2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

'05 reviews

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/04, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, some of you folks have had your new mustangs for a while, lets hear your impressions of your new babies! I have read some "professional" reviews from Edmunds and Motortrend, but not much from everyday owners...LETS HEAR IT. Please be specific, give us the good, bad and the ugly. B)
Old 12/22/04, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

All I can say Sir, that in the week I have owned this car I love it. It is everything that I wanted and more. It is awsome how it gets my heart racing. A+
Old 12/23/04, 12:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I gave my review in the another thread :P
Old 12/23/04, 07:28 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I am ***** to the wall stone in love with mine......

The Good: Shes a v6 but she sounds like an 04 Gt....I didn't like the 04 v6 because it sounded and drove like a go cart. I find myself muting the stereo to listen to her. The shaker is super awesome. I am down to FM and Cds but when you crank it up- WOW! Handling is great, you barely have to touch the brake or gas to stop and go her. I am also developing a like for the attention I get.

The bad: I have had ONE RWD car in my life(the camaro). It has been 16 years since I drove it, and I have not quite learned how to handle it. I haven't made a hard take off yet. The rear end got loose on me yesterday, I didn't care for that. I am thinking its going to take a little time to learn. I would LOVE to haul from a dead stop at a light....... The Cops give you too much attention too. I don't like that, makes me nervous. I am used to being anonymous.

The Crabby: My husband says if I keep driving it like granny, its going to think thats how you drive it. My dad and favorite aunt think I am going to haul it and kill myself. The insurance is HIGH! I averaged 18 MPG on my first tank(15 gal, 266 miles)
Old 12/23/04, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've had my '05 GT for 2 months now, and have already put on over 3,000 miles (includes a 1,000 mile trip to Sacramento and back).

The car is fantastic, and still gets a great deal of attention. I've had a '99 GT and an '02 GT in the past, and this car is so much better in almost every way than my previous Stangs. The '05 is very tame when I drive it easy, but when I open her up, it is quite the performer. It definitely has a firmer ride than past GTs (which can be jarring over crappy L.A. highways), and handles much better. It is also put together very well. The 3-link live rear axle is much better than the previous setup, though I still would have preferred an IRS (for an additional cost of course).

The only problems I've had are a couple of rattles in the dash, which I've had a service tech at Ford look at but they were unable to replicate. Hopefully I'll get them resolved soon. I also have some of the mentioned gear whine, but have come to the conclusion that this is normal for the Tremac manual transmission. My past GTs experienced this phenomenon also.

The interior is very nice, and ergonomically accommodating. This might be one of the biggest improvements over past Mustangs. The seats are comfortable and supportive, with a functioning headrest. The shifter is very easy to use, and I really like the hydraulic clutch. The pedals are in a perfect position. One thing that I would like is a telescoping steering wheel, rather than tilt only.

Some have expressed concern about the generous use of hard plastic in the interior. There is a lot, but IMO the IUP really breaks it up nicely. The aluminum across the dash, on the spokes of the steering wheel, and on the door opening handles, along with the leather shifter and steering wheel, and the soft Aberdeen door inserts really make a big difference. For the price of the vehicle, I think the interior is great. I also really like the MyColor feature. While I usually stick with the preset red, blue or orange, I think it adds a nice touch of class to the interior.

Overall it is a great vehicle. Now I'm just waiting for the 18" fanblades from Ford, along with some BF Goodrich KDWs. The tires on the GT have too much sidewall and are too thin IMO. I really like the upgraded wheels though.
Old 12/23/04, 08:44 AM
GT Member

I have 2,100 miles on my V-6. It's looks are awesome. Quality is questionable. It's in the shop right now having a new rearend installed. The car has had a loud whine ever since I bought it. The fuel kicks back when I try to fill it up with the fuel handle depressed all the way. The paint on the right front quarter panel was chipped when I took delivery.

I do love the sound of the car and the power of the new V-6. I have owned a few classic coupes(66 models), and I really love how they borrowed from the classic designs. I have not had problems with the Shaker Sound System (Like so many others).

I don't mind the quality issues, I kinda of expected that with a new model. My local dealership was kind enough to allow me the use of a loaner, and I did not even purchase the car from them.

Jim
Old 12/23/04, 08:55 AM

To make it short, I love my mustang, no problems at all. As for the few with problems, every manufacturer has a few problem cars,the problems we are hearing from other mustang owners is par for the course,it is just hyped up because it is the new mustang and some people do not think that this car will have it's problems as well IMO thank you.
Old 12/23/04, 11:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not only do I think this is the best Mustang yet (I have owned several from the
60's , 80's and 90's) but I also think it is the best new Ford in a long long time.

Everything from Design, Fit/Finish, Quality and refinement are just about Spot-on for me on a $25,000 muscle car. Inside and out.

'0' problems. After 5 weeks and 2,000 miles I still can't wait to get in and drive it,
everyday!

