2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

200 miles on a brand new car

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/07, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
200 miles on a brand new car

I didnt think much of it at the time, but after seeing some pics on this forum of the tachs on new cars below ten, it got me thinking. My car had 200 miles on it when i bought it new. I know theres nothing i can do about it now, but what do you think. ( i have almost 3k miles now)
Old 6/21/07, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Honestly, I just think it means your car was used for a lot of test drives if not used by someone in the company as a personal vehicle for a time or two. It can also mean your car was picked up at another store and instead of being trailored back to it's new home was driven their instead. My dad works at a car dealership and when they have to get new cars from other Hyundai dealerships, they usually get in the company vehicle to drive to that particular dealership then one person drives the new car back while the other drives the company car. Also it could mean your car was used for a lot of test drives as I touched on before. When I was looking for a Fusion last year and I test drove one it had about 700 miles on it but the dealership still considered it new (and not even a demo) so there could be a lot of factors. Nothing I would worry about however. If you haven't had any problems at this point, I would say that you're golden.
Old 6/21/07, 11:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Another possibility is that Ford pulls random cars off the line for what they call 'Quality Checks'. These lucky ones get a thourough inspection and several test drives to ensure that its defect free. Granted it may not be 200 miles worth of testing, but factor in a few test drives or a Dealer to Dealer trade and that's probably how you ended up with the mileage you had.

Bottom line, go out and enjoy your new car.
Old 6/21/07, 11:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan
I didnt think much of it at the time, but after seeing some pics on this forum of the tachs on new cars below ten, it got me thinking. My car had 200 miles on it when i bought it new. I know theres nothing i can do about it now, but what do you think. ( i have almost 3k miles now)
Ruh roh... This brings to mind a customer's Legend Lime GT that I got the chance to test drive before ordering mine. (As a matter of fact, that test drive is what sold the new 'Stang for me!)

The salesman, since he wasn't getting any commission for the car pretty much told me to flog the hell out of it. We roared up and down the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway), sailed over drainage ruts, blew the car through turns, redlined the tach many times, matted the gas to hear the exhaust, and basically had a grand old time.

After my test drive, the car was loaded on to a car carrier and was off to its new home (and presumably, anxious buyer waiting for his "brand new" car...) I watched it go while I was signing the order papers in the sales office.

For that reason I demanded that MY car be secured after transport. I didn't want someone beating on MY car in that way! I had only 3 miles on the odometer when I took delivery.

Sorry man... I feel for you.
Old 6/21/07, 12:05 PM

When I test drove an '07 GT, just to make sure the ride quality, interior quality, comfort, etc were up to par before ordering my '08 GT, I babied the car. It only had 50 miles on it and I didn't want to bash on someone's future baby before it was properly broken in... I've already done enough online specification-whoring to know that the engine performance will satisfy me.

That doesn't make me a better person.. A year ago I raped a brand new '06 RSX-S with 2 miles on it, not knowing how to shift properly, downshfting from 6th to 3rd in confusion, stalling about 10x times, etc, during the test drive. God, I'm such a noob.
Old 6/21/07, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

My car had 70 miles on it brand new..
Old 6/21/07, 12:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
Ruh roh... This brings to mind a customer's Legend Lime GT that I got the chance to test drive before ordering mine. (As a matter of fact, that test drive is what sold the new 'Stang for me!)

The salesman, since he wasn't getting any commission for the car pretty much told me to flog the hell out of it. We roared up and down the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway), sailed over drainage ruts, blew the car through turns, redlined the tach many times, matted the gas to hear the exhaust, and basically had a grand old time.

After my test drive, the car was loaded on to a car carrier and was off to its new home (and presumably, anxious buyer waiting for his "brand new" car...) I watched it go while I was signing the order papers in the sales office.

For that reason I demanded that MY car be secured after transport. I didn't want someone beating on MY car in that way! I had only 3 miles on the odometer when I took delivery.

Sorry man... I feel for you.
Why would you drive someone else's car like that. I guess you are due for a tech joyride in the future. You have no problems beating up on someone elses vehice(meaning ANY unsold vehicle) yet it bugs you to have a good flogging on yours

We do not allow that **** on test drives.

