2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2005-2009 Ford Mustang S-197 Gen 1 Photo Gallery Lets see your latest pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/24, 04:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I'd also be overjoyed as well to have your Whipple setup.
Thank you, I like it.

Originally Posted by Gabe
Why do you feel the need for a Whipple?
A friend of mine has a 2006 with a Saleen blower, he's at about 525rwhp, automatic, over 100k miles on it, and it still roasts the tires at 60+ mph on the highway.
Funny.

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I Think He Was Merely Complementing Him Having a Blower Setup and The Car itself, Not Favoring The Whipple over His Saleen. But Rocky Can Confirm That.
The Clean Condition of Everything on This Car is So Over The Top It's Better Than Museum Quality Cause He Don't Even Let it Get Dusty!
KC
Ya I have to take it in today and get it aligned, the shop has a dirt parking lot. I'm dreading it.
Thank for the compliments guys.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (7/12/24)
Old 7/12/24, 10:15 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Why do you feel the need for a Whipple?

A friend of mine has a 2006 with a Saleen blower, he's at about 525rwhp, automatic, over 100k miles on it, and it still roasts the tires at 60+ mph on the highway.
Gabe! Perhaps you can find out from your friend for me about where exactly the oil fil plug is located on the Saleen blower, as I have no clue whatsoever where it's located... I also have concerns about the extremely loud rotor clash noises and also with the direction of the alternator being reversed.. This in my opinion causes the pulley to spin backwards which results in pushing airflow away from the alternator rather than pulling in airflow in order to prevent any potential overheating... The relocation of the alternator for the Saleen blower also limits the selection of aftermarket cold air intakes... As a direct result, I had to sell my Airaid cold air intake that was on my previous 2005 GT because the Airaid insert elbow tube would not fit properly once the alternator had been relocated for the Saleen setup...

Therefore, I had no other option left available, but to stick with the OEM Saleen airbox with the included Saleen intake elbow... In the meantime, if your able to pass on my concerns to your friend and then let me know if he's able to provide any feedback to you to pass onto me? I would really appreciate it...

-Rocky

I Think He Was Merely Complementing Him Having a Blower Setup and The Car itself, Not Favoring The Whipple over His Saleen. But Rocky Can Confirm That.

The Clean Condition of Everything on This Car is So Over The Top It's Better Than Museum Quality Cause He Don't Even Let it Get Dusty!

KC
Kevin! I can indeed confirm that you and Gabe are actually both right, as I was most definitely complementing Rod's Whipple setup while also favoring the Whipple over my Saleen for the concerns I stated above...
Perhaps Gabe's friend may be able to provide some positive feedback in addressing those concerns which hopefully may eliminate any remaining doubt regarding my current Saleen VI supercharger kit...

Originally Posted by rocknrod
Thank you, I like it.

Funny.

Ya I have to take it in today and get it aligned, the shop has a dirt parking lot. I'm dreading it.
Thank for the compliments guys.
Your very welcome!
Old 7/13/24, 07:33 AM
V6 Member

I didn't mean to do this right now I got up and asked myself how hard would it be to move the electrical bundles out of the way in case I wanted to remove the valve cover.
It got away from me.

tamstang_09 (7/13/24)
Old 7/13/24, 07:40 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Valve Cover Upgrade Time!

I Had a Polished Blower & Valve Covers Back in The Day on My GT/CS!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...3/#post5360808

KC
tamstang_09 (7/13/24)
Old 7/13/24, 01:26 PM
V6 Member

Valve Cover Upgrade Time!

I Had a Polished Blower & Valve Covers Back in The Day on My GT/CS!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...3/#post5360808

KC
I just got back from the powder-coating shop where I dropped off the valve covers. Should have them back this week.
Ordered the new Gaskets and Grommets, be here this week.
Old 7/13/24, 03:08 PM

KC
Old 7/13/24, 06:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Gabe! Perhaps you can find out from your friend for me about where exactly the oil fil plug is located on the Saleen blower, as I have no clue whatsoever where it's located... I also have concerns about the extremely loud rotor clash noises and also with the direction of the alternator being reversed.. This in my opinion causes the pulley to spin backwards which results in pushing airflow away from the alternator rather than pulling in airflow in order to prevent any potential overheating... The relocation of the alternator for the Saleen blower also limits the selection of aftermarket cold air intakes... As a direct result, I had to sell my Airaid cold air intake that was on my previous 2005 GT because the Airaid insert elbow tube would not fit properly once the alternator had been relocated for the Saleen setup...

