2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Alarm - Did I get ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/05, 02:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my car a couple weeks ago, and did a fair amount of research on it before buying. One area I didn't research very much was the various Ford-provided security devices, like "Securilock" and "Active Anti Theft". At the time I didn't know what any of that meant...

During the buying process, I asked the salesman about the alarm, and he said that it only guarded against your car being towed away or reached into. He strongly suggested that I add the (what he called) "factory" alarm as well. I agreed. The next week I took my car in and had them install it.

I later saw that the alarm they installed was an Audiovox alarm, the same kind I had in my Toyota truck. A decent unit, but now I'm confused as far as what actual protection I have, and which device is providing it.
It almost feels like I have 2 duplicate alarms in one car, the thought of which is making my blood boil. :angry:

I'm assuming the Audiovox alarm protects from the normal things, like someone reaching in and unlocking the car from the outside, someone smashing a window, someone hitting my car, etc. and that the Ford "Active Anti Theft" alarm protects from people reaching into my car, and someone towing away my car.

Are these correct assumptions?

Can someone illuminate the 2006 Mustang alarm system?
Can someone make me feel more confident that I didn't buy a superfluous, redundant, $600 alarm from the dealer? Thanks.
Old 9/9/05, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I would of went after market with a VIper Alarm.
Old 9/9/05, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

This is what the manual says about the active anti-theft alarm:

Arming the system
When armed, the active anti-theft system is designed to notify you of an
unauthorized entry. When unauthorized entry or towing occurs, the
system will flash the turn signal lamps and interior lamps and sounds the
security horn.
This is what AutoWorld says about it:
Keeping Mustang Where It Belongs

Mustang has an optional, active anti-theft package aimed at combating high performance-car insurance premiums. The package includes:

* Separate Alarm Sounder

Car thieves often begin by disabling the vehicle’s horn to disarm the alarm system. So Mustang employs a separate, remotely located alarm sounder that makes it harder for thieves to disable the system and make off with the car or its contents.

* Anti-Tow Sensor

To guard against the growing criminal trend of tow-away theft, an inclination-sensing module records the vehicle’s angle of inclination when the anti-theft system is armed. If the sensor detects a change in vehicle inclination, it sends a signal to the alarm system, which triggers a separate alarm sounder and flashes the car's lights to guard against tow-away thefts. This sensor also can detect whether one corner or side of the vehicle has been jacked up, to guard against theft of wheels and tires.

* Ultrasonic Interior Motion Sensor

To detect "smash-and-grab" break-ins, an ultrasonic interior-motion sensor determines if glass has been broken or someone has placed a hand or other object inside the car. If an intrusion is detected, the alarm sounder is activated and the exterior lights flash to frighten would-be thieves.

* Perimeter Anti-Theft Protection

Perimeter anti-theft sensors also detect the opening of the hood, doors or trunk when the anti-theft system is armed. If the vehicle is parked and the window rolled down, for example, the alarm is sounded if a would-be-thief tries to open the door to gain access to the car.

* High-Capacity Battery

A 60-ampere-hour battery is capable of sounding the alarm longer. This more powerful battery lends an extra measure of authority to the active anti-theft system and helps prevent battery run-down from use of Mustang's powerful audio system while the engine is off.
Old 9/9/05, 03:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be willing to say you got hosed.

Dunno what the Audiovox does that the Active Anti-theft doesn't.
Old 9/9/05, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

You got screwed. You are correct about the slime. You've basically purchased two alarms.
Old 9/9/05, 03:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by PolkThug@September 9, 2005, 2:35 PM
You got screwed. You are correct about the slime. You've basically purchased two alarms.
That's what I was afraid of. I wonder what I should do... I highly doubt the dealer will remove it and give my money back. Should I even try.

Too bad, too, because I got a good price on my car, and was about to recommend this guy to the rest of you.
Old 9/9/05, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I would suck it up as a painful lesson learned. The more new cars you buy the better you will get at it.

You don't have any footing legally in this issue since you knew it had a Ford "Active Anti Theft" system, the dealer suggested adding another alarm, and you agreed.

Most dealers have a way of getting the money they need out of you one way or another. If they give you a "great price", they will get you with add-ons like worthless "undercoating" or give you a higher % rate on your loan.

