Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/07, 09:30 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mustang GT Insurance

I was wondering if once you install a supercharger if your insurance goes up? And once you have it installed what do you go about doing with the insurance companies?

Thanks
Old 3/18/07, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

They'll probably drop you! In all seriousness I personally wouldn't go out of my way to tell them what I've been doing to my car lately unless I'm looking for a rider to add the extra goodies to the policy. Why go out of your way to put MORE money in their pockets?
Old 3/18/07, 11:28 AM

No reason at all to tell the ins co - it will only bring you grief (more money out of your pocket every year).
Old 3/18/07, 11:38 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya, after telling them I made some mods they cancelled my insurance (based on a lowering kit alone). After a big argument they renewed my insurance but dropped the "guaranteed renewal". I have been with them for 17 years. I just did some shopping around but looks like nobody in the area will insure a modified vehicle. I can just imagine what would happen if I did some serious mods to the engine. One thing I do know, if you don't tell them and your car is in an accident, they only have to repair it back to stock, you would need to repay for all the mods.
Old 3/18/07, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

I guess I'm lucky. My insurance company just told me to keep all my receipts -- that I would be covered as long as I have proof of my mods. BTW, my '03 Cobra insurance was more than my '05 GT's....
Old 3/18/07, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willie
I guess I'm lucky. My insurance company just told me to keep all my receipts -- that I would be covered as long as I have proof of my mods. BTW, my '03 Cobra insurance was more than my '05 GT's....
Willie, Which insurance company do you use?
Old 3/18/07, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm with State Farm but I've been with them since the beginning of time. I shop around every couple of years and no one has ever come close to what I pay with these guys.

Keeping my receipts is very important for my '05 GT considering it looks like a GT500. I'll be going on a road trip in a couple of weeks and I'm kind of worried. The one place I don't want attention is parking overnight in a motel parking lot. Gotta get me a car cover! Out of sight, out of mind -- hopefully!

Willie
Old 3/18/07, 12:14 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by adrenalin
ya, after telling them I made some mods they cancelled my insurance (based on a lowering kit alone)...
That makes little sense unless that insurance refrains from insuring Roush. Corvettes, Porshes, and a bunch of other cars.
Old 3/18/07, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm with State Farm but I've been with them since the beginning of time. I shop around every couple of years and no one has ever come close to what I pay with these guys.

Keeping my receipts is very important for my '05 GT considering it looks like a GT500. I'll be going on a road trip in a couple of weeks and I'm kind of worried. The one place I don't want attention is parking overnight in a motel parking lot. Gotta get me a car cover! Out of sight, out of mind -- hopefully!

Willie
Yea I know what you mean,I do a good many car shows and staying a hotel scares me. Last year in Bowling Green Kty, I parked under a lite to see it at night. I was lucky! I could just look out my room at any time and check it out. I had a pharmacist leave me a note ,he wanted to buy my car,but I didn't contact him,because I wasn't ready to see it.
Old 3/18/07, 02:34 PM
Cobra R Member

they should still cover people, mine yold me the reciept thing too but if you dont tell them and you get in n accident and they find a s/c under the hood they will cancel your payment asap its a claus in most contracts
Old 3/18/07, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
they should still cover people, mine yold me the reciept thing too but if you dont tell them and you get in n accident and they find a s/c under the hood they will cancel your payment asap its a claus in most contracts
I heard that there is a special insurance for modified vehicles,but I'm not sure of the name of it. You go out and get an appraisal on the car and they insure it for that. That way your fully cover if something happens.
Old 3/18/07, 03:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Previous to installing my Magnacharger, I called my Ins. Co. and informed them that I was considering a $6000 modification to my car and asked them what it would do to my rates. After being put on hold for about 3min. they came back and told me that my rates would not be affected but to notify them when I did the mods.[ I never specifically said it was a SC and they never asked]. After the install I again called them and advised them I had done a 6000 dollar modification and I was told they would note it in my file and said to keep receipts. I am insured through Hartford.
Old 3/18/07, 04:15 PM
Cobra R Member

I'll be going on a road trip in a couple of weeks and I'm kind of worried. The one place I don't want attention is parking overnight in a motel parking lot. Gotta get me a car cover! Out of sight, out of mind -- hopefully!

Willie
honestly, a car cover would draw more attention, as that will DEFINITELY stick out like a sore thumb, and just draw people's curiousity even more.
Old 3/18/07, 04:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I thought of that too. Can't win scenario.... unless I can find a cover that's painted to look like an '83 Celebrity....

Willie
Old 3/18/07, 04:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah, I thought of that too. Can't win scenario.... unless I can find a cover that's painted to look like an '83 Celebrity....

Willie
A few options:
1) park next to a more expensive car.
2) park in PLAIN view where EVERYONE will see it, so that someone doesn't have a chance to mess around with it
3) sleep inside the car

A lot of it depends on what type of area you're going to. A few months back, my sister stayed in a hotel near Philly/NJ (I can't remember), and she saw a MAYBACH in the parking lot. So, it just depends on the environment.

Also, the other day, she went to a local outlet mall and saw a new Roush Stage 3. It was the nicest weekend day of the year thus far, so you know it was busy.
Old 3/18/07, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

That really sucks we worry about parking our cars...I seen a commercial that someone had a car cover that was old and ugly, like a 89 rust bucket. Pull the cover off and a new car was there...Very original and I only wish we could purchase something like that. I know off topic...
Old 3/18/07, 11:10 PM
Cobra R Member

I can't park my car anywhere either, I just drive it back home if I decide to go into any place. I went to play tennis with my fiancee andthis punk middle schooler picked up a rock and started laughing and walking towards my car, which was parked within eye site in the middle of nowheres ville, so we went to different courts, and thats only one story of a time I was P.O.ed with a situation like that.

I guess people are gonna say its only a car, but if he did it I would have thrown the rock at his face.
Old 3/19/07, 07:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The way I have my policy set-up, is I have coverage for the car and up to $5k in modifications and it didn't up my rate at all. Anything over the $5k and it would have though.