2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Am I pinging/detonating?

Old 4/24/17, 08:25 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I pinging/detonating?

Hey guys, so I have this sound when I'm in gear and accelerating. It will not happen when I'm not in gear, it will sound like a clean rev up if I'm in neutral. When I am in gear, any gear, I get a sound that I would describe as sand being dropped on sheet metal. I've looked around the forums and the general consensus for the go-to description is marbles in a tin can. It doesn't sound like that. This is a very subtle, but to me, obvious difference and like I said, only happens when I'm in gear. What's odd though, is it seems most people detonate when they are giving it decent throttle. Now, mine MAY make the noise also while I'm getting on it, but I don't notice it. My exhaust is pretty loud. I distinctly notice it when I have my windows up and am giving it light to very moderate throttle. Like I said, it could always be there, but this is when I hear it. I was actually at the Ford dealership today looking at a part to verify that the one I recieved wasn't broken (slave cylinder, if you look at the top you'll know what I'm talking about) and when I went to crank up my engine to leave, it died immediately. I know I'm getting fuel. I have a boost gauge and wideband so I know I don't have a vacuum leak, otherwise I would be running leaner than usual correct? When I'm in boost, my psi and afr are spot on as well.

I plan on ordering spark plugs tonight. I hope to god they don't break off in the heads when I replace them. I bought the car with the supercharger on it so I don't know for sure that the plugs have been changed. I would assume so, but new plugs certainly won't hurt. I also cleaned the MAF a few months back, so that shouldn't be a problem (again, not running lean, but I saw it as a suggestion). I'll have to take the tb off to get to the driver side plugs so I'll clean that as well. Can't hurt.

If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Edit:
I forgot to mention, the car is not over heating. I have a temp gauge and the hottest it ever really reads is 205. The sensor is mounted between the thermostat and the upper part of the radiator. I was told this can cause it to read a little higher than the actual temperature the engine is seeing. Makes sense. That's not important though, my temps seem to be good.

Last edited by Left Lane Muscle; 4/24/17 at 10:54 PM.
Old 4/25/17, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Can't tell you what that sound is you're hearing but it is not detonation or pinging. Does this noise, sand falling on sheet metal, change with vehicle or engine speed? Auto or manual?

not running lean doesn't mean you don't have a vacuum leak. Your motor can be adding more fuel via the O2 sensor readings. Only way to tell is to data log fuel trims to see if the car is compensating.

What kind of supercharger and how mush boost? makes a difference in the type of plug you want to put in there. I run one step colder with the HT plugs and 2 steps colder with the Brisk plugs. I would think that they at least would have been changed to the proper heat range after the guy put in the blower, but you never know.

Still a little vague on the sound we are trying to diagnose. Putting up a video or a better description might help.
Old 4/25/17, 05:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sound doesn't seem to increase or decrease with engine speed but seems to get slightly louder with engine load. It's a manual.

I don't have anything to datalog with. Depressing.

It's the roush tvs, about 10psi when I'm wide open. I ordered the brisk plugs that are appropriate for my setup.

I took it out for a drive and tried taking a video. Literally useless. It didn't show up at all and only pissed me off listening to this ridiculous noise. When I slowly rev it up in neutral, at about 3k it starts squeaking and goes away past then. I guess that's a different problem, I don't know how a pulley would be related (assuming that's what it is).

As for the description, I can't think of anything else. It's not the kind of noise that is made by hitting the thin metal pieces on a drum set. It's like dropping sand or something else very very small on aluminum foil. Like each grain makes it's own noise and stops, except there's like a hundred grains.

Between 3 finals, 2 essays, 2 jobs, and now this, I'm just getting angry. I don't even have time to eat, let alone diagnose some problem that of course isn't similar to other peoples' problems. Thank you for your help. I'll have a guy at work vape around the tb and blower and see if there's any vacuum leaks. I guess I'll try to get around to looking at the pullies.

Search this Thread