In actuality, it wont hurt anything anyway, I did a burnout in mine with 3 miles on it. Most of the time mileage is a DX or a manager taking one on an overnight. We have a little old lady here that takes one to a car show or parade every now and then.
Old 6/21/07, 12:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i drove my car off the lot with 35 miles on it and now i only have around 8300 miles on it since March 6, 2006 when i bought it, the car was built on February 12, 2006
Old 6/21/07, 02:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Whoa, triple post, sorry...
Old 6/21/07, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oops... how did I do that?
Old 6/21/07, 02:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Why would you drive someone else's car like that. I guess you are due for a tech joyride in the future. You have no problems beating up on someone elses vehice(meaning ANY unsold vehicle) yet it bugs you to have a good flogging on yours

We do not allow that **** on test drives.

In actuality, it wont hurt anything anyway, I did a burnout in mine with 3 miles on it. Most of the time mileage is a DX or a manager taking one on an overnight. We have a little old lady here that takes one to a car show or parade every now and then.
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Actually, on test drives I usually don't want to abuse a car that is someone else's future new ride.

However, the salesman goaded me! The salesman! The salesman! The salesman!

The salesman was the reason I wanted to make DOUBLE SURE that no one flogged MY car!
Old 6/21/07, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan

I would trade it in, get a nice fresh one!

As my dad always told me about his cars in the sixties "I traded them in as soon as the ashtray was full"
Old 6/21/07, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Another possibility is that Ford pulls random cars off the line for what they call 'Quality Checks'. These lucky ones get a thourough inspection and several test drives to ensure that its defect free. Granted it may not be 200 miles worth of testing, but factor in a few test drives or a Dealer to Dealer trade and that's probably how you ended up with the mileage you had.

Bottom line, go out and enjoy your new car.
I agree with Bill. And don't look back, just forward, enjoy the new lady, she's going to be very good to you thats for sure.
Old 6/21/07, 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya, this certianly isnt bothering me as much as my wheel choice
Old 6/21/07, 04:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Actually, on test drives I usually don't want to abuse a car that is someone else's future new ride.

However, the salesman goaded me! The salesman! The salesman! The salesman!

The salesman was the reason I wanted to make DOUBLE SURE that no one flogged MY car!
I don't abuse test drives either; I drive it like I would want mine driven.

But, salesmen are funny sometimes... I went to a VW dealer once, and test drove a GTI 1.8T. The saleman told me to get on it as hard as I wanted. I didn't... but then, when we returned, I asked if they had a VR6 I could drive for comparison...

The salesman wheels a VR6 around and we head out. Again, he tells me to beat on it. I say, "No, I'm good... I wouldn't want to flog someone's future car." He replied, "Don't worry about it, this is my personal car, go nuts!"

Sombody reeeeeeaaallllyyy wanted a sale!
Old 6/21/07, 05:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Mustang05
My car had 70 miles on it brand new..
62 when new for me....
Old 6/21/07, 05:45 PM
GT Member

I drive the !&$? out of demo cars. I wouldn't buy a car without knowing how she feels ***** to the wall. That is exactly what sold me on the new Stang.

I test drove an automatic vert GT and it wouldn't even squeal the tires. (3 people in the car though). I told another salesman about the auto and he took me for a little drive in the 5 speed GT. This guy revved it up to about 5K and dumped the clutch with TSC off and laid a sweet patch. Then he let me drive it hard. I signed the papers for a brand new 07 as soon as I got back to the dealership. I also told them I didn't want anybody driving my new car. I had 40 kms on the car new.

You know what you are buying when you buy a demo or test driver. That's why you get somewhat of a discount on the car. I don't feel bad at all considering the dealership just made $38,000 CAN on my car.
Old 6/21/07, 07:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You bought a car for $38K over invoice?

I'd bet Art's salesperson is long, long gone from that dealer.

I like your avitar Neil

My bro is supposed to photochop wrenches in my hands so it looks like me when I work on cars...
Old 6/21/07, 07:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 347strokin
You know what you are buying when you buy a demo or test driver. That's why you get somewhat of a discount on the car.
Well sort of...
We had a brand new '97 Cobra at our dealership. 305hp 32V
The owner put a S/C on it and trailered it to the drag strip all summer.
He then took off the S/C and sold it as a demo in the fall.
Old 6/21/07, 08:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by karman
Well sort of...
We had a brand new '97 Cobra at our dealership. 305hp 32V
The owner put a S/C on it and trailered it to the drag strip all summer.
He then took off the S/C and sold it as a demo in the fall.
Note to self: Buy NO cars from Nashua Ford.

Quick Reply: 200 miles on a brand new car