You could go talk to the dealer, but that could be even more stressful.
Old 9/9/05, 03:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by PolkThug@September 9, 2005, 2:57 PM
I would suck it up as a painful lesson learned. The more new cars you buy the better you will get at it.

You don't have any footing legally in this issue since you knew it had a Ford "Active Anti Theft" system, the dealer suggested adding another alarm, and you agreed.

Most dealers have a way of getting the money they need out of you one way or another. If they give you a "great price", they will get you with add-ons like worthless "undercoating" or give you a higher % rate on your loan.

You could go talk to the dealer, but that could be even more stressful.
I'm no kid... I've bought 7 or 8 new cars in my lifetme. I just made the mistake of taking the saleman's word for it when he told me that I needed another alarm and explained what the pre-installed one protected aganst. I'm gonna call the salesman and complain anyway, but I doubt that'll get me anywhere. F WORDDDDDD
Old 9/9/05, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, the aftermarket one they put on probably has a bump sensor. So at least you are getting SOMETHING. I don't know if that is a usefull thing or not.
Old 9/9/05, 08:59 PM

The factory alarm is one of the best I have seen. I tested all the features and was very impressed. If you have a convertible, if your top is down, the alarm automatically knows and disables the interior sensors. If you open the door by unlocking it while the top is down the alarm sounds.

For $255 MSRP, you can't beat it. There is nothing worse than a couple of years down the road when you start having electrical problems with the aftermarket alarm.
Old 9/9/05, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Too bad you didn't get the factory system, but I am sure it will work out for you.
Old 9/9/05, 09:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Nazz Nomad@September 9, 2005, 6:01 PM
I'm no kid... I've bought 7 or 8 new cars in my lifetme. I just made the mistake of taking the saleman's word for it when he told me that I needed another alarm and explained what the pre-installed one protected aganst. I'm gonna call the salesman and complain anyway, but I doubt that'll get me anywhere. F WORDDDDDD
:nono: Guess your never to old to learn something new.

Salesman 1

Buyer O

:notnice: Part of the reason we dropped our ordered GT was the slime GMS insisted on his aftermarket alarm at time of delivery or no sale . I truly hope someone forces one up his rearend someday soon.
Old 9/9/05, 10:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go in and ask if they can remove it and use it for another car(wife ,girlfriend,etc.or sell it on Flea Bay)
Old 9/9/05, 10:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

be assertive, and corner that salesman!
Old 9/10/05, 12:13 PM
V6 Member

DO you have 2 remotes now? One for the ford that unlocks the doors and etc.. and one for the audiovox alarm? Or just wondering if they tied them in together.
Old 9/11/05, 05:06 PM
GT Member

Live and learn.
You wont do THAT again.

U B Screwed.

But look at the bright side- around the lunch room table, you'll provide a lot of belly laughs for the sales guys.
Old 10/12/06, 06:37 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
So all the thieves know exactly where to disable the factory installed active alarm system?
Old 10/12/06, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
So all the thieves know exactly where to disable the factory installed active alarm system?
hehe. Unless the thief is a magician and can open the trunk without setting off the alarm, he will not be able to disable the auxilary horn.
Old 10/12/06, 08:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by PolkThug
+1. I would contact the salesman/dealership, if that doesn't work, then contact Ford directly...what do you have to lose? If you ask me, I'm suprised that the dealership is pushing so hard for this after-market device and not pushing the factory option. That's strange that they're admitting that Ford is installing an inferior product. Nonetheless, I've heard/read very good reviews on the factory installed ATS. You definitely don't need both IMO.
Old 10/12/06, 10:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by psychen6;482
[B
* Separate Alarm Sounder

Car thieves often begin by disabling the vehicle’s horn to disarm the alarm system. So Mustang employs a separate, remotely located alarm sounder that makes it harder for thieves to disable the system and make off with the car or its contents.[/B]
989]
When my alarm goes off, the normal horn honks, I don't hear a seperate alarm sound. Where is this seperate horn/alarm and why does it not work on my car? Does it only sound if the horn has been disabled?

Quick Reply: '06 Alarm - Did I get ripped off?