2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

08 Horn Issues

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/21, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Horn Issues

My horn went out after going through some water so I thought to replace the horn itself, but the horn is fine. Tested it with the battery. Checked the fuse & relay & they're not blown. Tested the current going from the fuse box to the horn & that is fine. Some were saying to check the clock spring, but my cruise control works & my airbag sign is not on. Steering wheel is not difficult to turn nor does it make noise. I don't have any check engine lights for it. I'm thinking that the wire got some water to it & maybe needs to be tended to. Anyone have some thoughts on it? & a diagram for the horn wiring maybe? Let me know what info to provide about my car. This is my first time on a forum for any vehicle.
Old 8/16/21, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Figured I'd reply here instead than the other thread, Clover.

You can find in that website I listed all the wiring you need. Just have to poke about until you find it. But I've put the link for ya here for the horn:
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Horn,%2...ighter.pdf&p=1

They're still right to check the clockspring as it's entirely possible just that one wire is a problem, either in the clockspring itself or the connectors involved. It could also be the horn 'switch' assembly, which is more a big floating bracket that just happens to ground out when you push on the airbag, tada, horn. Perhaps that wire is not happy.

Hope that helps!
The following users liked this post:
Cloverbell (8/16/21)
Old 8/16/21, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
Figured I'd reply here instead than the other thread, Clover.

You can find in that website I listed all the wiring you need. Just have to poke about until you find it. But I've put the link for ya here for the horn:
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Horn,%2...ighter.pdf&p=1

They're still right to check the clockspring as it's entirely possible just that one wire is a problem, either in the clockspring itself or the connectors involved. It could also be the horn 'switch' assembly, which is more a big floating bracket that just happens to ground out when you push on the airbag, tada, horn. Perhaps that wire is not happy.

Hope that helps!
Yes that helps a lot! Thank you. Been having issues looking stuff up.
I wanted to ask you what you mean by the "switch"? & the ground for the clockspring is right in front of it before removing the steering wheel right? Or should I check behind the clockspring too?
Old 8/16/21, 07:50 PM

New question now, just finished checking it & the ground & switch are fine. I think I need to replace the clock spring itself... I found one on a website called getoemparts.com is that a trusted & reliable website? No scams? AmericanMuscle.com is out of stock & I'm on a 2 week time limit to get this done.
Old 8/17/21, 09:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Never heard of them. I'd suggest a motorcraft one of course, 6R3Z-14A664-AA. Tasca, Lakeland, a Ford dealership, LMR, CJPony... eBay... maybe even Amazon?

CJ's has it in stock they say right now (as I type this). 'Course it's 100 bucks, compared to Tasca, whom I don't know if they have it in stock.
Old 8/19/21, 11:58 AM

Thank you! I decided to just go with the dealership. I've already ordered the part & it's being delivered. If it's not the clockspring what could it be?
Old 8/19/21, 09:37 PM

Okay so I'm at a loss... I replaced the clockspring & the horn still doesn't work. What can it be?? The springs under the airbag?
Old 8/20/21, 01:05 PM

Checked the horn switch & nope, that's fine too. The only other things I can think to do without a big purchase is trace the wiring & take the junction box out & clean it. If it still doesn't work after that... maybe replace the junction box, but everything else works perfectly fine. No lights on the dashboard no issues with the windows or lights. I just don't want to trace the wiring haha
Old 8/20/21, 03:38 PM

Never heard of them. I'd suggest a motorcraft one of course, 6R3Z-14A664-AA. Tasca, Lakeland, a Ford dealership, LMR, CJPony... eBay... maybe even Amazon?

CJ's has it in stock they say right now (as I type this). 'Course it's 100 bucks, compared to Tasca, whom I don't know if they have it in stock.

So while cleaning the junction box I found this one single broken prong. Would this matter? Could this be causing my issue?

Old 8/21/21, 12:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Um... that SJB looks a little more concerning than just a horn problem. Notice the bottom of the picture between the 102 chips? That doesn't look like dirt, that looks like a burnt up tracer... perhaps it's the lighting... But there are also plenty of green nasties looks like, and definitely that one pin could be an issue having broken off. I mean, it's green all the way across. Not good.

You need to get the wiring diagram out and see what that pin is. Perhaps you can fashion a disconnectable jumper wire to mitigate the problem. For now. What I'm seeing doesn't fill me with confidence about the future, to be honest. You might need an SJB is what I'm sayin'. I'm not sure I'd be terribly trusting of this one without a thorough check/cleaning/repair by a very reputable electronics person. But sometimes you gotta work with what you got, so jumper it may have to be...

Water's definitely getting somewhere it shouldn't, looks like. Might need to look at that while you have the SJB out. Run water from a hose at the top of the windshield and see if ... well, actually 'where'... water's gettin' in and address that.

Last edited by houtex; 8/21/21 at 12:59 PM.
Old 8/23/21, 06:09 PM

Um... that SJB looks a little more concerning than just a horn problem. Notice the bottom of the picture between the 102 chips? That doesn't look like dirt, that looks like a burnt up tracer... perhaps it's the lighting... But there are also plenty of green nasties looks like, and definitely that one pin could be an issue having broken off. I mean, it's green all the way across. Not good.

