of Customer Service. It got fixed. Along with basically anything that had any hint of smoke damage to it.
Old 12/13/05, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got some gear noice in my 06 in fourth gear, but it stored for the winter, so come spring when I bring her out again if I still have the noise I'm taking it back to the dealer.
I was kinda thinking it was just me hearing every little thing and putting it to being a new car needing the break in, but the more I'm hearing from others here it sounds like there might be a TSB coming out on this.
Old 12/13/05, 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks 2006GT are you certain it's the same tranny?

If it IS definately then someone's hiney is going be served to them as a hat!
Old 12/14/05, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Imatk@December 13, 2005, 6:14 PM
Thanks 2006GT are you certain it's the same tranny?

If it IS definately then someone's hiney is going be served to them as a hat!

I'm 99.99% sure it's the same. It's bascially the same Tranny they've been using for years. Sure they've modify it here and there but generally it's the same. Even if it was completly different, I'd still raise cane...
Old 12/14/05, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

Ok so I've spoken with an "insider" and have been told Ford's general policy regarding this type of thing.

Apparently Ford will not pay the dealer to fix something that's not a TSB unless it's causing mechanical failure.

Even though it's the EXACT same transmission.

In other words until enough people complain about the transmission being noisy in the '06 (like the '05 TSB) OR my transmission completely craps out and doesn't work, Ford has the attitude of basically, "screw em... they'll have to live with it."

And Ford probably wonders why they just had to shut down plants and lay off workers because of poor sales.

Perhaps it's because of this type of attitude. Pench a penny here, but lose a future customer. Very short-sighted IMHO.

Well I hope their attitudes change toward this... there really is no magical formula I don't think.

Build a great car and fix it if it needs fixing. Doesn't seem too complicated to me but what do I know... of course I'm not a part of the domestic auto industry that is currently hemorrhaging sales to their Japanese counterparts.
Old 12/15/05, 12:46 AM
V6 Member

I may have this problem too...Tomorrow I will listen closely when I drive. Is it a clunking sound when you put it into gear? Or only when you decelerate?
Old 12/15/05, 03:55 AM
Cobra Member

It's more of a grinding sound when you decelerate in second and third.

There is also a slight whine in second and third.
Old 12/15/05, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Imatk@December 14, 2005, 6:12 PM
Ok so I've spoken with an "insider" and have been told Ford's general policy regarding this type of thing.

Apparently Ford will not pay the dealer to fix something that's not a TSB unless it's causing mechanical failure.

Even though it's the EXACT same transmission.

In other words until enough people complain about the transmission being noisy in the '06 (like the '05 TSB) OR my transmission completely craps out and doesn't work, Ford has the attitude of basically, "screw em... they'll have to live with it."

And Ford probably wonders why they just had to shut down plants and lay off workers because of poor sales.

Perhaps it's because of this type of attitude. Pench a penny here, but lose a future customer. Very short-sighted IMHO.

Well I hope their attitudes change toward this... there really is no magical formula I don't think.

Build a great car and fix it if it needs fixing. Doesn't seem too complicated to me but what do I know... of course I'm not a part of the domestic auto industry that is currently hemorrhaging sales to their Japanese counterparts.

Very disheartening to hear that. :angry: It's amazing the crap one has to endure just to get a little service. From a business prospective, it makes no sense. 1) You **** off the customer, 10 to 1, they're not coming back. 2) Word of mouth is a very, very powerful thing. 3) It would be cheaper to fix this now than to possibly have to replace the entire transmission later on down the line.

It sucks Imatk, but I'd keep calling. :bang: Ask for there boss and then the bosses boss and so on and so fourth.

Good luck man!
Old 12/15/05, 09:10 AM

Just noticed I'm finally at 99 post. So humor me for a momment please.... Aaaaannnnnd 100 (enter...)
Old 12/15/05, 07:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just got my car back from having this TSB problem. The dealer put in a new reverse gear, synchro and snap ring kit. The Sr Service Tech said that in talking to Ford, the part(s) had been "redesigned". Don't know if that means all or just one. I call it more of a sound like your fan motor has a bad bearing. The noise popped up at 6K in third and quickly started to come and go in 2nd/4th. What I noticed as posted in another thread, was that the work solved this problem and also reduced the overall drivetrain noise like a 1/3rd or more which had been there since I got the car. To me, its hard to believe that they say yea, something ain't right but we don't know what it is so just keep driving it until it really tears something apart.
Wonder if their "solution" for the 05 is going to last.
Old 12/16/05, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Ranger@December 15, 2005, 7:37 PM
I just got my car back from having this TSB problem. The dealer put in a new reverse gear, synchro and snap ring kit. The Sr Service Tech said that in talking to Ford, the part(s) had been "redesigned". Don't know if that means all or just one. I call it more of a sound like your fan motor has a bad bearing. The noise popped up at 6K in third and quickly started to come and go in 2nd/4th. What I noticed as posted in another thread, was that the work solved this problem and also reduced the overall drivetrain noise like a 1/3rd or more which had been there since I got the car. To me, its hard to believe that they say yea, something ain't right but we don't know what it is so just keep driving it until it really tears something apart.
Wonder if their "solution" for the 05 is going to last.
Mine sounds like a quiet version of a jackhammer when accelereating in 4th mostly, but sometimes I hear it as well. I have a appt scheduled for monday, along with getting my tint replaced since it is scratched to heck. Had the dealer do it, and was hoping they would put some felt in it. Watch them say it is my fault, since I replaced the door speakers.