2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

113 Fahrenheit + 100 MPH= Tire Blowout

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/08, 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
35 psi wouldn't be enough to do that. Factory spec's 32. We run our tires during autocross at 35-40PSI and slide alround all day getting the tires as hot as a heat gun, they never gave out like that. If they were really low, you could have ended up rolling over the sidewall but looking at that sidewall... Very interesting.
Old 5/25/08, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35 psi wouldn't be enough to do that. Factory spec's 32. We run our tires during autocross at 35-40PSI and slide alround all day getting the tires as hot as a heat gun, they never gave out like that. If they were really low, you could have ended up rolling over the sidewall but looking at that sidewall... Very interesting.
The more I see my tire, the more I think I had a deffective one... the damaged area is only at the sidewall, there is no other affected area...
Old 5/26/08, 05:35 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I am curious about the rim and tire sizes.
As for the speed, there may have been more damage to the car but I don't see the safety concern.
As long as you are not in a sharp turn, you should be able to control the car.
Personally, I have driven from LA to LV in a Taurus with the cruise set @90mph in the summer and that is not a short trip.
Old 5/26/08, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
I am curious about the rim and tire sizes.
As for the speed, there may have been more damage to the car but I don't see the safety concern.
As long as you are not in a sharp turn, you should be able to control the car.
Personally, I have driven from LA to LV in a Taurus with the cruise set @90mph in the summer and that is not a short trip.
I honestly think it was over inflated. What was the temperature when you checked the pressure? If it was significantly less then the tire pressure could have raised combined with the heat of running at a high speed, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 5/26/08, 09:18 PM

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']These are the specs of the wheels and tires "18x9 Shelby Torq-Thrust M Anthracite" and "[/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif']255/45ZR18 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 Blackwall"...
I honestly think it was over inflated. What was the temperature when you checked the pressure? If it was significantly less then the tire pressure could have raised combined with the heat of running at a high speed, it wouldn't surprise me.
The last time I checked the tires the temp was about 84-86... [/FONT]
Old 5/26/08, 09:34 PM
V6 Member

Probably the heat. I used to pull a trailer that had bias ply tube tires. That summer saw over two months of 100-110 degree days. The tire would blow like crazy because of the heat. The owner of the company was too cheap to buy radials.
Old 5/26/08, 10:01 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm never quick to jump on the "its defective" bandwagon, but I might would call BFG, those are good tires, and that is a unique blowout. Dont tell them the 100mph part tho.
Old 5/27/08, 02:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

i drive a truck for a living the number one cause of blowouts is underinflation yes under
the tire flexes and builds heat quickly it doesnt take long
Old 5/27/08, 04:36 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
I was in Monterrey a couple years ago- I swear they use bottle caps/nuts/bolts/wire instead of gravel in their blacktop...in town EVERY intersection you stop at look at the pavement- always a bunch of junk rolled into the asphalt...cant help but wonder if maybe something didnt just stick up enough to snag the thin sidewall- at that speed might not take much of a impact to slice a tire?
Old 5/27/08, 05:09 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I don't like the chunk missing from the rim of the tire. Could've been a crack there, and with the increased pressure from your speed and the heat, that could be the source of the problem.

Either way, glad to see you're alright.
Old 5/27/08, 10:05 PM

Well, I e-mailed to a Customer Service Representative of the site where I bought the tire, here is the answer..

"Good afternoon Mr. Salomon,

The term "blowout" is generally used by drivers to describe a bursting tire accompanied by a rapid loss of air pressure. While one might assume that all blowouts are caused by too much internal pressure bursting a weak spot in the tire, the main reason for them is just the opposite. Most blowouts are caused by too little air pressure allowing the tire to flex beyond its elastic limits until it overheats to the point where the rubber loses its bond to the internal fabric and steel cord reinforcement.
Tire blowouts are usually the result of overloading the vehicle, impact damage (either immediate or delayed depending on severity of the impact), a massive cut that causes rapid air loss, or an unnoticed small puncture that allows the tire to slowly lose air over time until it fails. Blowouts are typically caused by anything that allows air to escape and prevents the tire from supporting the weight of the vehicle.

Unfortunately, these tires do not have a road hazard warranty. Therefore we are unable to send you a free tire."

I'll contact BFG..
Old 5/28/08, 10:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
They are probably right, but would still need to prove the cause of a loss of air. Sometimes you can get lucky and they wont find anything. But like I mentioned before, there is a good chance somewhere in the tread youll find a puncture. Sometimes it takes looking at the tire from the inside to find these, but Im a pro at it
Old 5/30/08, 01:02 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I dont think tire pressure was bad either way, 35 psi is a bit over stock, but the speed wasn't a big issue per BFG's reccomendations the tire could have been run at the factory air pressure at 100% load well above 100 mph (although the W rated tires must have thier pressure increase at speeds above 118 vs. the Y rated tires which can go considerably higher at stock pressures). The tires can be inflated to to 51 psi max, even if it was filled with crappy humidty laden air I doubt the tires increased more than 5 or 6 psi over cold inflation pressures.

The tire didn't look like it had run very long before the blow out (the sidewall would be scuffed pretty bad if it was running low for some time) - it looks that way at least? Is there a pretty heavy ridge in the tire?

How was the tire mounted - there is always the possibility that the bead was some how damaged during installation which coud have lead to the blow out, and for that matter what are the rim dimensions?

Last edited by bob; 5/30/08 at 01:09 AM.
Old 5/30/08, 07:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Still waiting on what size tire it was
Old 5/30/08, 08:58 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
He posted tire and wheel specs already:

These are the specs of the wheels and tires "18x9 Shelby Torq-Thrust M Anthracite" and "255/45ZR18 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 Blackwall" (there was some font code in the middle that might have caused you to overlook it).
Old 5/30/08, 09:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jayguy
He posted tire and wheel specs already:

These are the specs of the wheels and tires "18x9 Shelby Torq-Thrust M Anthracite" and "255/45ZR18 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 Blackwall" (there was some font code in the middle that might have caused you to overlook it).

Ah, or the fact I dont get all the emails about the thread being replied too also.

Wish you were close to me, I'd love to take a look at the damaged tire.
Old 5/31/08, 10:19 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Rim was in spec - the tire is designed to fit a 8.0-9.5" rim so its good there.

There is also the possibility that the tire could have been damaged previously in operation. Something could have damaged the sidewall without causing the tire to fail at the time. Bubbles or big bulges are pretty easy to spot, the harder sidewall damage shows up a slight verticle bulge (indentions are generally okay - this is typically an area where sidewall plies have been overlapped) A cut might have gone unnoticed as well.

Any word from BFGoodrich?
Old 6/1/08, 09:10 AM

I had not e-mailed BFG yet because I want to take more photos of the tire first, but since my car is at the dealer waiting to the insurance to approve the reparations I hadnt found the time to get them...

I wash my car every weekend, so I am very aware of every little damage it gets... rockchips ( a lot) , scratches, etc... I can assure the tires where perfect (no cuts, bubbles, etc.)

once I get more pics of the tire I will post them...
The only thing for sure is that I will need to spend the money I was saving for the next mod in the repairs