You need to get the wiring diagram out and see what that pin is. Perhaps you can fashion a disconnectable jumper wire to mitigate the problem. For now. What I'm seeing doesn't fill me with confidence about the future, to be honest. You might need an SJB is what I'm sayin'. I'm not sure I'd be terribly trusting of this one without a thorough check/cleaning/repair by a very reputable electronics person. But sometimes you gotta work with what you got, so jumper it may have to be...

Water's definitely getting somewhere it shouldn't, looks like. Might need to look at that while you have the SJB out. Run water from a hose at the top of the windshield and see if ... well, actually 'where'... water's gettin' in and address that.

Yeah... I already prepared myself for that... I have to wait until I can get the money for a new SJB. I did want to ask what to look for when buying a new one. I heard to look for one that matches my product code & then I will have to reprogram it, but how do I do that?? Is that something I can do or am I forced to take it to a dealership? Another issue is I found the broken prong... stuck inside the connector... tried to get it out & now it's shoved deeper inside. How can I remove it? Or should I even bother with it? Does it have to be removed before putting a new SJB? I was thinking of cutting off some of the wires from an old mustang & just rewiring it to have a new connector. I haven't checked where the water is leaking into my car from yet, but I did find a huge blockage of leaves & mud.
Old 8/23/21, 09:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

SJB if not exactly (and I mean *exactly*, in every way except colors and seat material) the same build as your current car will have to be programmed to work with the car. You want any SJB that's your year or newer. The '09 is the one to get, but the '08 and '07 should be acceptable too, IIRC.

To program it, you'll need an appropriately fancy scan tool, either an actual Ford one or maybe one of those uber Autels or something. IDK for sure, ain't done it myself. Might can do with with ForScan (a Ford-centric scan-tool type program that's out there, free, but need to buy a couple of particular cables to make it work... which I have, but I just ain't got around to playin' with it yet), but I just don't know enough about that.

For sure a dealership can program it, and you can acquire the part and pay them to do it, or pay them for the whole thing, lock stock and barrel.
Old 8/24/21, 06:42 PM

SJB if not exactly (and I mean *exactly*, in every way except colors and seat material) the same build as your current car will have to be programmed to work with the car. You want any SJB that's your year or newer. The '09 is the one to get, but the '08 and '07 should be acceptable too, IIRC.

To program it, you'll need an appropriately fancy scan tool, either an actual Ford one or maybe one of those uber Autels or something. IDK for sure, ain't done it myself. Might can do with with ForScan (a Ford-centric scan-tool type program that's out there, free, but need to buy a couple of particular cables to make it work... which I have, but I just ain't got around to playin' with it yet), but I just don't know enough about that.

For sure a dealership can program it, and you can acquire the part and pay them to do it, or pay them for the whole thing, lock stock and barrel.

Dang okay, thanks for the info. For now it's going to have to be put on hold until I can get the money for a new one. Any ideas on how to get that prong out of the terminal? Today a new problem arose. With I think my ac compressor. Should I make a new post for that?
Old 8/24/21, 10:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Prong: Don't really know. You'd have to disassemble it probably.

New problem: Yes. Always one problem per thread, keeps us less confused dont'cha know.
Old 8/28/21, 12:41 AM

Prong: Don't really know. You'd have to disassemble it probably.

New problem: Yes. Always one problem per thread, keeps us less confused dont'cha know.

Would I be able to disassemble it without destroying it?? It's one of those connectors that have the latch you have to pull that pushes it out of its spot. That type that won't let go easy. I wanted to remove the one wire itself that is where the prong is but can't see how to remove it under that latch.

& okay! I'll make the new post later. Thann you!
Old 8/28/21, 11:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Never done one. I'd assume there's a way to separate things, just be careful, considerate of the plastics/metal/? and if it feels wrong, it probably is and you should stop and reevaluate. Be not scared, what's the worst that could happen? It's still broken? It's already broken. Can't hurt to try and you'll still be in the same place if it doesn't work. Get to tryin!
Old 9/19/21, 09:23 PM

Never done one. I'd assume there's a way to separate things, just be careful, considerate of the plastics/metal/? and if it feels wrong, it probably is and you should stop and reevaluate. Be not scared, what's the worst that could happen? It's still broken? It's already broken. Can't hurt to try and you'll still be in the same place if it doesn't work. Get to tryin!

Haha yup continued to try & the best thing even a mechanic could figure out to do it just push that prong all the way to the back through the terminal & clean the terminal really well. He said as long as there is clearance for the junction box it should work.
Old 2/11/24, 06:05 PM
Banned

Horn mysteries after water adventures can be quite the puzzle, huh? You've covered a lot of bases – kudos! For the wiring, it might be worth checking if water got into any connectors.

Last edited by AlexaGood; 2/11/24 at 06:07 PM.