2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

08 Gt Or Wait????

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/07, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Gt Or Wait????

hey guys i just turned 19 my dad got me a 05 torch red v6 mustang when i got my licence ive bin saving my money for a year now and im really close to having enough to get a fully loaded GT im going to wait for an 08 gt because of all the new options i love the GT and i think it is the nicest muscle car for the money and looks me and my dad drewl over them as soon as they pass by but heres the problem ........the new camaro and the new challanger will easly have 400 horsepower and they are right around the conor yes i know the cobra has 500 but no one in there right mind is going to shell out 50,000 for that car when the new camaro will be right up its *** for a price tag of mid 30.000 well i guess the real question is..........do u think ford has somthing up its sleve they cant take the back seat in the muscle car race can they???? is the boss coming??? is that 5.4 natural aspirated motor going to be droped in a GT to compet or is ford really that lost ?????..............or do i just go for the 08 300hp GT and hang my head when the GTO CAMARO AND CHALLANGER DRIVE BY ????
Old 6/3/07, 09:07 PM
GT Member

I don't see Ford increasing the horsepower on the GT to anywhere near 400 horse for 2008 if they increase it at all. If you definitely want the Mustang buy a new GT and take out an extra $5000 and get the power you want. Then you won't be hanging your head when the other big boys wanna go. And you'll still have power to play.
Old 6/3/07, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't put that much faith in the Camaro to start with, and everything DCX makes is pretty awful.
Old 6/4/07, 06:32 AM
Cobra Member

I suggest waiting till September, to see if Ford has one of those 0% for 72 month specials again. If not, I would wait for the new face-lift(2009/2010) Mustang, which is rumored to have a H.P. increase.

I am one of those guys that have been screaming for a 350-400HP SE Mustang, but who knows if and when we will see one. Plus, the price tags on these new Mustangs continue to rise, so I just may purchase a 09/10 Mustang GT.
Old 6/4/07, 08:23 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what's I've been thinking too! Not sure if I'd like to go with a new 08 GT, or a cheaper 07, or just wait? But it's cheaper to wait!

I read that the new Camero won't be out untill spring of 2009 now, which is a ways out. Maybe too long to wait?

Originally Posted by GTJOHN
I suggest waiting till September, to see if Ford has one of those 0% for 72 month specials again. If not, I would wait for the new face-lift(2009/2010) Mustang, which is rumored to have a H.P. increase.

I am one of those guys that have been screaming for a 350-400HP SE Mustang, but who knows if and when we will see one. Plus, the price tags on these new Mustangs continue to rise, so I just may purchase a 09/10 Mustang GT.
Old 6/4/07, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I'd go for the Challenger in a heartbeat.............
Old 6/4/07, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

+1 on Challenger...or wait till the 09/10's come out... Chevy sucks... so no to the Camero!
Old 6/4/07, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

The Challenger is a great looking car. A couple of things to consider: 1. It will be heavy which means poor mileage. 2. Initially it will most likely command premium prices.
Old 6/4/07, 10:41 AM

Yeah, I think I read that it would be around 40k when they first come out. I wouldn't be surprized if it was true!

Originally Posted by stangster
The Challenger is a great looking car. A couple of things to consider: 1. It will be heavy which means poor mileage. 2. Initially it will most likely command premium prices.
Old 6/4/07, 10:50 AM
Cobra Member

If it comes with 425hp, it will be right on par with the other SRT8's.
For the most part, both GM & Chrysler have done a good job pricing their performance cars. But, after seeing what Mustang buyers are willing to overpay, you can be sure both GM & Chrysler will raise their prices!
Old 6/4/07, 12:04 PM

Easy solution.
Get a 03/04 cobra
insurance is actually cheaper than an 06
Old 6/5/07, 06:43 AM
GT Member

The Challenger will be just another Dodge heavy pig of a car. Lots of power but it wont handle.
Old 6/5/07, 10:47 AM

It did look kind of heavy, plus it won't be out for a while.

Maybe Ford will come out with some special versions of the Mustang in order to compete? It could be pretty cool!