Therefore, I had no other option left available, but to stick with the OEM Saleen airbox with the included Saleen intake elbow... In the meantime, if your able to pass on my concerns to your friend and then let me know if he's able to provide any feedback to you to pass onto me? I would really appreciate it...

-Rocky

Kevin! I can indeed confirm that you and Gabe are actually both right, as I was most definitely complementing Rod's Whipple setup while also favoring the Whipple over my Saleen for the concerns I stated above...
Perhaps Gabe's friend may be able to provide some positive feedback in addressing those concerns which hopefully may eliminate any remaining doubt regarding my current Saleen VI supercharger kit...

Your very welcome!

OK, so as far as the oil fill, my friend's reply: "it's buried. It is in the front of the blower down in the valley only way to get to it is to remove the coolant crossover,"

Also, "The alternator is a non issue they don't care which way the spin, mine has 80k on it,"

And "Some rotor clash with those is normal, obviously I can't hear it to tell"
Old 7/13/24, 09:51 PM

Gabe! This is exactly the main reason I don't like the design of the Saleen VI S/C is because of the oil fil location... I mean it's totally ridiculous that just in order to check the oil level, you have to first drain all the coolant, then uninstall the coolant crossover... Also, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the alternator also require being uninstalled in order to have access to the coolant crossover... Don't get me wrong, I haven't encountered any negative issues with the Saleen blower during the past 11 years I've owned my 2006 GT, but with now over 31k miles on a 18 year old Mustang, I am concerned that the Saleen blower may require a rebuild in the not too distant future... But overall, it's the design of the oil fil location which is the main factor and a complete PITA when it comes to performing just a simple maintenance task...

-Rocky
Old 7/13/24, 09:57 PM

Some Fyi On Related Supercharger Oil Info!

Seems To Vary a Bit I Would get the Lowdown From Saleen & Follow Their Recommendations!

https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...#post-10606321

KC
Old 7/13/24, 11:08 PM

Some Fyi On Related Supercharger Oil Info!

Seems To Vary a Bit I Would get the Lowdown From Saleen & Follow Their Recommendations!

https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...#post-10606321

KC
Good luck in getting any type of lowdown from Saleen, let alone any recommendations from them... After Saleen filed for bankruptcy between 2011-2012, all their technicians/engineers who designed the Saleen VI S/C went on to other companies... The chief designer for the Saleen VI S/C left to join Edelbrock who was responsible for designing the Edelbrock E-Force superchargers.. If by any chance you should get an opportunity to check out images of the Saleen VI S/C and Edelbrock E-Force S/C you'll notice just how similar they compare to one another in overall design...

Anyhow, trust me when I say that I've attempted to contact Saleen on many occasions over the years, half the time, you could never get a hold of a live representative nor would anyone provide a callback despite leaving numerous voice mail messages... When Saleen eventually recovered from Bankruptcy in 2015, I attempted to contact Saleen once again requesting feedback about the series VI supercharger...
Their response or rather their excuse this time around was all technicians who had direct knowledge/expertise with the Saleen series VI superchargers were no longer working for Saleen along with the fact that the Saleen VI superchargers were also discontinued and have been out of production since 2012...

So there you have it all in a nutshell...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/13/24 at 11:13 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM

Sorry To Poke The Bear! Just Trying To Help!

I Was Under The Impression You Were Pretty Fond Of Your Saleen Setup! Sorry to Hear of Your Customer Service Issues. Just Like Here on TMS Where a Lot of Times Actual Owner Experience Can Be Invaluable Perhaps The Saleen Site in Regards to any Blower Questions or Issues would Be Helpful. If You Have Already Been Down That Road Well You May Have To Be The Trailblazer if Something goes South With Your Setup! In Case You No Longer Have The Install Manual or Anybody Out There Needs One They Are Available at The Link Below!

The Owners Manual Has a Lot of Good Info. Also The Owners Site Should Be a Good Place To Get Some Info!

https://soec.org/literature/manuals/

Last Page of Install Manual Below!