There is passion and character to this car that can't quite be described. It's baked in (A tribute to the Mustang team that designed and built this car) and few other modern cars have it. And other people get so excited to see it on the road.

I really think Ford hit a Home run here. Now I wish they would follow it up with
a Ford 427 (Concept 4-door) on this platform.

So, I guess you could say I really like this car!
Old 12/23/04, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Welp, I'll count my blessings as not having any of the problems that others have seen so far with the car. No rattles, the shaker 1000 works like a champ. Only thing I have noticed so far is twice when I have been accelerating hard, I have missd the 2-3 shift cause it didn't want to engage. I haven't seen it recently, so could very well chalk it up to just me being new to a RWD setup and it being the most powerful car I've owned so far.

My biggest complaint? Same as above. I have my old beater car to drive to work (and keep insurance premiums down ), but with the Stang in the stable, it's just too tempting to drive it. So much for keeping it low mileage

P.S. - Forgot one complaint. I am spending WAY too much time collecting music and burning custom MP3 discs for the shaker.
Old 12/23/04, 12:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have only driven mine for 3 days and it is now in the garage while I am on holidays. I do love the car very much but I have 3 complaints already
1. No interior trunk release. It is good for security, but if you are in the yard cleaning out the car and don't have the keys with you, you are out of luck to get in the trunk. A small complaint, but I bet the 06 has one.

2. Manual transmission gear noise. I can live with it, but for a new vehicle I am supprised Ford would let something out on the street with as much slop and noise from a transmission. Again, I can live with it. I am sure more will come of this in the coming months, years.

3. Engine not returning to idle after acceleration. I posted a topic on this one. I find this the biggest complaint. After a quick acceleration to, say, 3500RPM and then hit the brakes, you are fighting the engine and slowing the car with the brakes. Just sit and rev it up in neutral and watch the tach. It does not return to idle quick at all. I do a lot of autocross racing and I can tell you this will be a pain.

4. Did I mention I love the car? The exhaust tone, look, the ride (firm but soft too) and the feeling you get behind the wheel. Thanks Ford!!!
Old 12/23/04, 12:52 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I think I don't like getting gas......Eleanor is afflicted with it too.

Pump upside down and look like a fool doing it.
Old 12/23/04, 01:35 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by cop on my back@December 23, 2004, 1:51 PM
3. Engine not returning to idle after acceleration. I posted a topic on this one. I find this the biggest complaint. After a quick acceleration to, say, 3500RPM and then hit the brakes, you are fighting the engine and slowing the car with the brakes. Just sit and rev it up in neutral and watch the tach. It does not return to idle quick at all. I do a lot of autocross racing and I can tell you this will be a pain.
This could have something to do with meeting emission requirements.
Old 12/23/04, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bison, I am sure it does, but just about any other car out there that does not have throttle by wire doesn't do this. My 2000 GT didn't.
Old 12/23/04, 05:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Eleanorsmine .. I had trouble putting gas in for the 1st two tankfuls. After that,
no problem at all. Hopefully your exoerience will be the same.
Old 12/23/04, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

LOL I don't have to tip the gas handle upside down for mine.

I love my car! Had it almost 2 months, and it's a blast to drive. Everywhere I go I get comments, and even if I didn't, I would still get in it and say, Dang, this is a hot car!
Old 12/23/04, 05:17 PM

I have had mine for 4 days now and still pinch myself when I get inside it. The handling, suspension and steering are all perfect. Nice and tight and I can feel the road. I agree with CA Stang. A pleassure to drive nice and easy, but when you step on the gas, Watch Out! It will set you back in the seat. The auto transmission shifts like a pro on a manual. So smooth and fast. 80 ++++ in a Very short distance.
The hieght adjustable seats will set you anyplace you want. I have the basic 160 watt stereo and love it. No need in my book for anything more.
The only suggestion I would make to Ford is have an adjustment to make the stereo display brighter in bright sunshine. The display washes out when sunshine is shining on the display and one has sun glasses B) on while driving.

I have no problems with my GT, It is truly an impressive automobile. People slow way down to gawk at the car at intersections. They even quit talking on their cells phones to look back at the car. They will leave huge open spaces between themselves and the car in front of them so the can stare at the car until the light changes. (Yes, I'm sure it is the car they are looking at. :worship:
Old 12/23/04, 06:27 PM
V6 Member

Awesome car! I now have it stored for winter, (we have over a foot of snow already) and I still keep going out to check on it. Everytime I look at it , I just can't believe it's here. It's definitely a keeper. One VERY MINOR little thing -- when I plug something in (inside the console) I can't really close the cover, because the cord is in the way. A little identation would be nice. Also, CellOne does not have a way, yet, to install my handsfree phone.
The interior of the car is very nice. It doesn't seem to be lacking anything other than storage space. There really aren' t any cubbie holes anywhere. The trunk is very ample, too.

The sound of the car is the best! I haven't grown used to that sound yet -- it is still exciting!

What a car!