Originally Posted by 347strokin
The Challenger will be just another Dodge heavy pig of a car. Lots of power but it wont handle.
Old 6/5/07, 06:18 PM
GT Member

This is way off topic, but I just saw a Dodge Avenger today. I know they're not a performance car or anything but they sure do look wimpy. I thought they could have styled it a little more aggressively with a name like that.
Old 6/5/07, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

its up to you really, but if you get an '08 you will really only have 2 years to enjoy the style until the new mustang comes out an then you will be stuck with an old model.
Old 6/5/07, 07:23 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Tampa07GTCS
+1 on Challenger...or wait till the 09/10's come out... Chevy sucks... so no to the Camero!
The Camaro will be much better than the Challenger, overall, and more attainable. Challengers will not be getting V6s, will be produced in limited quanities, and thus have horrendous ADMs on them.

The Camaro will have more iterations and be much more directly comparable to the Mustang.

The Camaro is also based off of GM's new Zeta platform, widely regarded as one of the best new platforms on the market. Challenger will be based off of the platform that underpins the 300C, which is fine, but several years old now, and definitely not the equal of the Zeta setup. Despite those who hate Chevy and love the Challenger (I like the design of the Dodge, too), the simple reality is that the Camaro will be the more advanced car from an engineering and technology standpoint.

The Camaro will also be closer to the Stang in size. The Challenger will be a parade float.
Old 6/6/07, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the info Hollywood. I'd rather have a Camero myself then a Challenger, but I'm not sure I want to wait another year and a half for one.

Plus, they might be expensive, and hard to fond when they first come out. Also, I'm not sure about Chevy's reliability. My Mustang has been pretty good in that regard.......

How about this? Maybe just get an 08 GT, and then if you want a Camero after they have been out for a year or so, then trade in the GT for it?

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
The Camaro will be much better than the Challenger, overall, and more attainable. Challengers will not be getting V6s, will be produced in limited quanities, and thus have horrendous ADMs on them.

The Camaro will have more iterations and be much more directly comparable to the Mustang.

The Camaro is also based off of GM's new Zeta platform, widely regarded as one of the best new platforms on the market. Challenger will be based off of the platform that underpins the 300C, which is fine, but several years old now, and definitely not the equal of the Zeta setup. Despite those who hate Chevy and love the Challenger (I like the design of the Dodge, too), the simple reality is that the Camaro will be the more advanced car from an engineering and technology standpoint.

The Camaro will also be closer to the Stang in size. The Challenger will be a parade float.
Old 6/6/07, 08:53 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Worried about speed... go buy an old 5.0 and dump the money in it.

Don't wait for 'x' car because it'll be quicker...because something later will always come out with something better....and you'll always disappointed
Old 6/6/07, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Obi Juan
Easy solution.
Get a 03/04 cobra
insurance is actually cheaper than an 06
+1 ....This one in particular......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...QQcmdZViewItem

hags1
Old 6/6/07, 02:15 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Falchion
Thanks for the info Hollywood. I'd rather have a Camero myself then a Challenger, but I'm not sure I want to wait another year and a half for one.
Can't help you with that one.

Plus, they might be expensive, and hard to fond when they first come out. Also, I'm not sure about Chevy's reliability. My Mustang has been pretty good in that regard.......
Yeah, expect ADMs on the Camaro upon launch. Like anything else, if you shop around and do some early research, you may find a dealer who will try to get you one at MSRP.

As to reliability? Chevy? Ford? Not much to separate them quality-wise, I don't think.

The Zeta platform is being heralded as one of the world's best, and is already underpinning some of the newest Holdens in Australia, I believe. It's a global platform for them, and I suspect it will be superior to the S197 chassis.

How about this? Maybe just get an 08 GT, and then if you want a Camero after they have been out for a year or so, then trade in the GT for it?
Well, sure ... but that's a costly option, right?

As Boomer says, I wouldn't get all hung up on speed. The Mustang GT is plenty fast enough to take most cars on the road in stock configuration; fast enough to be a blast to drive; and fast enough to get you in a whole lot of trouble quickly.

I would probably base my decision on which car appeals to my soul more; which one I like the looks of more; which one offers the features I want.

Of course, if you're a Stanger, it's no decision at all.

Quick Reply: 08 Gt Or Wait????