Post-Installation Review
Listed below is important information about your supercharger kit. Please take the time to read the
information provided. If you are installing this kit, and not the vehicle owner, please keep this page
with the vehicle for the vehicle owner to review.
Post-Installation Review:
• Make sure that all electrical connections have been made
• Check the vehicle for any coolant or fuel leaks
• Verify that the intercooler water pump is running when the engine is running.
• Verify that all hazard lights (turn signals, parking lights, fog lights, etc…) are working properly.
Engine Maintenance & Care:
• Use 91 Octane fuel or higher when re-fueling the vehicle.
• Use 5w-30 weight motor oil (of the highest SAE rating) in the engine instead of the stock
recommended weight. As long as the engine is past the manufacturer recommended break-
in, Saleen recommends synthetic motor oil.
• Change the motor oil & filter every 3,000 miles. Oil capacity with filter change is 6 quarts.
• Change the spark plugs* every 50,000 miles.
• Clean and re-oil the air filter every 50,000 miles.

• Change the supercharger oil every 50,000 miles. Saleen recommends the use of
NYE Synthetic Oil #605 for the supercharger.

• Fill the intercooler system with a 50/50 mixture (anti-freeze / water).
*Saleen recommends the use of HTO spark plugs (Saleen Part# 00-1601-C13394*) with this kit, if your
vehicle is produced from 2005 to early model year 2008. The HTO spark plug will not fit vehicles
produced after December 1st 2007. To verify if your vehicle will accept HTO spark plugs, inspect a spark
plug coil. If the coil has a brown plastic sleeve, HTO plugs are not available. If the coil is all black and
does not have a brown sleeve, HTO plugs can be ordered through Saleen for your vehicle.
Contact Information:
If you have any additional questions or concerns about your new Saleen supercharger kit, please feel
free to contact us.
• Front Desk: 1-248-743-4800
• Tech Support: 1-800-888-8945 (option 4)
Again, Saleen would like to thank you for buying a 475HP Series VI Supercharger Kit. We hope you
enjoy your new product, and will consider us for all your future aftermarket needs.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Sorry To Poke The Bear! Just Trying To Help!

I Was Under The Impression You Were Pretty Fond Of Your Saleen Setup! Sorry to Hear of Your Customer Service Issues. Just Like Here on TMS Where a Lot of Times Actual Owner Experience Can Be Invaluable Perhaps The Saleen Site in Regards to any Blower Questions or Issues would Be Helpful. If You Have Already Been Down That Road Well You May Have To Be The Trailblazer if Something goes South With Your Setup! In Case You No Longer Have The Install Manual or Anybody Out There Needs One They Are Available at The Link Below!

The Owners Manual Has a Lot of Good Info. Also The Owners Site Should Be a Good Place To Get Some Info!

https://soec.org/literature/manuals/

Last Page of Install Manual Below!

Post-Installation Review
Listed below is important information about your supercharger kit. Please take the time to read the
information provided. If you are installing this kit, and not the vehicle owner, please keep this page
with the vehicle for the vehicle owner to review.
Post-Installation Review:
• Make sure that all electrical connections have been made
• Check the vehicle for any coolant or fuel leaks
• Verify that the intercooler water pump is running when the engine is running.
• Verify that all hazard lights (turn signals, parking lights, fog lights, etc…) are working properly.
Engine Maintenance & Care:
• Use 91 Octane fuel or higher when re-fueling the vehicle.
• Use 5w-30 weight motor oil (of the highest SAE rating) in the engine instead of the stock
recommended weight. As long as the engine is past the manufacturer recommended break-
in, Saleen recommends synthetic motor oil.
• Change the motor oil & filter every 3,000 miles. Oil capacity with filter change is 6 quarts.
• Change the spark plugs* every 50,000 miles.
• Clean and re-oil the air filter every 50,000 miles.

• Change the supercharger oil every 50,000 miles. Saleen recommends the use of
NYE Synthetic Oil #605 for the supercharger.

