2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2 Shelby inspired machines

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/06, 09:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow....some major droolage there. Danke.
Old 5/4/06, 01:57 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been planning my kit build for a while too, although I like the looks of the 289's a little better. If I could find a slab-side kit I'd get that, but I think the only one's from Kirkham, and I can't afford an all aluminum body. I'll go with the FIA instead. Not sure when I'm going to get started, but hopefully in the next year or so. Love them all though, and I'm sure I'll change my mind at least 3 more times before I get the kit purchased.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

love the pic of the two side by side, they're both beautiful cars.
Old 5/4/06, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Big-Foot @ May 3, 2006, 1:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
FFR's quality is just fine and for performance (racing purposes) cannot be beaten by any of the other Cobra Replica companies. I know - I race one in the Factory Five Challenge Series.

Certainly when you buy a kit the quality of the end product is in direct proportion to the builder's talent.

You could very easily go plunk down 50k on a Superformance roller and stuff a greasy old 200k mile Taxi-Cab engine in it. What would you say about Superformance then??

Unless you have owned / built either an FFR or Superformance - your opinion is yours and yours alone and worth about as much as we have paid for it..
[/b][/quote]

That doesn't make any sense. Why would you put a taxi cab engine in a 50k kit car? Then you could say the same about the Factory Five.

I've been to the Dream Cruise several times and have seen what the factory five kits have to offer. For the most part, the interior components look cheap and unauthentic. Of course, that could be the builders preference, but what comes rolling out of a Superformance factory is first class.

A family member of mine owns a Superformance cobra with a 460 ford and if I saw an original (which I have) and compared the two the only obvious difference is the engine and the radiator.
Old 5/4/06, 07:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tech @ May 4, 2006, 5:42 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've been to the Dream Cruise several times and have seen what the factory five kits have to offer. For the most part, the interior components look cheap and unauthentic. Of course, that could be the builders preference, but what comes rolling out of a Superformance factory is first class.
[/b][/quote]

What someone puts in the interior obviously would influence the look. In terms of the frame engineering and body parts, the Factory Five kit is nice for the money. They have done a great job of improving over the last few years.

The Superformance replica, at the price that is charged, would obviously have an advantage in some departments.

Factory Five did a breakthrough job in making affordable Cobra replicas that would be sustainable for a reasonable cost.

What did you think looked unauthentic?
Old 5/4/06, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Alonso @ May 4, 2006, 9:17 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What someone puts in the interior obviously would influence the look. In terms of the frame engineering and body parts, the Factory Five kit is nice for the money. They have done a great job of improving over the last few years.

The Superformance replica, at the price that is charged, would obviously have an advantage in some departments.

Factory Five did a breakthrough job in making affordable Cobra replicas that would be sustainable for a reasonable cost.

What did you think looked unauthentic?
[/b][/quote]

I didn't like the seats, harnesses, shifter, gauges, steering wheel and dash. I know that's pretty much all of it, but it just looked cheap to me. Two things that I liked in the Superformance (and these are not big price items) were the solid wood steering wheel that looked like the one used in the original AC car, and the Smiths gauges. I'm sure all of us can go back and forth all day about cost and affordability. But, if your going to get a replica, wouldn't people want it to look original and not pieced together? Like I said, these are just my opinions. But if you going to do it, you might as well do it right.
Old 5/4/06, 09:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tech @ May 4, 2006, 8:41 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I didn't like the seats, harnesses, shifter, gauges, steering wheel and dash. I know that's pretty much all of it, but it just looked cheap to me. Two things that I liked in the Superformance (and these are not big price items) were the solid wood steering wheel that looked like the one used in the original AC car, and the Smiths gauges. I'm sure all of us can go back and forth all day about cost and affordability. But, if your going to get a replica, wouldn't people want it to look original and not pieced together? Like I said, these are just my opinions. But if you going to do it, you might as well do it right.
[/b][/quote]

The Superformance is definitely in a different league.

Some of those items on the Factory Five can be easily replaced with different parts. Factory Five does have an option for Smith gauges. The beauty of that kit is that do-it-yourselfers can upgrade or keep what they want from the donor Mustang car.

These two cars are definitely different strokes for different folks.
Old 5/4/06, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tech @ May 4, 2006, 9:41 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Tony Alonso hit on a number of points. I'll address a couple more.

The Wooden Steering wheel supplied by FFR is an authentic Motolita manufactured wheel. The Headlamps, tail lamps, windshield and frame - all true to original spec down to the brass used in the windshield framework and stainless steel in head/taillamp rings. Mirrors - identical..
The seats - Actually I am very surprised that you would find them un-original. They are as close to true original as you can get without going back in time and retreiving a set from an original (not CSX) Cobra. The original seats were absolutely terrible in quality. Admittedly the FFR Seats are not a heck of a lot better.
Let's go to the Monza fuel filler - same mfgr as Shelby used on the original. Perfect match right down to the thread pitch from the base / cap interface..
Harnesses? You would really want the crappy harnesses that were available in 1965? The harnesses supplied by FFR are Simpson. While I don't particularly care for Simpson - they are more than adequate.
Shifter? Well, if you choose to use a Top-Loader 4speed, you can implement the very same shifter Shelby did. If you want to use a modern overdrive trans like the Tremec TR3550 I use or the T5, you can use the FFR supplied forward facing shifter and for a small upgrade get one with a faux reverse lockout.

It's all in what you do with what you buy. In my book, the only way you can go wrong with an FFR is if you are such a purist that nothing but the original will do. In that case, you shouldn't be looking at anything other than a 100k+ CSX car available from Shelby today.

BTW - Kirkham also has some VERY nice cars that are exceptionally close to original in spec and also available with an all aluminum body.