2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2005 Toyota Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/04, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Now I didn't say it was a newer BMW. It was actually a 3 series ( Can;t remember which, it's been too long) from 89 that we got in 92 used. It seemed to be in very good shape when we got it but soon, despite our good care of it, things started falling off or not working so we kind of decided not to go that route again. Don't know, it could have been a lemon but it was enough to convince my step-father. And he is from Europe.
Old 9/1/04, 11:00 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Toyota Mustang? are you guys crazy? i can't believe this thread has lasted so long. well anyways, i'll play along.

First of all what makes a mustang a mustang?

It isnt just the name. the original intent of the car was to make a sporty car that was affordable to the masses. Soon, the idea of a very powerful high displacement/ torque engine was included. The engine has to be able to make a throaty sound as it snaps your head back. nowadays, you can't mistake a mustang for any other car. My gf has absolutely zero interest in cars, but she can always point out the american sport cars from the japanese, "the american cars are the unique looking cars" - my Girl. These ideas alone make it impossible for toyota to make this car.

Toyota cars are bland, and powerless. they cant make a big engine with gobs of torque, AND have it CHEAP. ( i know lexus has 8 cyl engines but they also cost you your first born child). Their idea of a sport car (and the rest of japan) is to make some dinky small car and a high revving engine. (DEFINITELY NOT A MUSTANG) Their engines have SOOOO much HIGH TECH in them, that it also costs more than the equivalent powered (but bigger displacement) lower tech engine.

Oh yeah, btw, unless toyota makes a high torque engine (which they wont, because they have absolutely no idea how....ahem Tundra....) their "affordable" sport car is going to have to be FWD, which really kicks "driving excitement" in the twig and berries.

the reason for their dinky cars are this: they want gas saving......ok that requires small engines......but small engines have no torque.....umm ok....so the car has to be small and light.....great.....so if you are bigger than the average asian (150 lbs and 5'6", good luck fitting comfortably (I know that's partially racial, but i can say that, i'm a 5'9" chinese guy) . these facts alone make it impossible for toyota to use the mustang name.

Toyota cars are very reliable, and very sensible, absolutely nothing wrong with that. except if your interests in cars are more than just a tool to get you from point A to point B. And that is where American cars have the edge.

Eventually, american cars will catch up and maybe exceed japanese reliability and interior quality. But will the japanese match the americans in fun, looks, and originality? probably not. they play it too safe, and i bet that will be their achillis heel.

So with all that, i conclude, i would only buy a mustang if it was designed by an american company. I wouldnt trust a japanese company to keep the car original and unique.
Old 9/1/04, 11:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Eventually, american cars will catch up and maybe exceed japanese reliability and interior quality.
Don't hold yer breath.
Old 9/2/04, 05:23 AM
V6 Member

Compare the F150 to the Nissan Titan.

F150: no recalls, interior quality is amazing. ride quality and road noise is class leading.

Titan: plagued by recalls, (the passenger floor leaks water) (the amazing RHINO lining deteriorates, ...etc..), interior quality is not nearly as nice, ride comfort is also not as nice.

Nissan 350Z: front suspension is messed up, front tires wear prematurely and unevenly. front windsheild leaks, transmission is faulty. (4 transmission designs in 1 year!)

Hopefully, the mustang launch will be just as clean as the F150, i believe it will be because Ford understands that the mustang is an Icon, just like the F150. The interior of the mustang is also very nice. I've had the fortune of sitting in one and I was definitly impressed, its light years ahead of my 01 GT.
Old 9/2/04, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

nicely put G8trStang
Old 9/2/04, 11:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by G8trStang@September 2, 2004, 5:26 AM
Compare the F150 to the Nissan Titan.

F150: no recalls, interior quality is amazing. ride quality and road noise is class leading.

Titan: plagued by recalls, (the passenger floor leaks water) (the amazing RHINO lining deteriorates, ...etc..), interior quality is not nearly as nice, ride comfort is also not as nice.

Nissan 350Z: front suspension is messed up, front tires wear prematurely and unevenly. front windsheild leaks, transmission is faulty. (4 transmission designs in 1 year!)

Hopefully, the mustang launch will be just as clean as the F150, i believe it will be because Ford understands that the mustang is an Icon, just like the F150. The interior of the mustang is also very nice. I've had the fortune of sitting in one and I was definitly impressed, its light years ahead of my 01 GT.
of course the f-150 is going to wipe the floor with the titan what do the japanese know about trucks? but didnt it beat the f-150 in a motortrend comparo