• Fill the intercooler system with a 50/50 mixture (anti-freeze / water).
*Saleen recommends the use of HTO spark plugs (Saleen Part# 00-1601-C13394*) with this kit, if your
vehicle is produced from 2005 to early model year 2008. The HTO spark plug will not fit vehicles
produced after December 1st 2007. To verify if your vehicle will accept HTO spark plugs, inspect a spark
plug coil. If the coil has a brown plastic sleeve, HTO plugs are not available. If the coil is all black and
does not have a brown sleeve, HTO plugs can be ordered through Saleen for your vehicle.
Contact Information:
If you have any additional questions or concerns about your new Saleen supercharger kit, please feel
free to contact us.
• Front Desk: 1-248-743-4800
• Tech Support: 1-800-888-8945 (option 4)
Again, Saleen would like to thank you for buying a 475HP Series VI Supercharger Kit. We hope you
enjoy your new product, and will consider us for all your future aftermarket needs.
Kevin, you didn't know the circumstances regarding the Saleen bankruptcy that took place during 2011-12 which led to many of the customer service and tech support reps that left who had direct knowledge/expertise with the Saleen series VI superchargers... Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, you weren't poking the bear, but rather being helpful, just like you always are, and for that, I'm always grateful...
Anyhow, it's not so much that I'm not fond of my Saleen supercharger, but it's mostly due to the lack of customer support thru Saleen and the maintenance factor which requires draining the coolant fluid, followed by uninstalling the alternator and then having to uninstall the coolant crossover pipe just in order to get access to the oil drain plug for checking the oil fluid level to make certain the fluid level is not low and for changing the oil at the recommended 50k miles...

In my honest opinion, nobody should have to go thru so much of a hassle just in order to perform a routine maintenance task, such as checking/maintaining their supercharger's oil fluid levels...

By the way, I've also been a long term forum member on the Saleen forums at https://www.saleenforums.soec.org/ but whenever attempting to log in, I always get database error issues, so I don't know if their site is down just temporarily or if its been taken down permanently At any rate, that's my rant for today regarding the design of the Saleen series VI supercharger along with Saleen's poor customer support...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; Yesterday at 12:24 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Gabe! This is exactly the main reason I don't like the design of the Saleen VI S/C is because of the oil fil location... I mean it's totally ridiculous that just in order to check the oil level, you have to first drain all the coolant, then uninstall the coolant crossover... Also, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the alternator also require being uninstalled in order to have access to the coolant crossover... Don't get me wrong, I haven't encountered any negative issues with the Saleen blower during the past 11 years I've owned my 2006 GT, but with now over 31k miles on a 18 year old Mustang, I am concerned that the Saleen blower may require a rebuild in the not too distant future... But overall, it's the design of the oil fil location which is the main factor and a complete PITA when it comes to performing just a simple maintenance task...

-Rocky
Yeah, it's a silly design for sure.
I like my drain/re-fill option on my Whipple, it's right on the front of the unit.

As far as any questions about the Saleen, there's a company out there that rebuilds them, best thing might be to contact them, you'll most likely get better answers than Saleen or whatever company he's running these days.

https://www.jonbondperformance.com/p...cture-rebuild/

Last edited by Gabe; Yesterday at 04:08 PM.
m05fastbackGT (Today)
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
V6 Member

Boy did I screw up. I got the valve covers back, metal flake silver and they pop. Put them on just for looks and now the intake, crossover and generator look sad. And they're clean. I'm not going to chase that tail, I've been guilty of it in the past and go down rabbit holes you wouldn't believe.

Last edited by rocknrod; Yesterday at 04:45 PM.
m05fastbackGT (Today)
Old Today, 04:31 PM

Yeah, it's a silly design for sure.
I like my drain/re-fill option on my Whipple, it's right on the front of the unit.

As far as any questions about the Saleen, there's a company out there that rebuilds them, best thing might be to contact them, you'll most likely get better answers than Saleen or whatever company he's running these days.

https://www.jonbondperformance.com/p...cture-rebuild/
Thanks, Gabe! I'm actually familiar with Jon Bond Performance, as I happen to know someone from my local car meet events who also has a Saleen VI S/C on his 2007 Saleen S281SC... He said that Jon Bond Performance rebuilt his Saleen VI S/C a couple of years ago and claims to be very satisfied and also recommended JBP to me... I guess that I must have forgotten, as I haven't seen him in over a year, but I will most definitely e-mail JBP and explain my concerns regarding the procedure for checking the Saleen's oil fluid levels...

And yes, it's most definitely a very silly design, to say the very least...LOL

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; Today at 04:34 PM.